Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

spitty

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 12:30 PM
THESCALEMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spitty

spitty
Old 02-25-2003, 12:36 PM
Slug

Default spitty

Nice.

Very familiar picture/model, should I have seen it elsewhere?

What happened to the background?

Simon.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:55 PM
THESCALEMAN

Default spitty

latest RCSI front cover

cheers

dave
Old 03-28-2003, 01:47 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Default spitty

Gee Grandma, what big propeller blades you have!
Old 03-28-2003, 03:38 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default spitty

Very nice finish SCALEMAN. Did you put the scale ailerons and flaps on her? Let's have a pic if you did!
Old 03-28-2003, 08:08 AM
THESCALEMAN

Default spitty

hi chad

as you probably know the yellow aircraft spit's ailerons are slighty wrong, not true scale, these i left and never changed them. However the flaps i did change, followed the Brian Taylor 83" spit for basic overall dimensions etc just scaled up, didn't use the ply supplied, made them up of 1/32 ply backed with litho plate and introduced 1/16 ply ribs in position relating to full size.
the exhausts again i put in the bin, these are too big, made up a resin mould of a scale stub. Static spinner and prop blades also resin cast from my own moulds, i always do this on all my models, manufacturers just don't seem to get these right from my experience. replaced the canons, rudder, radiators as well. i haven't got a digi camera although i can borrow one to send you some close ups. thanks for your interest.

regards

dave
Old 03-28-2003, 01:55 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default spitty

Dave,
Great job on the spit!! I look forward to reading the rest of your tips in RCSI! :thumbup:
Old 03-30-2003, 04:31 AM
fw190d9
My Feedback: (1)

Default Spitty

Dave, Awesome Job on the Spit! Bring that bird across the pond so I can chase it around with my 109. Look forward to reading more articles in RCSI, its my favorite mag! The 109 is in primer now, should have it done this year. Your tips have been very helpfull.
Evan Q.
http://www.homestead.com/evoshangar/me109.html
Old 03-30-2003, 08:00 AM
THESCALEMAN

Default spitty

hi evan

good to hear from you! been keeping a close eye on your 109 development, must congratulate you on the best informative web site i've found relating to our hobby, keep up the good work, it's excellent.

last article on the spit will be out end of april, the latest cover shot shows the spit weathered, i was very pleased with the way traplet had composed the cover, overlaying it against a background etc thought it looked the part.

all i have to do now is design a silencer and fit the servos and she'll be ready to fly, now the good weather is coming my building time is making way for flying time but i hope to have it ready for the summer. (so many other things get in the way)

be in touch

regards

dave
Old 04-08-2003, 02:51 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Spit

Would you share the engine/muffler combo you used in the spit? We here in the US are trying to fit a gasser in the cowl along with a muffler and have a decent looking front. I'm not even sure thats possible??.. thanks, Regards BobH.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:22 AM
THESCALEMAN

Default spitty

hi bob

not really knowing alot about petrol (gas) engines my choice is the Moki 2.10, i picked one up last year, the problem being the silencer, all of the 'off the selve' types hang out the bottom and need mucking around with, that's why i need to design one. what i've done is made a large panel just behind the bulkhead so i can get access to what i come up with, air will pass though this and out of the carburetor intake, a friend of mine did this with his Hacker spit and it worked very well, all i've done is scale this up.
the 2.10's head sticks out of the cowl but i'll have make another air door in front of this, increasing the air flow. air can still pass out of my scale exhauts that i made.

hope that may answer your question, do you know of anyone using a Moki 1.80 or 2.10? i hear they they powerful engines and can turn a large scalish prop.

cheers

dave
Old 04-09-2003, 11:46 AM
smchale

Default spitty

Dave,
Would you be kind enough to show a couple pictures of this arrangement? I am in the process of making up something for the spitty i'm building and could use the visual assistance. cheers!

I'm planning on using a Moki 1.8 in mine with an Air Hobbies muffler/mount combo. I am debating the exiting exhaust and cooling and will proably do it per the Brian Taylor plans, but would like to see how you handled this. thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	69337_10306.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	36275  
Old 04-09-2003, 03:52 PM
BobH

Default Spit Engine

Dave, I have a Moki 1.8 in my Yellow Spit. I don't have a lot of time on it (even thought its 3 years old) but when it flew the last time it flew pretty well. It's not over powered with the 1.8 but flies scale. I am using an 18x8 prop. A friend is flying the same plane with a Mustang 50 cc gas and a Bolley prop. Lots more speed and vertical performance with that set up.
I have a Slim Line pitts style muffler with My set up. I had to rotate the engine about 10 Degrees and releave the fire wall about 1/8 inch so the muffler clears it. I put a duct in the Fuse of the plane with an exit at the oil cooler on the wing bottom. Air passes in thru the cowl, across the cylinder, thru the duct via an opening in the firewall and out the bottom of the wing. I am also using an onboard igintion for the Moki to keep the plug hot when at low idle. FYI I am currently building the Yellow Bubble P47 from the 78 FG also. I am doing Frank Oiler's "Eileen" form the 84 FS. I did considerable reasearch on the paint of that FG and the defenitative word is that they were RAF Dark Green uppers and sky lowers. This was confirmed by Gary Fry who is the group historian and authored the book "Eagles of Duxford". Thanks for the reply!!! Regards BobH.
Old 04-13-2003, 05:48 AM
THESCALEMAN

Default spitty

hi Sean

thanks for sending the picky.

that looks neat and tidy, does the manifold come from air hobbies?, would like one of those myself. i've never seen that set up so i don't know how it will perform, the muffler (silencer) seems small, or do you now attached a separate can? i'll need to borrow a digi camera from work and take some snaps of what i'am going to do, it will take a few weeks hope you can wait. i'am getting all my aircraft ready for the summer, the spit being the last on my list but let me know what you do, i'am very interested.

i think how to solve this type of problem makes a excellent article, i'll keep you in mind, readers need to see what happens in the real world and what can be brought off the shelve.

cheers

dave
Old 04-13-2003, 06:10 AM
THESCALEMAN

Default spitty

hi bob

thanks for sending the info.

i live 15 miles from duxford, the area i live must have been a mass of aircraft during the 2nd world war, within a radius of 20 miles there must be at least 10 flying fields, US and RAF, my dad can remember seeing the US thousand bomber raids going over the sky full of aircraft, my mum recalls the pathfinders (lancs and mossies) from Wyton, we actual fly our models at Warboys which was a sister pathfinder base to Wyton, i guess this is why i'am interested in aircraft, all i can remember is the F4's, F5's, A10's from Alconbury and the Victors from Wyton during the 60's and 70's.

i've enjoyed building from yellow, want to see how their new P-40 goes, the 47's an excellent kit, i'll send you some close up's of mine, when i borrow the digi camera.

cheers

dave
Old 04-13-2003, 02:22 PM
BobH

Default Spitty

Dave, thanks for your reply. I have corresponded with a few pilots who flew with the 78th viea email. Very nice people. As you might expect their memory of specific details are a little sketchy but they were as helpfull as they could be.
I just saw the Finished P-40 at the Toledo show last weekend. As usual its a very nice looking kit. They had the plane finished and hanging by their booth. I talked to Gary Dye (kit builder) and was told that he used a 3W 50 for power. He indicated the cowl was big enough to hide anything you might want to use. The retracts use Double Air Cycliders per each strut. I didn't ask about accessories etc. but I'm sure some will be available.
Heres a picture of the left side I made for the P-47. I plan on using your plans for the gun sight and build it from styrene. I can't identify what product Lab Board is here in the US?... Thanks for the reply. BobH.

Name:	70334_32102.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	36276  
Old 04-13-2003, 02:26 PM
BobH

Default Yellow P-40

Dave , I'm posting a picture of Yellow's P-40 that I took at Toledo. Regards BobH.

Name:	70335_32102.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	36277  
Old 04-14-2003, 12:00 PM
smchale

Default muffler/mount

Dave,

Here is a link to more information about the muffler/mount combination:
http://www.aero-sports.com/airhobbies/mount.html

I have yet to run it with this setup but from what i have heard they work quite well. I think the volume instide is quite a bit larger than your standard muffler and air hobbies sell an internal aluminum baffle for $15 if you want to make it even quieter. I may try this as well to see the effect it has. The nipple you see in the picture on the muffler is for an optional smoke system if you want. I have this closed completly off for the spitfire.

I was hoping to route the exhaust out the scale location but this may be a bit of trouble so i may have it going out the bottom. verdict is still out on that. I'll let you know how i make out.

Hope this is helpful. Let me know if you'd like more pics, I have a digital camera and would be happy to snap more. Cheers, Sean

PS. Were you able to put anything together in regards to the dry transfers we discussed? I'm still interested in getting some!