Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Royal Kits

Old 12-07-2007, 01:05 PM
2HI2C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Royal Kits

Here are some Royal planes I built in the 80s. Both are no longer with us. A while back I bought a P-38 from Ram-Bro already started. Haven't done much to it yet but planning on it this winter. I must say that ARF's take up more of my time these days but I still enjoy a little sanding & glueing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52306.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	820393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28993.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	820394  
Old 12-07-2007, 03:33 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was wondering how that P38 is doing......
Old 12-14-2007, 05:12 AM
Riddle4U

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jaka,
I can't but notice what a nice field that it looks like which you fly from! Can you share some other pictures and explanations of your club? I went to some website related to you and apparently an active racing type experience that you have. Feel free to elaborate here, as I explained early in the thread that anything goes here as long as we return to the main topic eventually! That really looks like a terrific DC-3 (again). I hope all will continue to give here (pictures please!)! Also, "Scaledail"; until we get better (who knows), your's is my vote for best Royal build here so far(just my lite opinion). Can you post some more pics of that nice P-38?Really it is all fun, and I think all viewing this thread appreciate it. This thread is what YOU the READER make of it,.....so keep weighing in everybody!
Old 12-14-2007, 05:30 PM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

Those pics I posted are about as good as it gets for my P-38. it has many scale problems. it was pure luck that I placed so high in my Scale Masters qualifier in the open class. it is over twenty years old. I could list all of those problems, but wont. the pics that luke posted are of the best Royal P-38 that I have seen, it was on Hobby Barn's website when they sold Marataka kits. and if I remember it even had fowler flaps.
Here are some pics of my next Royal P-38. it will be a rebuild. I got the remains and SOMEDAY will rebuild it with everything! fowlers and gear doors! why rebuild this wreck? because it is a Royal P-38!!!

Name:	Rp44333.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	825573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97573.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	825574  
Old 12-14-2007, 11:34 PM
Ram-bro

I received my Royal 1/5th scale F4U1-a today....looks like somebody chopped down a tree stuffed it in a box and slapped a Royal label and a pic on it.BOY you Royal guys are one tuff breed...
Old 12-15-2007, 04:50 AM
Riddle4U

Ram-Bro don't be intimidated! I love the thought of carving through nice old balsa (build that thing). True joy, not toughness really. ...Scale dail..I think I'm getting a tummy ache looking at that broken P-38 "project" of yours. You trully must be tuffest of the tuff here. 'scuse me while I retire to the bathroom...arrrghh...huh......raaaalph!
Old 12-15-2007, 11:18 PM
scale dail

Actually I have rebuilt more wrecks over the years than built new. I used to see guys bring new warbird models to the field and then thumb through my wallet to see how much money I could offer them when it crashed on takeoff. I got one of the first Top Flite Bearcats that way when the guy snapped it on takeoff back in 1983. I rebuilt it and flew it all through the 80's. still have it. I got a Royal Stuka the same way, snapped on takeoff. these guys thought something was wrong with the plane. so I offered a small sum for the wreckage, and rebuilt it. they flew great! I have several wrecks now awating their turn on the operating table. I wish I had more building time!
Old 12-16-2007, 12:16 AM
Ram-bro

Di t Dit Did a , dit dit dida dida dit, dit dit did a dida dida dia dit, dit dit dida dida dit dit diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. New name for you ....Sanford of ssanford and son fame. wanna get rid of that bearcat?
Old 12-16-2007, 02:37 AM
Riddle4U

Nice to here those storys scale dail! Apparently many don't know how to climb out properly with high wing loading. That means a scale take off with a long run. I see it every time I go flying, and people actually brag about how they can takeoff in ten feet! Bragging about it actually! UnBELIEVABLE! If you actually went through full scale flight training, in the time or now, you stood a good chance of dying in a training accident (takeoff or landing). People at the field will execute a rolling 360* maneuver, or hover like a helicopter..and yet they are completely incompetent with the subtleties of taking off and landing properly AT ALL! Throw in a cross wind and they'll go twenty feet, get blown sideways and than give full up stick and accept whatever (than proceed to show off with loops and snap rolls). I'm glad you are benefiting from the poor state of piloting we see out there. It's not all their fault of course, you could get as many opinions as there are flyers out there, but unless you have some full scale knowledge of flying, even from a book..you are not qualified to instruct at a high level. Most model planes are ridiculously overpowered and as soon as you get something with a scale wing loading (or worse), and a realistic power loading, you will be screwed. Ha Ha! I don't mean to be overly disparaging here, but we could improve on flying knowledge generally in this hobby..just an opinion[sm=lol.gif]
Old 12-16-2007, 07:14 PM
scale dail

ORIGINAL: Ram-bro

Di t Dit Did a , dit dit dida dida dit, dit dit did a dida dida dia dit, dit dit dida dida dit dit diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. New name for you ....Sanford of ssanford and son fame. wanna get rid of that bearcat?
HA that's me! the TF Bearcat has been partly rebuilt into Rare Bear. another project I have to finish while I am still young enough to fly it!!
Old 12-16-2007, 08:05 PM
saramos

And how's the Mustang comming along??
Old 12-16-2007, 09:44 PM
FokkerAce

Hi, All.

Have a Marutaka/Royal Navy Type 2 Fighter Seaplane {Zero w/ floats}, new in box. 60 size.

Was one of the last, had to beg Hobby Barn to get it. was going to build it and fly it at the lake.
Plans have changed, and it doesn't fit with my WWI passions.

I can copy plans/patterns for you, or if you can't live without it, PM me

FA[8D]
Old 12-16-2007, 10:03 PM
Riddle4U

Can you post some pics of the kit, some may be curious here? Thanks!
Old 12-18-2007, 11:29 PM
Riddle4U

A few more pictures of my Zeke. Happy holidays everyone!

Name:	Lj23988.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	829038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78668.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	829039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75821.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	829040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22977.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	829041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rd42360.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	829042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gx30193.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	829043  
Old 12-18-2007, 11:43 PM
Ram-bro

excellent work Riddle. How did you do your rivets? good size and consistent shape.....
Old 12-19-2007, 04:30 AM
stick08

Hi,

Nice zero ,how did you made the openning in the cowl ? once the exhaust flaps are cuted ,its difficult to fold them due to the roundness of the aluminium cowl, and the marks/ rivets what is your method ?

I'm going to finish my third Zero from Marutaka.

on this movie from my first kit 12 years ago you can see that I couldnt fold nice the openning exhaust's flaps

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=JROrrpX2QMotks

tks

Dan

Name:	Eb86600.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	829101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51165.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	829102  
Old 12-19-2007, 04:34 AM
stick08

Sorry here the correct URL

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=JROrrpX2QMo

Hi,

Nice zero ,how did you made the openning in the cowl ? once the exhaust flaps are cuted ,its difficult to fold them due to the roundness of the aluminium cowl, and the marks/ rivets what is your method ?

I'm going to finish my third Zero from Marutaka.

on this movie from my first kit 12 years ago you can see that I couldnt fold nice the openning exhaust's flaps

tks

Dan
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=JROrrpX2QMo
Old 12-19-2007, 06:55 AM
FokkerAce

I'll try

FA[8D]

Name:	Lj23070.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	829127   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37841.jpg
Views:	268
ID:	829128  
Old 12-19-2007, 04:15 PM
Riddle4U

Thanks Ram-Bro, the rivets really are just the tried and true glue drop method. I wish I could remember which glue, but I kind of think it was slightly thinned Elmer's Carpenter glue (Brownish color). I had to experiment with several glues and amount of water-thinning (25-30%?). There aren't a lot of Zero's to take pictures of (and only a few books), so I used a nice plastic kit, a pair of drafting dividers, and a calculator to scale up the plastic model's panel dimensions (I drew pencil lines on the glassed finish). A company that used to advertise in Scale R/C Modeler magazine made an aluminum syringe that I used. The rivet size is probably a bit large on mine for scale, but I think the effect comes across better from a distance. Experiment on cardboard first! Too thin and you get a really uggly wrinkly thing, and thiner still, spreads out too much(too thick just doesn't work at all). It takes at least 24 hours to dry in my experience (only then will you see how much the drop will sink or shrink down in the middle). I prefer the nicely domed ones on my model, but where it sinks in the middle it is a nice effect as well. The spacing was completely eyeballed and you just get into a rythm making a nice drop along the line and moving to the next one quite quickly (I practiced for a few days on cardboard, with different sizes of wet drops and glue consistency-waiting 24 hours to dry). Good luck!
Old 12-19-2007, 04:43 PM
Riddle4U

Stick 08, it has been awhile since I built this model, but I'll try to explain. The cowl flaps are really opened very little in actuallity, maybe 3/16ths inch measured at the back (maybe 3.5 or 4mm). As you probably found, it is impossible to go further and not "buckle". I remember putting a lot of force with my thumb, on the inside (at the fold line), to maintain the roundness as I bent only slightly the flap. If I had to do it today, I would build a small plywood form on the inside with the same radius and some wood on the outside (also to protect from scratching), then clamp it up before bending. Using the latter method and perhaps some heat from a hobby torch, I think you could bend them out a little further if you wanted (I don't think that is necessary to look good though). The raised panels along the cowl mid-line are actually just very thin card stock that I got at an art supply store, it has a smooth finish unlike most cardboard. I scribed around the piece very lightly with the tip of a #11 exacto blade after paint was dry(use the back of the blade). Oh and the cut outs were just ground with a Dremel. I'm going to try to find this movie you mentioned, now.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:11 PM
Riddle4U

Stick 08, I just watched your Utube video. Wow, that flies nicely. Very smooth it looked to me, and in a force-5 gale, I notice. Who says these "small" models don't fly well! The higher wing loading must help in these windy situations. Your cowl flaps don't look bad at all, I made rounded cut outs for my exhaust stacks (not mounted in my pictures). I need to get some books so I can see if I'm good on that scale feature or not. Video is pretty good too. Its hard to get decent video of models unfortunately. Thanks for sharing this! I see number "3" is coming along nicely, I like that you have gone for a fabric covered control surface on yours (I didn't on mine).
Old 12-20-2007, 04:33 AM
stick08

Riddle, thank's for your mail , I send you others pics , where you see I make also the flaps and the rear stab / fin are made from Depron , when it will be finished you will not see difference between balsa covered and depron covered . if will have also a retractable tail wheel ( maybe made from GWS small retract for parkflier )
so many years I'm flying a zero and I don't like to see the tailwheel pending !

Name:	Fd92162.jpg
Views:	258
ID:	829844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12450.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	829845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67720.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	829846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd88646.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	829847  
Old 12-20-2007, 05:45 AM
Riddle4U

Stick 08, thanks for your continuing input here. Thanks also for trying with the best English...I can make out the "tail wheel pending" comment, and you'll notice my little hole is not scale but somewhat aesthetic anyway for the tailwheel. I used Robart's. I think it is of first importance to make a nice looking "model". Future efforts on my part will involve more attention to all details. It is nice to realize that this site is actually international! I see your latest exhibits some nice split flaps. My sister in law is from Alsace region. Perhaps you could private message me and she could translate! Ha Ha I hope some people will look at your video link, I could see your clothing move in the wind (and the sound in the mic) and I don't have your flying courage![sm=lol.gif]
Old 12-20-2007, 05:54 AM
Riddle4U

Scale dail..show us that Rare Bear!
Old 12-21-2007, 03:53 PM
jsmeed

I just bought a set of plans and templates for a Royal P-38 and am thinking about trying to scratch build one. My only real question is how does it break down for transportation? It's not real clear from the plan how/if it comes apart to get it into the car.

Any help is appreciated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.