Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Royal Kits

Old 05-03-2016, 07:39 PM
  #1626  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 10,333
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Nice but would you lose the exposed pushrods on a hard landing like on the original OS Max .60 4 cycle?
FlyerInOKC is offline  
Old 05-04-2016, 05:25 PM
  #1627  
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 1,182
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

i guess depends on the landing, also i have an os 60 four cycle open rocker, i simply chose to put mine upright and mounted it in my royal spirit of saint louis.
What blew me away was that about a year ago, i saw the morton m5 mounted inside the aluminum cowl of a royal 40 size zero! that prompted me to think great it will be even better for the corsair.
so far there are 2 options, either machine the casting kit, or machine the entire engine from solid billet aluminum like the Lee Hodgson radial.
I-fly-any-and-all is offline  
Old 05-16-2016, 02:28 AM
  #1628  
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)
 
scale only 4 me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Avon Lake, OH
Posts: 9,918
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/ite...itemId=1072174
Funny seeing something you built almost 20 years ago up for sale, I wondered what may have happened to it,, but it still looks pretty good,, check the link

be nice to have it back actually
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lg-191970.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	2162766  
scale only 4 me is offline  
Old 05-16-2016, 09:13 AM
  #1629  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 10,333
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me View Post
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/ite...itemId=1072174
Funny seeing something you built almost 20 years ago up for sale, I wondered what may have happened to it,, but it still looks pretty good,, check the link

be nice to have it back actually
Heck of a drive to pick it up though!
FlyerInOKC is offline  
Old 05-16-2016, 10:06 AM
  #1630  
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)
 
scale only 4 me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Avon Lake, OH
Posts: 9,918
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Yes, don't I know it, I have friends and family out there,, I was just out there for 3 weeks, just got home 2 weeks ago,, doooh

p.s.
Camped a night at El Reno Lake on my way home,,, hauled arse out of there to beat those twisters that week
scale only 4 me is offline  
Old 05-16-2016, 10:16 AM
  #1631  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 10,333
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me View Post
Yes, don't I know it, I have friends and family out there,, I was just out there for 3 weeks, just got home 2 weeks ago,, doooh

p.s.
Camped a night at El Reno Lake on my way home,,, hauled arse out of there to beat those twisters that week
No sense of adventure! ;-)
FlyerInOKC is offline  
Old 05-17-2016, 03:10 AM
  #1632  
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)
 
scale only 4 me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Avon Lake, OH
Posts: 9,918
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I had plenty of adventure dropping into St.Louis that afternoon
scale only 4 me is offline  
Old 06-07-2016, 09:15 PM
  #1633  
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 1,182
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I'm a loss for words, a marutaka hell cat mint in box just ended on ebay a few hours ago mint in the box sold for $255! My god whoever got that got a steal!!!!!
heck this time last year a mint marutaka p-61 sold for $900!!!!!!
i messaged the seller about buying a copy of the plans.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marutaka-Roy...gAAOSwR5dXTcms
I-fly-any-and-all is offline  
Old 06-07-2016, 09:20 PM
  #1634  
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 1,182
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

two more rare royal kits that ive never seen:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-ROYAL-R...AAAOSwepJXU3t0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-ROYAL-S...cAAOSwvg9XU3rC
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	royal regulus.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	319.9 KB
ID:	2166839   Click image for larger version

Name:	royal star.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	2166840  
I-fly-any-and-all is offline  
Old 06-08-2016, 05:14 AM
  #1635  
G.F. Reid
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Palmetto, GA
Posts: 844
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Bearcat on the 'bay.... Man, these things are getting expensive. I'd like to build another wing for my 'cat and this time put retracts in her.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MURUTAKA-ROY...BAAAOSwciVXQEa~
G.F. Reid is offline  
Old 06-08-2016, 06:39 AM
  #1636  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 10,333
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

They really are, the warbirds are priced way out of my range. Now the Regulus and the Star listed above are a lot more reasonable.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 06-08-2016 at 07:40 PM.
FlyerInOKC is offline  
Old 06-08-2016, 05:56 PM
  #1637  
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 1,182
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by G.F. Reid View Post
Bearcat on the 'bay.... Man, these things are getting expensive. I'd like to build another wing for my 'cat and this time put retracts in her.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MURUTAKA-ROY...BAAAOSwciVXQEa~

ive got an original marutaka bearcat "same as royal" in the box that i traced all the parts for. what is your email?
I-fly-any-and-all is offline  
Old 06-08-2016, 07:36 PM
  #1638  
G.F. Reid
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Palmetto, GA
Posts: 844
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

'I-fly', I actually have the Bearcat plans and still have the plane in flying condition. I may build another wing for it and install the retracts if I ever get to flying again. It's a good performer on an ASP .91. As evidence of it's flying quality, every flight I've had with it ended in a dead-stick situation due to poor cooling of the ASP, and yet, it survives...lol. I hung it up after that and stopped flying shortly afterwards.It's finished in Dan Parsons fiberglass cloth and Aerogloss 'Corsair Blue' 'Hot Fuel-Proof' Dope.
By the way, I pm'd you my email addy...and a couple of questions. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Royal_Bearcat640x480.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	2166960  

Last edited by G.F. Reid; 06-08-2016 at 07:43 PM.
G.F. Reid is offline  
Old 06-08-2016, 07:49 PM
  #1639  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 10,333
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I can see why you guys like the Bearcat its a great bird! Wish I could afford to build one!
FlyerInOKC is offline  
Old 06-08-2016, 08:23 PM
  #1640  
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 1,182
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

seeing that reminds me one of the guys i used to fly with said he blew the plans up to.... i cant remember what percent but the wing was around 85 inches and scratch built an enlarged royal bearcat many years ago. from what i heard flew great.
I-fly-any-and-all is offline  
Old 06-09-2016, 05:47 AM
  #1641  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 10,333
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

It does seem like larger Warbirds fly better than the smaller counterparts.
FlyerInOKC is offline  
Old 06-09-2016, 08:33 AM
  #1642  
G.F. Reid
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Palmetto, GA
Posts: 844
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I actually got my B'cat kit from a Hobby Shop back in the '90s in exchange for building a kit for them to display in their store.
G.F. Reid is offline  
Old 06-09-2016, 12:21 PM
  #1643  
rgburrill
 
rgburrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Trumbull, CT
Posts: 2,186
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

For my Royal Midi Corsair I was looking at a Russian made 5 cylinder .30 radial. 5 ea .06 cylinders would have screamed just like the real Corsair. I just couldn't afford them.
rgburrill is offline  
Old 06-10-2016, 09:51 AM
  #1644  
G.F. Reid
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Palmetto, GA
Posts: 844
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I just finished this entire thread over the last couple of days. Question- Is anyone still supplying canopies and glass cowls for any of these kits? Particularly, the Fw-190?
G.F. Reid is offline  
Old 06-11-2016, 12:03 PM
  #1645  
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 1,182
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by rgburrill View Post
For my Royal Midi Corsair I was looking at a Russian made 5 cylinder .30 radial. 5 ea .06 cylinders would have screamed just like the real Corsair. I just couldn't afford them.
Rgburrill here is an engine that is perfect for the corsair the super morton m5! and ive seen it fit inside cowl of a 40 size royal zero without cutting the cowl! originally produced in the 1940's but would barely do 2500-3500 rpm. re-engineered by journeymen mold maker Bruce Satra, now pushes 8,000 rpm. primarily available as casting kits. Sadly Bruce passed away last September at 85, his friend Mike White now has the tooling and several castings ready. Mike1w@sureclip.net
Here is a downloadable 3d CAD model of the engine:
https://grabcad.com/library/morton-m5-exploded-view-1

I'm a tool and die maker in my mid 20's and ive also worked as a mold maker, ive got a back ground in mechanical engineering and design (computer aided design).
I'm currently working on a casting kit for a single cylinder morton M1.
Engines can be run on gas ignition or glow.
www.cncengines.com makes modern ignition components with hall effect sensor. or run with glow plugs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	m5_p1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	2167360   Click image for larger version

Name:	m5_satra.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	2167361   Click image for larger version

Name:	m5_front.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	2167362   Click image for larger version

Name:	weberprecision1011007.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	2167363   Click image for larger version

Name:	m5 cad.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	2167364   Click image for larger version

Name:	m5_exp.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	2167365   Click image for larger version

Name:	stone_m1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	2167366  

Last edited by I-fly-any-and-all; 06-11-2016 at 12:09 PM.
I-fly-any-and-all is offline  
Old 06-11-2016, 12:21 PM
  #1646  
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 1,182
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by G.F. Reid View Post
I just finished this entire thread over the last couple of days. Question- Is anyone still supplying canopies and glass cowls for any of these kits? Particularly, the Fw-190?
I believe canopies are available at http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc....lkit.htm#ROYAL / MARUTAKA
or http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marutaka-P-6...YAAOSwf-VWVQWG
I-fly-any-and-all is offline  
Old 06-11-2016, 05:49 PM
  #1647  
G.F. Reid
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Palmetto, GA
Posts: 844
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Thanks, I checked Fiberglass Specialties earlier and did not see this one. I just happened across the ebay guy last night and sent him a message. No reply as of yet. By the way, thanks for posting the Fw-190 plans. That's the whole reason I'm now searching for the cowl and canopy.
G.F. Reid is offline  
Old 06-11-2016, 07:17 PM
  #1648  
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Litchfield Park, AZ
Posts: 7,544
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by G.F. Reid View Post
Thanks, I checked Fiberglass Specialties earlier and did not see this one. I just happened across the ebay guy last night and sent him a message. No reply as of yet. By the way, thanks for posting the Fw-190 plans. That's the whole reason I'm now searching for the cowl and canopy.

Consider working in a couple of degrees of wash-out Greg. The Royal FW-190 has a reputation for being a bit snappy.
Chad Veich is offline  
Old 06-11-2016, 08:10 PM
  #1649  
G.F. Reid
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Palmetto, GA
Posts: 844
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I'll definitely keep that in mind Chad.
Really, with the number of short kits, full kits and plans I have stocked up over the years, I shouldn't even be talking about a new plane project.

Last edited by G.F. Reid; 06-11-2016 at 08:12 PM.
G.F. Reid is offline  
Old 06-12-2016, 07:02 AM
  #1650  
rgburrill
 
rgburrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Trumbull, CT
Posts: 2,186
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by I-fly-any-and-all View Post
Rgburrill here is an engine that is perfect for the corsair the super morton m5! and ive seen it fit inside cowl of a 40 size royal zero without cutting the cowl! originally produced in the 1940's but would barely do 2500-3500 rpm. re-engineered by journeymen mold maker Bruce Satra, now pushes 8,000 rpm. primarily available as casting kits. Sadly Bruce passed away last September at 85, his friend Mike White now has the tooling and several castings ready. Mike1w@sureclip.net
Here is a downloadable 3d CAD model of the engine:
https://grabcad.com/library/morton-m5-exploded-view-1

I'm a tool and die maker in my mid 20's and ive also worked as a mold maker, ive got a back ground in mechanical engineering and design (computer aided design).
I'm currently working on a casting kit for a single cylinder morton M1.
Engines can be run on gas ignition or glow.
www.cncengines.com makes modern ignition components with hall effect sensor. or run with glow plugs.
That would be a tad large for a Midi with a 43 inch wingspan -
rgburrill is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.