Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Need help with color documentation.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Need help with color documentation.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 01:02 PM
luckyb001
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with color documentation.

I need to have some proof that FS# 15042 is Glossy Sea Blue. I have a color chip that is FS# 15042 but it does not say Glossy sea blue. I know it is the same but need to provide proof. Any one have something?? Mike
Old 03-20-2007, 01:42 PM
rwright142

Default RE: Need help with color documentation.

I don't recall where I got this information from, but it may help:

F4U Corsair Colors

Salmon
F4U-1 “birdcage” corsair interior surfaces (with the exception of the cockpit) were painted Salmon, a pinkish-brown primer shade. The same color was used as an overall exterior base coat before camouflage colors were applied. Indeed, there is evidence that this color was used as an exterior primer coat for later variants too.

Dull Dark Green
The F4U-1 Corsair maintenance manual specified that the cockpit of early “birdcage” Corsairs should be painted Dull Dark Green. Photographic evidence, however, suggests that some cockpits may have been painted in an even darker shade – probably black.

Interior Green and Black
Most later Corsair cockpits were painter Interior Green, or a combination of interior Green with Black consoles and sidewalls, and finally overall Black.

Non-Specular Blue Gray and Light Gray
The first Corsair camouflage was the early-war scheme of Non-Specular Blue Gray (FS 35189) upper surfaces, and Non-Specular Light Gray (FS 36440) lower surfaces.

Non-Specular Sea Blue, Intermediate Blue, and Gloss White
There are the mid-war colors of Non-Specular Sea Blue (FS 35042) on the top surfaces, Intermediate Blue (FS 35164) on the vertical surfaces, and Gloss White on the lower surfaces.

Glossy Sea Blue
the third major Corsair camouflage scheme was overall Glossy Sea Blue (FS 15042), which remained the standard from late 1944 until mid 1955.

Dark Slate Grey, Extra Dark Sea Grey and Sky
British Corsairs bore the Fleet Air Arm scheme of Dark Slate Gray with Sky lower surfaces. Many Corsairs were delivered from the factory in US equivalents of these colors. Late British Corsairs were finished in overall Glossy Sea Blue.

Gull Gray and White
Gull Gray and White were used on some of the last Corsairs to see US service.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:50 PM
rwright142

This may help too:
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.co...268/rev629.htm
Old 03-20-2007, 02:27 PM
Laird SS

Have you tried contacting the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola, FL. They should be a very reputable source of information.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:18 PM
Prop Nut
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This might help. A buddy has a full set of US aircraft paint chips. 15042 is marked "Federal Standard 595a January 1968 Glossy Sea Blue"