Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Zlin 526

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 10:22 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also decided to use a nylon nose gear block. I split it in half to get as large a spacing as possible. I also mounted that former at a slight angle so as not to need to bend the wire. I to plan on pull pull for the rudder and am undecided whether to use dual pushrods for the elevators. One on each elevator that exit outside the fuselage like a normal sport plane.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:16 AM
jtisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Say, for this size Zlin, can anyone tell me how far the rear of stabilizer should be from the rear of the fuselage? In other words, the stab hinge line to the rudder hinge line? The glass fuselage outline is a bit vague and I have a bit of room to move the stab back and forth. Progress is being made and the wing, stab, and rudder are ready to be sealed/covered. Waiting for some hardware to arrive and then I should have the ailerons ready as well.

TIA,

J
Old 03-14-2019, 01:49 PM
severke

Hi J,
the elevator hinge line should be about 15mm before the rudder hinge line.
Sorry,no exact figures here,on the Van Mourik Zlin the back sides of the vertical/horizontal stabilizer are hollow,and the front of the rudder/elevator is rounded.

Hope it helps,
Wim.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:29 PM
kenh3497

I've found some retracts for my Zlin. Down and locked has a set in their "120" size. Any sweep you want from 85 to 105 in 5 degree increments. D&L seems to have a good reputation also. Need to save up a bit more cash before I order.

https://www.downandlocked.com/produc...gear-set-90-2/

Ken
Old 03-22-2019, 11:01 AM
jtisch

Well, it is up on its legs and all of the control surfaces are hinged. Servos and engine are next.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:09 AM
severke

Nice!
Hope to see mine standing on its feet as well one day...

@Ken:
Did you consider Electron retracts?
They look well manufactured,and are available in 95° angle.
From what I heard they are very helpful in information too.

Wim.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:44 PM
kenh3497

Originally Posted by severke
Nice!
Hope to see mine standing on its feet as well one day...

@Ken:
Did you consider Electron retracts?
They look well manufactured,and are available in 95° angle.
From what I heard they are very helpful in information too.

Wim.
Yes I did take a look at Electron. D&L was a bit less money and the vender is here in the US and seems to have a good reputation. I did some measuring off the plans and as near as I can tell it looks like the plans call for a 97 degree sweep. Seems like an odd number but that's what I saw. A conversation with the OP (Bish Wheeler) suggested 100 degree sweep. I will be ordering in the next day or two. Cowl and canopy are someplace between England and the US as I type this. Once the cowl and canopy are here I will commence on the upper half of the fuse. I'm concerned that a couple of the formers are not correct. To quote Gomer Pyle... Surpriiise Surpriiise Surpriiise.....

My short kit came from Laser Design Systems. I'm doing a build log on RCG if you want all the gruesome details of the issues with the kit. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...n-526-AS-Build

It would have been A LOT less work to cut my own kit.

Ken
Old 03-30-2019, 10:14 AM
jtisch

Ken, I have read of your troubles with your short kit. I've had to/chose to make some modifications as well. The balsa leading edges on the ailerons, elevators and rudder were only wide enough to sand a straight angle on them in order to get enough travel on them so I removed them cut back the sheeted foam cores and glued on wider balsa sticks. The firewall was too far forward so I cut that back and cut out an appropriate sized plywood firewall.The elevator outline wasn't quite right so it was interfering with the rudder travel so I fixed that as well. There was not enough balsa on the wingtips to get the correct shape so I scabbed on some sheet balsa. I made a boo-boo and put in aileron horns that were too short so I had to redo that. That is all in the rear-view mirror now and things should hopefully go smoother now. Only obstacle I can see is how to mount the cowl without having big screw heads sticking out. That and finding a spinner that will look somewhat right. The one I bought from Italy is too small and my idea for a modification is not going to work.

J
Old 03-31-2019, 10:48 AM
kenh3497

Originally Posted by jtisch
Ken, I have read of your troubles with your short kit. I've had to/chose to make some modifications as well. The balsa leading edges on the ailerons, elevators and rudder were only wide enough to sand a straight angle on them in order to get enough travel on them so I removed them cut back the sheeted foam cores and glued on wider balsa sticks. The firewall was too far forward so I cut that back and cut out an appropriate sized plywood firewall.The elevator outline wasn't quite right so it was interfering with the rudder travel so I fixed that as well. There was not enough balsa on the wingtips to get the correct shape so I scabbed on some sheet balsa. I made a boo-boo and put in aileron horns that were too short so I had to redo that. That is all in the rear-view mirror now and things should hopefully go smoother now. Only obstacle I can see is how to mount the cowl without having big screw heads sticking out. That and finding a spinner that will look somewhat right. The one I bought from Italy is too small and my idea for a modification is not going to work.

J
J,

It seems that most of these Zlin kits have a host of issues. My guess is the rush to get then to market without verifying fit and finish. Or maybe the expectations were just not as high for the designer????? In any case we modelers are a resourceful lot and can fix anybodies "mistakes".

That is to bad about the spinner. Another case of not verifying facts or maybe there is a different 1/5 scale in other parts of the world?

I received my cowl and canopy from Sarik Hobbies out of England on Thursday or Friday. Can't remember that far back hahahahaha! Anyway they appear to be of good quality. The cowl was made of glass mat instead of what I would consider more traditional cloth. It seems stiff enough and out of the box weighs 5 1/2 ounces. It of course need some trimming and all the holes cut so will lose a little weight. Retracts from Down & Locked are in transit and should be here Tuesday or wednesday. I'm excited to see them!! I believe I'm past all the fuselage issues and soon will be moving on to the wing. Wing to fuse fit I think is going to be a small challenge as will the wing itself. OH WELL! Nothing new here! Same old same old....

Currently I'm taking a break for the Zlin itself and have been working on an instrument panel. All the parts have been constructed and I am to the point of assembling the parts. I'll post a photo when complete. In the mean time a photo of the painted parts.

Ken

Last edited by kenh3497; 03-31-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:34 AM
kenh3497

Far from perfect but good enough. I'm just after the illusion any way.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	panel.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	964.6 KB
ID:	2263886  
Old 04-13-2019, 11:04 AM
jtisch

Does anyone have recommended control throws for the elevators and ailerons? I am getting close to setting up the control surfaces. I did spend some time gluing 96 pieces of plastic triangle on the ailerons to simulate the corrugations. After sanding and priming, they look pretty good.

J
Old 04-13-2019, 04:52 PM
kenh3497

I ordered a set of Down & Locked retracts for my Zlin. I got the Gold 120 size as they were the only set I could find that had the 100 degree sweep i was looking for. Of course aftyer the arrived I had to try them out. One of the snap rings that hold the motor assembly in a housing popped out after four or five cycles. i put it back in and it popped out again so back they went.

My D&L retracts went out in the mail last Tuesday, April 9th. I haven't checked my email for a few days and was surprised to see an email from Mitch on the 11th. Here is what he had to say from that email.

Ken we have received and repaired your 120 series main retract set.

1) Problem, Snap ring and electric actuator was not retained in aluminum actuator housing.
2) Reason, Retaining ring groove was machined incorrectly.
3) Solution, Replaced actuators housings on both main retract mechanisms.

Ken only one of the housings had an issue but due to the fact they were both from the same batch of machined housings I decided to replace both housings.
I will further inspect the remainder of that batch of housing when I have sufficient time to determine if they need to be put back thru our machining process or not. Please accept my apology for the issue. You can rest assured they are repaired properly and are packaged for return shipment tomorrow 4-12-19. Mitch Stott

Mitch Stott

Down and Locked,LLC
1158 Chesnee Hwy

Columbus N.C. 28722

Can't complain about that service. According to the USPS tracking they should be here on Monday. In the little testing I got to do the retracts were quiet and smooth. They didn't have the loud whine that you hear from others. BUT whey wern't mounted in a wing which would act like a sounding board.

These retracts are much heaver duty than what I actually need. But, I think that will be a good thing as all the landing force is absorbed by the trunnion and locking mechanism. In a conventional setup, much of the forces are taken by the trunnion pivot pin. The trunnion only has to lock them in place.

Ken
Old 04-30-2019, 09:07 AM
jtisch

More dimension requests! can anyone tell me the width of the fairing for the landing gear strut? The length is settled but how wide should it be at the bottom (narrower) and the top (wider) Thanks!

J
Old 11-22-2019, 08:56 PM
stonyZ

Default van mourick

Originally Posted by Bish Wheeler
Ray,

The thing that probably concerns me the most is the colors. I may be wrong, but when I built the Sig model it seems to me that there was good color documention inclued in the kit. As I remember, I used K&B paints on that model and it finished very well. Not quite sure what I will use this time around.

What are you going to use for power? I have been in contact with Dick van Mouric and he assured me that a 2C .91 (I have an O,S.) will be more than enought power. He says the plane is not fast and is very graceful in flight. I am concerned about the nose over problem that required me to move the gear forward on the Sig, but he assured me that is not a problem here. Of course he says he flies from concrete! Also I notice that the gear is swpt forward a bit which I don't think it was on the Sig model.

Bish
hi any chance u could see if dick has a bellypan he would sell me?thanks
Old 10-17-2021, 11:57 AM
stonyZ

hi so i bought a zlin spinner from euro teck and i find the nut will not fit a os91 surpass and ive never seen a spinner that dosent have a back plate its useless to me, needless to say i ordered a 2 3/4 spinner from cb associates
Old 11-07-2021, 09:19 PM
stonyZ

finally returning to hobby since last post now have a os 91 surpass for this, still no outer wing panels done, put this aside as i have to relearn to fly after a long time away so building back up low wing just in case oh and the eurokit spinner is crap no backing plate and aluminum nut wont fit my os 4st
Old 11-09-2021, 02:47 AM
bozmanx

that looks awesome
Old 12-11-2021, 09:16 AM
stonyZ

R101 any chance u can give stats as to e motor, controller , and batteries u used also did u make at top hatch to get at batteries? thanks