Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Richard Barron admirer.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Richard Barron admirer.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 12:49 AM
Bish Wheeler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Richard Barron admirer.

For my money, with apologies to Nick Zirrolli, the best drawn plans I have ever seen/used are those by the late Richard Barron. Really works of art, suitable for framing, LOL. I have built the FllC-3 Goshawk in qtr. scale, am starting on the Stinson SR 9 also in qtr. scale. Does anyone out there have the Barron plans for the Gulf Hawk in qtr scale? Will be happy to send a copy of the SR9 in trade or pay for a copy of the Gulf Hawk plans. Can't trade for the Goshawk as those plan were destroyed.

Thanks,

Tbish
Old 02-08-2003, 04:41 AM
Lake Flyer
My Feedback: (13)

I remember reading magazine ads for Barrons plans when I was starting out in the hobby, but my allowance wasen't big enough to be able to buy any and now it's to late. I'd love to see a complete list of the plans that he offered.
Old 02-08-2003, 06:09 AM
Bish Wheeler

I spoke with Betty Barron a few years ago and was able to get the SR-9 plans. She was in Arizona and was just getting out of the "selling plans" biz. Why I didn't buy the Gulf Hawk and the Stearman at that time I have no idea.

When I built the Goshawk, I was amazed at how well thought out the thing was. Aside from the landing gear, which I re-did to suit my building abilities, (in other words I ain't very good at bending 1/4" spring steel) the plane went together beautifully and flies like the proverbial trainer, a little heavier than a trainer, but as easy to fly.

Tbish
Old 02-08-2003, 07:02 AM
Lake Flyer

I had a chance to buy the PT-17 plan from an old flying buddy a few years back and passed on it. Still kicking myself for that one. I heard somewhere Barrons did a plan for the Waco UPF-7. Anyone know if that is correct? The UPF-7 is one of my favorite bipes.
Old 02-08-2003, 07:33 AM
Bish Wheeler

I think he only did the Goshawk, P-6, Stearman, SR-9 and the Gulfhawk in 1/5 and 1/4 scale. There may be others, but those are all Betty Barron talked about.
Old 02-08-2003, 09:33 AM
MAJSteve
My Feedback: (-1)

I'm building the Stearman right now. Made copies of the originals so I could glue over the copies.

I'll say one thing - a dowel structure is VERY interesting to put together. Not a lot harder than balsa (except to sand). I agree with the 1/4 " music wire comment too. That, together with the use of extension springs to make the oleos was pretty much a challenge, since the vice I used is 40 miles away (round trip). Then there was the expression on the LHS guy's face when I wanted 6" scale wheels.

Firewall to first former made it necessary to use 2 8 oz tanks to feed the engine. Built in a platform to hold them and once the planking is on, there're in there for good! I also put in 3 x 5/16" sections of allthread with nylon lock nuts between the firewall and the first former. Couldn't get the dowels to bend 25 degrees and stay on the edge of the firewall. Easier to put in the steel rods, then cut the dowels to relieve the stress, epoxy them to the firewall and glue the relief cuts.

Right now I'm making the brass brackets for all the flying/drag/support wires. Learning to be a tinsmith too!

For the wires, I'll probably use Nelson's streamlined wire.

Got a Hazel Sig torso to put in the cockpit - very detailed and realistic with all the pieces put on.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:43 PM
Bish Wheeler

MAJSteve,

Yeah the dowel thing takes a bit of getting used to, it's very strong, but different. Because it is so strong I have incorporated it in other builds. I love the Barron plans, but I think he must have had a secret way of bending 1/4" spring steel. His designs got a little elaborate, way beyond my patience for bending that stuff so I did a redesign and built it my way. Not as cool as Barrons way, but practical. On the SR-9 I have eliminated the spring steel and have gone to steel plate and I have made the gear removable since the thing that seems to take the biggest beating on my planes is the gear.

The Goshawk called for the tall, skinney 8" wheels....8"!!! I ended up using 8" caster wheels that I picked up at Lowes for $8 bearing included. A friend then chucked them up in his lathe at his machine shop and used a grinder to get them to the proper shape. Made an awful mess, but they came out great. Not light, not soft, but the right shape!

BTW, I used the flying wires from Nelson on the Goshawk. Spendy, but very nice stuff. Just remember to lock the jam nuts before you start the engine. If they vibrate loose, the parts are hard to find in the grass!!!

Bish
K7QCP
Old 02-08-2003, 03:19 PM
RGM
My Feedback: (5)

Default UPF 7 Plans

Lake Flyer -
Jerry Behrens has the UPF7 in 1/4 scale. I'm pretty sure hes still selling his plans. Also offers the Travel Air 2000 and D4000(D4D) among others. While not the works of art of Dick Barron, they are quite serviceable.
Old 02-08-2003, 03:51 PM
Lake Flyer

OK, I guess I confused the two names. Do you have an address or know how I can get in touch with Jerry Behrens?
Old 02-08-2003, 04:10 PM
RGM

Default UPF7

The most current info I have on Jerry is about 3 or 4 years old when I got the plans for the UP7.
311 E. Cortland Street
Groton, NY 13073
607-898-4852
Jerry's plans are from about the same time as Dicks. They utilize older, more tradional construction methods. Easily updated if you want to or think necessary. Let me know if you're successful in contacting him.

RG
Old 02-08-2003, 04:29 PM
RGM

Default UPF7

Lake Flyer -
Sent you an email
Old 02-09-2003, 08:53 PM
jetranger-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default Plans

One of the mags had a write up about some one buying the plans and offering them again?????
Old 02-09-2003, 09:10 PM
Bish Wheeler

jetranger,

Well that's good news. Back when I talked to Betty about the SR-9, she said she was not going to market the plans any more and asked me if I wanted to purchase the vellums (sp). It didn't make sense at the time, so I'm glad somebody has them. Do you have any idea which mag it was and how long ago? I would love to have all four plans just to look at, lol. And since I scewed up the plans for the Goshawk I NEED a copy of them in case I have a bad landing!!

Thanks,

Bish
Old 02-09-2003, 11:02 PM
GarySS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of Richard Barron's Stinson SR9 plans that I would sell. Get in contact if interested.
GaryS
Old 02-09-2003, 11:50 PM
jetranger-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default plans

He had more than four plans. I saw a sets for WW1 and a friend built a DR7. Who has them or is going to sell, I have no idea, I think it was M.A.N. I read it?
Old 04-21-2004, 09:08 AM
krizovdp
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Richard Barron admirer.

Did you ever have any luck locating the dick barron plans esp. the gulfhawk?
Old 04-21-2004, 02:40 PM
Harry-RCU
My Feedback: (8)

Good afternoon gentlemen,

I have an unused Barron Stearman pt-17 plan set I payed $70.00 for them a couple of years ago. Was hopeing to get to build it, but just plain don't have the time. I would be willing to sell them if you would send me a picture when you finish it.

Harry
Old 03-19-2007, 09:18 PM
peterpont
My Feedback: (3)

Does anyong know of Jerry Behrens or Dick Barron have plans for a large scale Travel air D4D or a Dehavilland DHC -2 ?
Please personal email me at [email protected]