Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Royal Kits

Old 01-25-2008, 12:51 PM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Royal Kits

NEW ROYAL KITS!! 1968

This from Model Airplane News March, 1968.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30365.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	451.0 KB
ID:	860601  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Lg18005.pdf (447.9 KB, 51 views)
Old 01-25-2008, 08:43 PM
scale dail

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is another blast from the past for you Royal Ki-43 Oscar fans-
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88819.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	860980  
Old 01-25-2008, 11:20 PM
Riddle4U

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the picture Scale Dail. $45.00 sounds good for a hand cut kit! Inflation alone hasn't been that much in 38 yrs, I guess balsa is much harder to get now? I wonder what Royal would sell them for today if....

Thats is quite an elaborate cover! Is that photo of Denver?
Old 01-26-2008, 01:17 AM
scale dail

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got my last Royal P-38 kit in 1996. it was $259.99+ tax at the hobby shop. the Ki-43 cover pic was taken somewhere Japan.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:32 AM
Riddle4U

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That sounds appropriate Dail. My unbuilt .60 Corsair was probably around $169.00 from Tower (1989?) and I bought the dummy engine, cockpit kit, and Rhom rotating retracts (all still in the Royal box I found out). This whole thread was started after I read Dionysus Bachus Corsair build thread. I opened the box for the first time in years and was reminded that Royal operated out of Denver. I looked at the address on their minimalist instruction sheet and mapquested the address....Two blocks away from me! I guess it would have been a distribution center. It is now a Japanese car "hot rod" shop. Hot rod in quotes 'cause I know what a real hot rod is! More exciting "Royal" stuff to follow since I've decided to do a 1/6th Royal plans Corsair blow-up. Lots of nice posts here, thanks all!
Old 01-29-2008, 01:24 PM
Kelsey_B

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: scale dail

NEW ROYAL KITS!! 1968

This from Model Airplane News March, 1968.
That article was very interesting. It states that the planes were designed by Royal. I always assumed Marutaka was the designer. I wonder why Royal had them built in Japan? The econonmy wasn't quite so global in 1968. I also wonder why, if Royal/Marutaka could produce kits with very good scale lines, why other manufactures miss so badly with their designs. How hard is it to make a Corsair look like its full size counterpart.

Just some thoughts that popped into my head when I read that.

Edited: Fixed some grammatical errors!!
Old 01-29-2008, 03:05 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Royal was the American name, kinda like Datsun was to Nissan,,
Still a lot of lingering bad blood in the 60's.
Think about it? all the guys that fought in the pacific were still in their 40s-50's (Prime spending age)

I think we all got over it when we started buying their cars, TVs etc.

To answer you other question,
It is just a easy to make a scale kit, it not as easy for the Modeler to build and fly it though
Old 01-29-2008, 04:53 PM
bacplus
My Feedback: (432)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This may be an OT , but I received my Canopy and Glass Cowling for the Oscar from uswings and they are first class. I would reccomend to anyone. BTW I blew the plans to 78".....and with the 23015 Airfoil is preferred to use. Guess I'll be on my own to make the cowl and canopy, but there has to be a first time though........again Kudo to uswing!!

-Bill
Old 01-29-2008, 08:25 PM
Baldeagle
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bill That is going to9 be a nice size on the Oscar. The cowl and canope you got is it inlarged to fit the bigger Oscar? Did you have to send him a plug for the canope? Thanks Rich
Old 01-29-2008, 09:51 PM
bacplus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I wasn't clear about my Oscar. My apologies. I have built mine from the original plans and then liked the "overall" design so much I blew them up. uswings made my canopy and cowl for the original size. After closer inspection of the Oscar wing and airfoil , I discovered the tip was 7% Symetrical (zero-zero set-up) and no washout. I modified the Root to 1-1/2 Degree incidence and 3 degrees washout and cut my own cores with a rounded leading edge to help get the retracts as forward as possible to look at least correct. The airfoil is a NACA 23015 Root and a NACA Tip. I think the Fuse can be built up reasonably light , and I see no sense in using resin , etc but only dope and tissue , and silk for the fabric control surfaces. Wings are already cut as are the Stabs being complete and finished also. For an odd reason I really like the Oscar. I just wanted to clarify for you.

Regards, and God Bless

-Bill
Old 01-29-2008, 10:50 PM
bacplus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Another request.....Does anyone have a lead on the plans for a Royal "Tony" or "Stuka"....With some gentle mods these both could be some great subjects and also built light.

-Bill
Old 01-29-2008, 11:34 PM
Klaatu
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bill, please consider starting a build thread for your Oscar adventures. I for one would really appreciated it. I hope to get my Oscar on the build bench some time next year or so. Having data for a more flyable wing would be extra nice, indeed. If you have pictures but need a host for them, I can provide that.

- Jan
Old 01-29-2008, 11:46 PM
bacplus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That would be fun. (I think). I am not much of a Photog but I could forward to you. I wil e doing a concurrent build on Vance Moshers Foam Grumman Mohawk and I think its possible. The biggest revelation is showing the retract mods for my foam wing. I anticipate some ply riblets to anchor
the retract plates , but other than that I want the retract angle to look like the Oscar. Jap airplanes have extremely retract angles. The retracts might need to be modified to retract much like the P-51 or FW-190. I found a great site showing a salvaged Oscar clearly showing the wheel well and it blends with the curve of the airfoil. Cockpit scheme is the next "look-for" and then an identifiable Color Scheme......Not Gaudy but complimentary. The main thing is to acheive a flyable subject that is not the typical overpowered crotch rocket flitting around. I'll stay in touch.

Blushing now.....LOL

-Bill
Old 01-30-2008, 11:47 PM
Riddle4U

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For what it's worth, I appreciate the Oscar for it's simple lines and proportions. The Zero is of a like aesthetic, but more common. Glad to see people look at these. I like the "George" which is like a P-47 or FW-190 a bit. I've seen the real Zero at the Smithsonian, and one thing I can say is that the fit and finish is such that one would think it went through the worst possible hail storm! NOTHING like American fighters!
Old 01-31-2008, 12:11 AM
bacplus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ultra weird........I have almost finished my George. The plane it beat out in competition, the Jinpu, is the most attractive Japanese Fighter I have ever seen.

http://www.samoloty.ow.pl/rys/rys058.jpg

I was amazed to read of the Oscar shooting down some P-38's with only the Cowl mounted machine guns. I agree about the simplicity of the Oscar. Its to my liking as the George and Tony. Would love to find some detailed info on the Willow Recon plane......Sorry for the OT remarks.

-Bill
Old 01-31-2008, 12:40 AM
Riddle4U

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just looked at your link to the pic. That is neat. Planes like that would make teriffic scale subjects. I have some patriotic sentiments, so I can't go hog wild on the Japanese subjects. With all the common American planes coming out as ARFs, I think it is time for us builders to look at Kingfishers, ducks (Grumman), and other weird American e.t.c. That said, if you can make an odd Japanese plane well,.. go for it!

As an edit: forgot to complement you on your "George". Post pictures please!
Old 01-31-2008, 10:47 AM
bacplus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

http://www.skynet-1.com/aircraft/j6k1.html
http://www.skynet-1.com/serise09/jinpuu.html

Does this help??

-Bill
Old 02-01-2008, 06:07 AM
Riddle4U

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks! Nice drawings.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:35 AM
bacplus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Anyone wanna see a Build on the Oscar or my larger Oscar?......If not I'm gonna build the Jinpu because its a great subject. If I do the build, I don't like seeing pics of Foam being cut. I prefer to see the retract installation and the intenal Fuse structure.

-God Bless, Bill
Old 02-01-2008, 10:55 AM
FokkerAce

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yes, and yes. Both are cool subjects.

Any interest in the B-17 back in post #86????? Need to sell it and get it out of my workspace

Also entertaining serious offers on Marutaka Navy Fighter [ Zero w/ floats ]....can also copy plans of same.

thanx, FA[8D]
Old 02-01-2008, 11:20 AM
bacplus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looking for plans for a Tony .......any help??

-Bill
Old 02-01-2008, 11:53 AM
bacplus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You might wnna try the George on Floats......very attractive. I have many copies of the George.
Not a hard build. Mine is 3/4 finished......Sheeting the cuffs on my Oscar now. Klatuu better get ready for some Oscar Build pics.

-Bill
Old 02-03-2008, 07:19 AM
Riddle4U

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bacplus, I am sure we would all love to see either build. If you want an opinion, I like the idea of a built-up 1/6th Jinpu (no foam Please)! Now that really could be a contest winner! Again, it is OK to go off-Royal momentarily (just post link to your thread). KelseyB, I want to know more about Royal's history. I personally know of a local Colorado company that off-shored manufacture of it's Spyder ski-wear (friends of mine), from 70's till this day. It wasn't strange to me then, even. I always thought Royal was an American kit in the day, but the crazy instuction sheet had me wondering! I suppose as an American, it would be nicer to think that Royal was more than just an importer, and just had them made over there to order. Let us find out! I posted earlier that Royal's old address is two blocks away from my home here! I also want to make it clear that I don't hold any animosities toward Japanese products, aircraft, e.t.c., just preferences toward our stuff.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Baldeagle
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bill sent you a pm on the Tony. Rich
Old 02-03-2008, 11:44 AM
bacplus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I know what you are saying. I love how ridiculously simple the Retracts on Japanese aircraft are.
After looking at an Oscar that was dredged up from a Lagoon, it appeared the L/G Struts had a Flange that could be unbolted for a quick change in the field.......apparently not fast enough.
I'm silking and doping some easier parts of the Oscar now and I'll drag out my Drafting equipment and see what can occur with the jinpu. I can only try......LOL. God Bless,

-Bill

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.