Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Pawnee 80"

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Hangar 9 Pawnee 80"

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 08:11 PM
TooLow
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 Pawnee 80"

OK here is the proof--If any cutting would be needed in the final fit it would be just for the rocker boxes and minimal if that! Not made the final decision yet--just exploring options!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79004.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	900347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yo92011.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	900348  
Old 03-10-2008, 08:26 PM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you did have to cut - at least you'll have matching sides. Then paint your rocker arm covers matching green!
Old 03-10-2008, 08:27 PM
TooLow

I dropped the cowl over the twin--it needs clearances for the rocker boxes and it would just drop on As it sets now the thrust washer needs to come foreward 3/4 of an inch. Needle valves would need to be cut in the top of the cowl Exhaust would route out in flex tubes under cowl. Only issue is the weight!

Name:	Vt57107.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	900362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ja41016.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	900363  
Old 03-10-2008, 08:34 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Go with it!
Old 03-10-2008, 08:38 PM
travdad

Well, I held my breath and took the plunge. I figured the worse that could happen is order a replacement cowling. It fits nicely with minimal cutting for the rocker boxes and a 2 inch wide X 1/2 inch slot in the top of the cowl for the twin carb needles. TooLow, my engine is also an older FA90T, looks just like yours. Although, it's never seen fuel. Now I'm really exited!! I don't intend to wring out a crop duster doing 3D or anything, but I want to have enough power to pull out of a "uh-oh" if I need to. As big as the Pawnee is, (big to be considered a 40), I think the twinn 90 will be perfect. And the sound should be sooo sweet! I'll post some pics next time.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:00 PM
TooLow

ewwww you did WHAT to the top of the cowl? Why didnt you just cut 2 1/4" holes for the needle valves to drop in? At least now Ill be able to tell yours from mine!LOL
My local shop here has a Pawnee looking for a home so if your in so Calif and have the right adoption papers ($$) pm me and Ill give you directions!
Old 03-10-2008, 09:30 PM
travdad

Yea I know. I mis-measured on my first hole so I ended up just connecting them together. Don't look bad though. Food for thought, if you drill individual holes, you'll have to make them a little oversize to access the low speed needle valves. Also flex tubing works perfect for the exhaust and just fits under the flare between the bottom of the cowling and the fuse.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:33 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Make a hatch for them...heck that plane has all sorts of 'things' on it
Old 03-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Akulakat

I picked mine up from the LHS today. I emailed them several weeks ago and they said they would hold one for me when they came in. They did! Thanks LHS!

I've got a Saito .91 and a Saito .72. I'm really leaning towards the .91 for power. Is it overkill?
Old 03-11-2008, 10:15 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Those twin cylinder motors will look great. Personally I would not paint the rocker covers of alter the motor in any way. But that is just my personal perferance. The hatch idea sounds like a good one if the needle valves aren't too long. You should be able to set the low speed with the cowling off.

They are all sold out in this area so i guess i will have to wait until the next batch arrives at Horizon.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:38 PM
travdad

Actually, the needle valve knobs stick up above the cowling. But I have another hair brained idea!! Alot of the full scale planes are equiped with a GPS guidence display out on the hood to help them fly the grid while spraying. They look like a rectangular box with LED's that line them up on each pass. This just might be the perfect cover-up for the needles. Hmm, I'll have to give that one some thought. I agree with you Oldscaleguy, I wouldn't paint the rocker box's. That little bit of chrome showing looks goooood. By the way, my LHS still has one in stock. He ordered two when he ordered mine at the end of January. If you're interested let me know as I'm sure he would be glad to ship it to you for S&H.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:21 PM
TooLow

travdad---how did you get the twin mounted on the box? I came up with a 3/4" spacer block that mounts to the motor first then through the spacer into the motor box. That way the thrust washer distance comes up to 4-3/4" insted of the 4-5/8" in the manual. I figure the offset of the alum backplate of the spinner wil close up the distance. I still havnt cut the cowl for the heads--trying to place stuff to see how much weight Im going to have to "Pack" in the tail!
Old 03-12-2008, 12:26 AM
travdad

I had a 1 inch thick nylon block that I band sawed down to fit the engine base and re-sawed it down to 5/8 in. thick. Then I sawed out the center to leave a 1/2 in. all the way around. I left more in the corners to reinforce the bolt holes and drilled it to match the holes in the engine base. It just did fit the engine box with no room to spare. I barly had enough room to get nuts and washers on the bolts because they were so close to the edge. There was not enough room for blind nuts so I used small washers and lock nuts. The good news is, there is plenty of room inside the fuse and box to reach in and start the nuts with a nut driver. I think I am going to reinforce the box by glueing wooden gussets to the outside of the box and firewall. The only thing that I worry about is the small washers and lock nuts eventually wallowing into the wood. I may change that and grind off one side of the blind nuts so they will fit up close to the top and bottom of the box. Any thoughts?
Old 03-12-2008, 12:50 AM
TooLow

Thats what I have done--ground off a side of the blind nut to fit close to the edge and top of the box. Since its white ultracote you can get creative and open the belly and make a weight box/batterybox and recover it when all adjusted. I have 6 sub-c nicads to pack back in the tail. 4 for the radio and 2 for the onboard plug heat. Just use heavy gauge wire and the distance isnt a prob. Going to control it with a Spektrum radio
Old 03-13-2008, 08:38 AM
Rene3706

I started building mine yesterday and noticed a minor problem. I could not figure out why the rudder would not line up correctly. Finally I figured out that the hole they drilled to insert the tail wheel wire is in the wrong place. Redrilled and problem fixed. Other than that this kit looks to be exceptional.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:15 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

I had a Kyosho Agwagon a few years ago that was highly modified, with spary bar, water tank and pumps, weighed a lot; I needed more power to make it fly; It needed a 90 4 Stroke but I didn't want to butcher the cowl; I went with the RCV 91CD(not the wierd looking one but the traditionally looking engine), and it fit completely in the cowl, just a cut out on the bottom for air exit and exhaust pipe; this H9 Pawnee Cowl appears to be a little bigger than the Kyosho Agwagon, so the RCV would be a perfect fit, and provide the power.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:39 PM
OldScaleGuy

ORIGINAL: travdad

Actually, the needle valve knobs stick up above the cowling. But I have another hair brained idea!! Alot of the full scale planes are equiped with a GPS guidence display out on the hood to help them fly the grid while spraying. They look like a rectangular box with LED's that line them up on each pass. This just might be the perfect cover-up for the needles. Hmm, I'll have to give that one some thought. I agree with you Oldscaleguy, I wouldn't paint the rocker box's. That little bit of chrome showing looks goooood. By the way, my LHS still has one in stock. He ordered two when he ordered mine at the end of January. If you're interested let me know as I'm sure he would be glad to ship it to you for S&H.
Thanks to travdad, i have a kit heading my way from his LHS.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:49 PM
TooLow

Woo-Hoo! another one !! Glad you got one! I took an exacto knife and took off the "restricted" sticker off below the cabin rail. Took a p-touch and printed my call sign (TooLow) and replaced it. Feels like mine now!
Old 03-13-2008, 08:29 PM
Johnny C!

I picked up my Pawnee today along with a handfull
of servo's. I'll let you all know how things progress.
I intend to use an OS .91 4S.

I'm investigating smoke/spray options.

Good Luck!

Johnny C!
Old 03-14-2008, 05:13 AM
OldScaleGuy

Any of you ever set up a spray system before? If so, please tell us how you did it. This will be my first ag plane so really looking forward to getting started on it.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:12 AM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: OldScaleGuy

Any of you ever set up a spray system before? If so, please tell us how you did it. This will be my first ag plane so really looking forward to getting started on it.
You mean like this one?

Name:	Yw68637.jpg
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	903027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw72576.jpg
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	903028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30206.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	903029   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn31598.jpg
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	903030  
Old 03-14-2008, 07:09 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: OldScaleGuy

I tried one on the Kyosho AgWagon; built a Spray Bar, had a 16oz water tank, used 2 smoke pumps and a 6Volt battery; pumped and sprayed plenty of water, the problem was that it was barely visible in the air; it sprayed a fine mist that dispersed immediately from the airstream created from the propwash, I even dyed the water, still had no visibility, gave up on the project; one person was successful, he used 2 Retract Compressed Air tanks to propell Fire Exstinguisher Powder through a spray bar, read this forum, plenty of info on spraying.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1639293/tm.htm
Old 03-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Akulakat

Has anyone flown this thing yet? I'm in a dilemna. I have a Saito .91 4s and a Saito .72 4s. The .72 will fit on their motor mount no modifications needed. I have a motor mount for the .91, but will need to completely redo the box on the front to shorten it in order for the thrust washer to be in the right spot. I know the .72 is in their engine range, but I would hate to be underpowered.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:28 PM
travdad

I've not flown mine yet. Still have to finish the radio installation. I put an FA-90T Saito twin cylinder in mine and so is TooLow as we have been discussing earlier in this thread. I know they call this a 40 class airplane, but at 9 lbs. + and 80 inch wing span, Personnaly I don't think a .91 is far off the mark. Had I not been able to fit the .90 twin in it, I was going to use an .82 saito that I also have. I'm sure a .72 would fly it on the lower threshold of scale, but I prefer a little reserve power to get me out of a tight spot such as a botched crosswind takeoff or landing. It's ironic that due to the intigrated mounting plate on the twinn, the box was actually too short and had to be provided with a 5/8 inch spacer block and the single mount makes it way to long. Anyway, just my thoughts for what they're worth.

Enough power is good, but too much power is recommended!!
Old 03-16-2008, 06:50 AM
OldScaleGuy

My kit arrived yesterday (thanks again travdad) in perfect condition. Even though USPS beat up the box and one corner was wet. This the first arf i have bought in a couple of years and my first ever Hangar 9. I am very impressed with the quality and especially the level they took it to minimize the work of the modeler. Even the fuel tank is assembled, one of my less favorite things to do. Now, the question is what power??? Sure would like to go with the 91 twin but it is not in the budget for now. I do have a Saito 65 but I tend to agree that is too small. I also have an O.S. .61 2 stroke that is a strong motor and kicking around going electric. I own a small side line business selling electric components so that may be a good option to help promote my small company. Time will tell, got some other projects to finish up first. Interested to hear the first of the flying reports. The Piper Pawnee feaver is spreading through out the club i belong too. There are several others that are wanting one! That would be cool, a fleet of PP's at the field all at one time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.