Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Cessna wants royalties if you build a model of their planes!

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Cessna wants royalties if you build a model of their planes!

Old 06-27-2007, 11:04 PM
Ch0pp3r
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cessna wants royalties if you build a model of their planes!

A couple of items here...

5487, well thought out reply but I think you missed part of the point I was trying to make. One underlying, and important point to what I was saying was that Cessna has to protect it's intellectual property from 'all-comers' or risk losing their cases in international court. That means they can't pick and choose who they allow (with a wink and a nod) to copy their property. So this includes modelers too (companies). The good news is they can arrange deals with the modeling industry for reasonable sums of money, if they so choose.

And yes, modelers can build whatever they like for their own personal consumption and use. You just cant go into business building and selling them without a licensing agreement if you are using someone elses intellectual property.

So Anonymouse can put "Cessna" all over all of his airplanes and nobody will care.

This is my opinion and nobody else can have this opinion without purchasing the rights to my opinion. My opinion sells for cheap because it's not worth very much...
Old 06-28-2007, 05:34 AM
H5487

Ch0pp3r,

Understood and agreed.

Harvey
Old 06-28-2007, 07:18 AM
bla bla

That is correct, he can put Cessna on his plane, Nike on his T-shirt, Ralph Lauren on his wall paper if he so please and thats OK, totall legal and free from prosecution. If he starts selling them, thats another matter... or is it? And.... is he REALLY able to reproduce a registrated logo through any mechanical means without permission... even though it's for personal use as mentioned in the first examples?[X(]The plot thickens.

Huummm....But wait, there's more.
Can he then take his one off, mechanically reproduced brand ( for personal use only of course gov') and display it in a public place?[]
The evil intricracies of copyright, not to mention a Litigators mind.
I'll let you debate that for a while
Old 06-28-2007, 05:23 PM
H5487

The way I understand it, Cessna is going after the plans suppliers too. Which means that you won't be able to build that one-off for yourself, unless you draw your own plans too. How many of us will go to that length?

So, then, what about all of those old back issues of RCM, MAN, and MA that included a Cessna plan occasionally? Of course, those back issues were from friendlier times - before building an unlicensed scale model became a felony.

I see a future black market emerging: "Psssst. Hey buddy. Wanna buy some dope or Cessna plans? The first one's free and I'll cut ya a bargain if you'll tell some friends who might wanna do a little Scale RC."
Old 06-28-2007, 08:49 PM
anonymouse

Psst 5487....show me what ya got........(oh yea I ain't a cop)...
Old 06-28-2007, 11:57 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

This discussion has been going on for years! Funny, in the 50's, Santa Fe paid Lionel to use the Warbonnet scheme on their engines.
Times sure have changed!
Here's some recent links.
BTW, the bill of congressman Andrews never got out of committee.
BRG,
Jon

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_26...tm.htm#2672713

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_41...tm.htm#4176529

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_41...yalties/tm.htm
Old 07-08-2007, 07:22 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of the people responding in this thread sound like they are Cessna employees.
For crying out loud! We're talking about model airplanes here! Not attempting to produce counterfeit
full size airplanes.
Intellectual protection my a**. This is all about GREED! The bloodsucking lawyers are all behind this. You know the joke about the bus full of lawyers with one empty seat?
As far as I'm concerned Locheed, Cessna and the rest can go fornicate themselves.
A model airplane is in my opinion no threat whatsoever to the reputation or to the profitability of any of these companies. It's all about money, money, money!
Old 07-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Please do a study of what has happened in the courts regarding trademarks, copyrights, intellectual property, and such. If such things are not aggressively-protected by the makers, then they have a chance to lose their rights. Cessna could lose the right to their own name and trademark, as could any other maker. The creation of licensing has removed exposure to such loss.

Yes, some fees and insurance requirements are needed...take a look at what's happened in product liability litigation. Companies have been held up for large amounts of money when they were in no way responsible for the outcome. It happens all the time. If somebody gets hurt, it's never their fault because they must be a victim, and the attorneys they hire just look for the deepest pockets. Let your name be on a model and you could wind up as defendant in a multi-million dollar lawsuit. You must somehow be responsible because you let your name/product be used.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:39 PM
CrateCruncher
My Feedback: (1)

I don't have a dog in this fight but I have spent time in American manufacturing. I left that segment of the economy because I was unwilling to move to China. Fact: Low-skill workers in post-industrial economies cannot compete with low-skill workers in developing countries. Our competitive strengths are in technological innovation. Strong globally recognized intellectual property laws are vital to regain a viable trade footing.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:45 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

The Top Flite Cessna 310 Kit is NICE, and we are lucky Cessna and Top-Flite have come togather on this.
It is indeed Very Nice.
I noticed that this years Hallmark Ornament is a Licensed Cessna 195. It seams to me that the Licensed products that come to the consumers, are Much
nicer than maybe otherwise.. My .02.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:49 PM
bigchap

i used to manage a model shop and when it was announced that thunder tiger were bringing out a model of the rare bear we got a lot of advance orders,because the owners of the full size got their knickers in a twist over it the price went through the roof and we had to wait a long time for it because thunder tiger had to pay licensing fees,we do live in a strange capitalist world don't we?
Old 09-02-2007, 12:24 PM
mdl76
My Feedback: (5)

Guess ill learn to scratch build...

you will never keep a good man down!
Old 09-03-2007, 01:05 AM
polikarpov i16

no big deal
I will fly in a cessna
13 hours in a 152 befor I had a kid
too many other cool aircraft out there to wast my time building one
most aircraft on my list were built befor 1940 anyway
the designers are not with us anymore so I doubt they will raise a ruckus

mabby its the beer talking
have a great night
joe
Old 09-03-2007, 09:26 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

This really isn't a new topic. Folks here on RCU have been discussing this for years now. And what has changed ? Nothing. Don't worry about what might happen because it already did happen and you didn't even notice.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:14 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Interesting arguments on both sides of this discussion. Remember, this is about BRANDS not lawyers. Consumers are more likely to purchase something that immediately invokes a cool, nostalgic image in their mind. That's why model manufacturers select these scale subjects.
Anything that bears the Cessna silhouette, brand name, or model designation is going to somehow have an impact on the company's reputation if it does not perform to expectations. A lot of this is about image. Union Pacific expects the manufacturers who use their logos and designs to put out a product of good quality, quality which enhances the image of the company being modeled. Cessna is no exception. I bought a Great Planes Cessna 182. Sure, Great Planes made the ARF. But it still looks like a Cessna, taxis like a Cessna, flies like a Cessna, lands like a Cessna. For those reasons, the design of the craft is going to be seen as Cessna's intellectual property, which will be protected no differently than an IBM software application. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, swims like a duck, and it's duck season.....

NorfolkSouthern
Old 09-05-2007, 01:58 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

.....call it a Cessna and shoot it!
Old 09-05-2007, 07:17 PM
bobcat10_4

I find it interesting that something like that would appear; at least in my case. I have, for the past 4 years, building a Pica Skylane to pictuers I took of a Skylane II