Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Looking for a way to make some scale kick plates

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Looking for a way to make some scale kick plates

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:01 AM
Cub Man
My Feedback: (50)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for a way to make some scale kick plates

Looking for a way to make some scale kick plates. Take a look at the photo. I’m building it scaled and need to know how to make the outside dirty looking but the center shiny.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75244.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	883845  
Old 02-20-2008, 10:06 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Looking for a way to make some scale kick plates

Might take a bit of experimentation but you could: spray the entire panel with a dull silver first and then use silver Rub and Buff for the center (its bright). Put the rub n buff on with a Qtip and just rub it in an oblong circle. Should look ok..
Old 02-20-2008, 02:20 PM
TFF

If it is big enough make it like what you see. Your "dirty" is just the natural aluminum and the shinny part is where the sols of shoes have polished it over time. The effect will also be dependent on how the light hits it too.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:47 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Aluminum AC duct tape. Maybe rub some dirt or something on it first, then polish the inside a with dremil polishing bit. Might even use some thin K&S aluminum plate.
Edwin
Old 02-20-2008, 10:09 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Cut the plates from lithoplate, or aluminum flashing material. Mist some silver paint on it to dull the finish, then take a Q-tip just barely damp with MEK or lacquer thinner, and lightly rub the center to remove the paint.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:43 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put some acidic substance on some aluminum flashing to dull the finish, vinegar will probably work. Then use some steel wool to polish the middle back to a reasonable shine.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Mode One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would use whatever material seems to be easy to work with and light. Paint it the overall dark color you feel represents the weathered aluminum. When that has dried, dry brush the silver color on. Dry brushing is the process of just barly getting any paint on your brush, then brushing off the vast majority of whatever paint is left on the brush on a paper towel. Then you go to the spot you want to look shinny and rub the brush there. Start in the middle and work outwards, it will automatically feather out at the edges. It's a technique that needs to be developed, so try it on scrap first. It's easy to learn and once you understand the process you will find you can use it all over the place and it is very quick. Very simple to do, simple tools, no real mess and easy to clean up or change, if the results didn't turn out the way you wanted. It would have been easier and quicker to do, then it is to explain here how to do it.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:32 PM
abufletcher

As always the techniques suggested so far far into one of two categories: simulate or replicate. Simulate involves using a non-scale process to "fake" the look of something. Replicate involves using something like the original processes to create a near scale effect. Both approaches work well.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:48 PM
jtisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What scale/size is the model you are making?That will help determine which method might be best.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Cub Man
My Feedback: (50)

This is on a ¼ scale. Thanks for all the ideas, I will probably take some thin K&S alum and dirty it up with some paint from my airbrush. Then I will polish the center of them. Wish me luck