RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Zlin 526

Old 09-10-2007, 11:46 AM
R101

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Zlin 526

A wee video of the Zlin flying in a crosswind (that's my excuse for scraping a wing tip on take off !)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awA36byGxeU
Old 09-10-2007, 01:51 PM
vik
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

nice one
I like the 526
I might order the plan from Traplet as my present for X-Mass
Old 11-13-2007, 04:17 PM
jjscott

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Can anyone advise what retracts to use on the Sig Zlin.

Looks like about 95-100 degrees straight back. Is it common to use nose gears and lock the gear from turning? Can a set of standard taildragger retracts be turned sideways 90 degrees and still lock up and down and take the landing stress?

Thanks, Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71565.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	803262  
Old 04-12-2015, 03:08 AM
George62

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Video of a large scale Zlin Z-526 AFS-V Akrobat Special :
https://youtu.be/piruV_96JM0
Old 07-25-2017, 03:55 AM
MikeSell
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just lost a 74" span Zlin 526. If you could identify the identity of the kit it would be helpful. It had a sheeted foam wing and turtledeck with a balsa fuse. It flew so well I'd like to build another.

Last edited by MikeSell; 07-25-2017 at 04:07 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:30 AM
biplano

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default I

Originally Posted by susquach View Post
Had the Sig Zlin.....it flew SUPER. The high aspect wings really made for a nice presentation in the air. But......the ground handling will really take a pilot to school. It loves to head for the ditch with the slightes encouragement. The long nose and narrow set gear, along with p-effect makes the plane a real task master. Once in the air though, all the runway antics will be soon forgotten!
I have a Sig Zlin for 8 years now. Great flying airplane as most SIG kits. Here is the best trick for take off learnt from trail and error: open de throtle slowly and manage the rudder, you will nees little, once tail is up slowly increase the throthle holding a bit of right rudder and she will leave grond smothly tracking straight as an arrow. If you accelerate too fast it will go left too sharply and nose over at same time, you will find yourself pushing rudder all the way and, with the fair amount of diedrhal the wing will bank and you will next have to push aileron to the opposite , quite a mess! Mine flies with a Laser 70. Lots of power fully enclosed in cowl. Never had any problem wahtsoevwr with the plane and is one of my favorites of my fleet. I did bolt a tiny pice of alumnum "L" to the Laser head protruding about half inch outside cowling to protect cowling in case of nose overs. It is still intact! May not be a great choice for dirt runwasys I suspect. I fly on asphalt.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:47 AM
jtisch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I picked up a Zlin 526 yesterday for an amazingly cheap price. It has a white gel coated fiberglass fuselage and and sheeted foam wing and tail. Wingspan is @83" Anyone know who the maker of this kit was? Judging by the dirt and stains, it might be an old one.

J
Old 11-11-2018, 01:57 PM
jtisch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is what it looks like.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:04 AM
jtisch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My Zlin has no plans and there are no markings and there are no markings or cut outs in the wings. If someone out there has 1/5th scale plans could you tell me the distance between the wing centerline and the centerline of the landing gear strut and also the distance from the wing leading edge to the landing gear strut? I don't have any plans or instructions for my bargain buy (if there ever were any), so I am going to have cut and fit some formers to stiffen up the glass fuselage.
Thanks!

J
Old 12-16-2018, 12:15 PM
severke

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi J,
if it wasn't for the white gel coat fuselage,I'd say it's an Airfly kit.
The Airfly kit normally has a polyester fuselage.I sold my kit a few years ago,when I decided to go for the Van Mourik plan,which I still haven't built....
I checked on my Van Mourik 1/5 Zlin 526AS plan :
Total inner wing chord = 399mm.
CL strut to TRAILING EDGE = 287mm
CL wing - CL strut = 145mm
COG - TRAILING EDGE = 233mm

Friendly regards,
Wim.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:35 PM
jtisch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the information! I already went ahead and measured a three-view and cut out space for the retracts, but I will double check with the specs you have provided. Thanks!

J
Old 01-05-2019, 12:08 PM
jtisch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, I made a serious miscalculation. Using the 3-view I had, I calculated the width between the the struts close enough, but I had the gear struts way too far forward. Luckily that is a much easier fix. Good thing I hadn't glued in the mounting plates yet. Measure twice, cut once, anyone?

J
Old 02-02-2019, 10:31 AM
jtisch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, I got the wells for the retracts and the aileron servo mostly done. I was a little worried about hacking out so much foam for the retracts as the wing became quite floppy, but now with the wood all in it, is pretty rigid again. I am going to add some thin carbon fiber tape to it as well. I bought a couple of JR low-profile aileron servos at the RC swap meet the other weekend so the aileron servos will be completely inside the wing with only the linkage outside. Anyone interested in seeing more progress on this project? Be warned I am kind of a slow and/or streaky builder.

J

Last edited by jtisch; 02-02-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:56 PM
stonyZ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hi eurokit in Italy has a scale spinner for the van mourik kit go to the site and search 1/5 scale zlin spinner
Old 03-07-2019, 10:51 AM
jtisch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks StonyZ, I have already purchased the LG struts from Eurokit as well as the mentioned spinner. Moreover, I purchased a new canopy from the UK as the one I got was heavily scratched from sitting around so long. The canopy fit even better than the original and the struts can be seen in the photos I posted earlier, I am happy with them. The spinner, however, just doesn't seem to be the right diameter for this Zlin model ( I still am not sure which kit maker made this Zlin ). The diameter is a little too small. I am also not a fan of how it mounts. The base plate is ahead of the prop. It is also a two-piece spinner. For those of you who are building the Van Mourik Zlin, what diameter spinner would seem correct to you? It does look like there is some variation of spinner diameter on the full-size Zlin. I am giving thought on what to do about the spinner situation for this Zlin. I may modify the one I have or I might even spin a new base part of the spinner on my lathe.

'J
Old 03-07-2019, 11:22 AM
kenh3497

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm in the process of building the Van Mourik Zlin. I bought a short kit from Laser Design Systems. Pretty much a wast of money. Many of the parts were/are unusable and some of the parts that were cut to plan still didn't fit as they were mis drawn. The bottom half of the fuse is now built and need to start on the wing. I'm looking for retracts at a "reasonable" price. So far not much luck on that front. I think I'm going to scrap the wing and cut some foam cores. I'll use some of the wood from the center section especially in the retract mounts and maybe the spar/dihedral braces as that is a good design.

Ken
Old 03-07-2019, 02:25 PM
stonyZ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hi I got 110 degree electric retracts and oleos from hobby king japan they r quite nice, plane is boxed up in storage right now not sure how to post a couple pics I have of it in building stage showing gear
Old 03-07-2019, 02:58 PM
kenh3497

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by stonyZ View Post
hi I got 110 degree electric retracts and oleos from hobby king japan they r quite nice, plane is boxed up in storage right now not sure how to post a couple pics I have of it in building stage showing gear

I've looked at HK and they have nothing now except the ones that retract the opposite direction of what the Zlin needs. Maybe something will come around later????

Ken
Old 03-07-2019, 03:42 PM
stonyZ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

that's too bad always the way...maybe the us store has them if I find the part number i'll let u know
Old 03-07-2019, 04:00 PM
stonyZ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

also I stopped there as I had no room to assemble the outer wing panels, I soon may have that cured but I'm clipping that ridiculus wing down to the kratas version ,instead of 83 inches it will b 73-74 inch this is the version the large one from europe is modeled after....also plan on os 1.20 for power ,i want a aerobatic hot rod. shame this plane wasn't 1/4 or 1/3 scale
Old 03-07-2019, 04:33 PM
stonyZ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

this is the kratas version clipped wing love that paint scheme!
Old 03-07-2019, 05:26 PM
kenh3497

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I like that paint also but plan on the full wing. The AS version has the same basic paint but a light blue instead of the yellow. FWIW there were only five of the AS versions built. I'm going to use a YS 91AC in mine. The power of a 120 in a smaller package. It that doesn't work out YS has a 110 & a newer 115 in the same case size that will give it the power it needs.

I've decided I'm going to scrap the wood wing and cut some foam cores. It will be much less work in the long run. I'm so disappointed I will be using so little of the short kit.

Ken
Old 03-07-2019, 05:37 PM
stonyZ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hi so did u ever confirm whether the second set of wing ribs were ok, i got a set mailed to me as well. I wouldn't mind having plug in foam outer wing panels leave the center section on the fuse would be good.....may look into other options when I get back to it
Old 03-07-2019, 07:38 PM
kenh3497

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by stonyZ View Post
hi so did u ever confirm whether the second set of wing ribs were ok, i got a set mailed to me as well. I wouldn't mind having plug in foam outer wing panels leave the center section on the fuse would be good.....may look into other options when I get back to it
I did get a second set of ribs. They look pretty usable though there are a couple of mistakes they are easily fixed. One rib has a dip which a sliver of balsa would fix. Rib slots are small but that is better than to large. My center section ribs are messed up so thought I'd just start from scratch.

I've been looking real hard at plug in outer panels but don't know how much the retracts intrude into the area where the wing tube would need to pass through. Plug in wings would be REAL nice for transportation purposed. Especially with my 83" wing.

Even though I decided on foam wings I'm still going back and forth about using my wood wing parts

Ken

EDIT; The 6 degrees of dihedral is a concern also for decent size tube to fit into the outer panel.

How did your tail wheel work out? I was looking at them on HK. Would save a lot of work even if you only kept the fork for the wheel and threw the rest away!

Last edited by kenh3497; 03-07-2019 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:24 AM
jtisch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I also bought the tail wheel gear from Eurokit. It is a bit on the heavy side and sticks way up into the fuselage. This is a problem as I am planning keep all the controls on the inside with a single pushrod on the elevator and two cables for the rudder. So, I cut off everything above the bottom of the fuselage, drilled out the strut and am using "standard" RC nylon block and music wire system. This will keep the profile low enough.

J

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service