Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

CD Scaledesigns Pup build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

CD Scaledesigns Pup build

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 07:00 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CD Scaledesigns Pup build

ORIGINAL: allanflowers
...have had two and a half flights since.
Half a flight doesn't sound good! But congrats on getting it into the air (again).
Old 03-16-2009, 10:31 PM
allanflowers

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Another update on this model. I have pulled it out and put it in the air, four flights since last Friday. All take offs have been good but the landings are still a little difficult.
My last flight, today, was one of the best. I have added rudder and elevator throw, which helps me on the landings. As long as I bring it in and let it settle on the the gear and then hold full up elevator to keep it glued, and get on the rudder in sharp stabs to keep it straight, it lands good.
After the the third flight Saturday, I pulled the cowl off because the dummy engine seemed loose. Well, it wasn't the only thing. The muffler mount, one of the cowl blocks and the port side lead weights had all come loose inside there. The dummy engine had completely separated from the cowl. Vibration, combined with some hard landings, is very hard on attachments.

My lesson in all this is to simplify and secure (physical screws with the epoxy, etc.) all mountings, simplify and take a more basic approach on rigging (the little machine bolts I have used on the hand made clevises are unreliable - I am replacing them with non-scale bent straight pins).

After another flight on Weds, I will pack the Pup up and take it to the 1/8th Scale Airforce Meet in Cave Creek AZ this weekend. I have a house nearby and have joined that excellent club (Sun Valley Flyers).
I hope to see some of you there.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:06 PM
allanflowers

Here is a brief update on this airplane. I had taken it to Phoenix (Cave Creek actually) but only had one flight due to high side winds. Nonetheless, it earned a plaque "Second Place, Best Biplane Flight, 1/8th Air Force) so I am happy about that. I took it a few days later to the Gilman Springs (California) Dawn Patrol where my friend Curtis Kitteringham flew it, and it got a 2nd Place (overall) - a very nice outcome.
Today, I had three flights - all pretty good - at the First Weedwackers Squadron Scale Fly In in Lakeside, CA. The little plane got the trophy for Best Military, along with many nice comments and lots of interest. Here are a couple of pix, of the line up and the Pup with its trophy. Chris, I talked to one of the club people who told me he had some good shot of the model in the air. I will post these and past them on to you as soon as I get them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92014.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1204364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83417.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1204365   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65313.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1204366  
Old 05-23-2009, 07:21 PM
abufletcher

Congrats! What has been the problem on the landings? Oh, and I agree with the need to simplify the functional stuff on a 1/6 scale model.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:40 PM
allanflowers

The landings get ugly if the plane is moving too fast when it settles onto the tail - as the plane slows, it gets squirrly and will catch a wing tip and then go over. Therefore, any headwind (down the runway) helps. Ihave had recent success (maybe 75% of the landings) by bringing it in just off the deck and holding full up elevator until it settles to the runway.
Then, with full up elevator to 'stick it' down, getting decisively on the rudder to keep the heading. Occassionally it need some aileron to keep the wing tips level too. I have a high rate for elevator which is used only for the landings and it helps a lot.
I had early overheating/ engine sagging problems so I run it quite rich even though the high end is not so good. The Saito 62 has enough at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle to fly it okay anyway. A little burst of full throttle is good just before a loop or Immelman.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:03 PM
abufletcher

That sounds similar to what I've seen so far with my Legionnaire. I really need to keep flying it until it stops moving.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:20 AM
CTDavies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is amazing news, Allan, three trphies within a fews weeks. I am very proud and I guess you are too.
Chris (who's looking forward to seeing the flying shots)
Old 07-01-2009, 01:39 PM
allanflowers

Finally got the CD with the pix of the Weedwackers Scale Fly In. Many thanks to Ben Newkirk, the club pres, who took the great photos.
Yes, that's me landing the Pup.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47556.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1228067   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65085.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1228068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53993.jpg
Views:	12