Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

se5a flair or dynaflite?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

se5a flair or dynaflite?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 04:46 PM
top242

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default se5a flair or dynaflite?

Hi! this ist the question, what ist the best kit for you?
Old 03-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Mode One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: se5a flair or dynaflite?

Having never build a Flair kit, I can't make a comparason. Are they the same scale? If not, which size do you prefer? Without some modifications, the Dynaflite kit isn't very scale, is the Flair kit? Is scale fidelity imprtant to you? I have no idea how much the flair kit costs, the Dynaflite kit is a real bargan!

I liked the Dynaflite kit, I thought it was done very well! The plans and instruction a very good and the wood was great. Even the die cutting (heaven forbid) was excellent!

There is a very long build thread on this airplane in the Kit Building Forum, look under Dynaflite SE5a. It should only be a couple pages back from the front, as someone posted on it within the last week.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:24 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Something about the Dynaflite kit just looks out of proportion to me. It may be easy to correct, but I don't know what it is. Unfortunately the couple of reviewers I read did not bother to figure it out. It has a 64 inch span. I think the Sterling peanut scale rubber band model looked more realistic.

Flair seems to have pretty good proportions, though bare bones on detail. It's 53 inches.

There is an alternative in between: http://www.funaero.com/id6.html It's 60 inches. It's not very scale either, but the proportions look closer to me than the Dynaflite.

I haven't built any of them, but from the various pics I've seen, all of them are in the semi-scale category.

I would do this one: http://www.cdscaledesigns.com/Englis...a%20Titel.html

A little more expensive, and more work -- you have to supply the larger stock yourself -- but it really looks like an SE-5a. Same size as the Flair.

Jim
Old 03-10-2008, 09:47 PM
abufletcher

I agree , the DynaFlite looks awful to my eyes. The most obvious thing is the overly large gap between the wings. But I'm sure it's unscale is lots of other ways. The Funaero looks much better.

Then of course there's the SE5a from CDScaleDesigns in Germany, which has 100% accurate scale outlines.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:38 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you looked at FunAero? They have a very good looking Se5a.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:06 AM
Mode One

Once again the scale snobs have "piped in"! The gap between the wings is discussed in the Dynaflite SE5a thread in the Kit Building Forum. With just a few modifications this model can be made to look pretty good! Of course, this is: "All from the eye of the beholder". Since Top242 asked about specific kits he is considering, why are we mentioning kits outside his interests? Hard Core Scale is the choice of some and not the choice of others. At times I have built hard core scale and at other times I've build simple fun to fly airplanes. Because there isn't room in your Hard Core Scale lives for anything less, doesn't mean some of us should take the same stand! Just Stop This!
Old 03-11-2008, 07:42 AM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: Mode One
Since Top242 asked about specific kits he is considering, why are we mentioning kits outside his interests?
Because he may be interested in something more scale but may not be aware of other kit options. Also I think it's only fair that we know what we're getting. If we know a kit is a stand-way-off model (like the BUSA Eindecker) and we don't mind, that's fine. I bought the Eindecker 40 kit (as my first "scale" project) under the mistaken belief that it was a reasonable scale verion of the EIII. It's really not and I was unhappy about that and ended up tossing 90% of the kit.

With just a few modifications this model can be made to look pretty good!
I'm sure that's true. My question then would be what advantages does this kit offer that would make it worth modifying? For example, is it a particularly good value for money? Does it fly particularly well (i.e. better than other kits which may not need the same modifications)? Is it easily available? Is it a USA-made kit -- which probably wouldn't matter to Top242 since he's from Spain. In fact, considering shipping to Europe the CDScaleDesign kit might be better value. In short, why modify a kit, if a better kit is avaiable (for a comparable price)?

There's plenty of room in this hobby for both scale and fun-scale kits. Both rank higher that ARFs in my eyes. I've thought about getting the Funaero DIII myself (don't particularly care for the looks of the SE5a). I also think the Flair kits are excellent value for the money and very complete.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:45 AM
Marcol

Simple answer:- Flair.

I've had mine for over 10 years now and it's a great flyer. Plus you can get the wheels, guns ,pilot etc all from Flair.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42598.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	900744  
Old 03-11-2008, 03:25 PM
top242

Thanzs every bodie for your responses! my question was because they offered kit of dynaflite of good price here in Spain The funaero looks great! i like the "look scale"
Old 03-11-2008, 08:08 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Marcol, thanks for posting the pic of your Flair -- that's the nicest rendition of that kit I have ever seen, and the proportions look very good to me. Congratulations on a very nice build.

As for Dynaflite, no hard core scale snob here, but if I'm going to the trouble of something scale-like, why put up with a model that still looks wrong at 500 feet? And who needs to alter an SE-5a to make it fly well or build easily? It is one of the simplest and best proportioned scale subjects that exists. People build good flying rubber powered models of it with accurate proportions, and Dynaflite still can't get it right. That's not being a snob, it's just being honest about it. There's better stuff out there.

Yes, the Funaero looks good -- hope you go for it and tell us all about it!

Jim
Old 03-11-2008, 09:42 PM
Mode One

I have to say that the above post by Buzzard's Bait angured me at first. People who may lack insight, do bother me, when they come across so harshly. However, to each his own! I had a good time building it and modifying it and I'm pleased with the results and that's what counts in my book!

Yes, it is stand off scale. I won't ask for you guys to critique it. I don't think I could handle what you'd have to say.

Name:	Db84119.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	901423  
Old 03-11-2008, 09:58 PM
Prop Nut
My Feedback: (3)

Old 03-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Marcol

Thanks BB
Old 03-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Danh4
My Feedback: (5)

This thread needs a couple pics of the Fun Aero SE5a so here's mine. It's their 60" version, I just finished it a month ago and I'm waiting for Spring to fly it, can't wait!

Dan

Name:	Mj24333.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	901887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63541.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	901888  
Old 03-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Prop Nut

Great looking FunAero Dan, here is a picture of my Dynaflite SE5a..On Floats!

Name:	Yw66723.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	902066  
Old 03-13-2008, 05:35 AM
Mode One

Can someone state the cost of the Flair and/or Funaero kit? The Dynaflite kit is $119.99 through Tower Hobbies, like I said a bargain.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:05 AM
abufletcher

Can someone state the cost of the Flair and/or Funaero kit? The Dynaflite kit is $119.99 through Tower Hobbies, like I said a bargain.
I paid about $140 for my Flair Puppeteer kit a couple of years ago. Unfortunately for those with dollars, the prices are about UK POUND=US DOLLAR. So today that's almost twice the price. [] It's not that bad for those buying with other currencies though. The Flair SE5a is listed as 107.99 Pounds on the following site:

http://www.servoshop.co.uk/index.php...&area=Aircraft
Old 03-13-2008, 11:29 AM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: Prop Nut
Great looking FunAero Dan, here is a picture of my Dynaflite SE5a..On Floats!
You know, I've been thinking of doing the same thing with my Snipe. Don't be surprised, however, if you end up seeing some WB vintage wheels on my Cub!
Old 03-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Prop Nut

I have a confession to make, the picture of my SE5 has been doctored. The floats are actually made of Pink styrofoam insulation board and I didnt have time to put covering on them before that float fly. So I photoshopped the floats silver

So come on Don...I dare you to put pink floats on your Snipe, MUHAHAHA!
Old 03-13-2008, 11:38 AM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: Prop Nut
So come on Don...I dare you to put pink floats on your Snipe, MUHAHAHA!
Well, you know, all the WWI aviation historians insist that the tires back then were either whitish, tan-colored, or pinkish! So who's going to be the first to enter a scale contest with pink wheels on their Dr.I?
Old 03-13-2008, 01:33 PM
Bruno Stachel
My Feedback: (4)

Radical RC in Dayton has the S.E.5A kit for $220.00
http://www.radicalrc.com/shop/?shop=...0&cart=1172696
(Scroll down the page a bit to see it.)
Old 03-13-2008, 04:10 PM
Mode One

So, the Flair kit is almost twice as expensive as the Dynaflite kit! I don't see a whole lot of difference between Dan's Fun Aero SE5a and mine however, Dan's is nicer looking and very well done! How much was the Fun Aero SE5a?
Old 03-13-2008, 04:19 PM
top242

mode one, Have seen the two kits to be able to compare?
Old 03-13-2008, 06:12 PM
abufletcher

One definite difference is that the Dynaflite version has a 64" wingspan vs. 51" on the Flair SE5a. The Dynaflite website suggests using at least a 91FS while the Flair would be fine with a 50-class FS. Honestly, other that the unscale spacing between the wings, the Dynaflite doesn't look siginificantly different from the Flair kit.

Mode One, what is involved in shortening the struts? Is it a simple matter of cutting them down or does it involve a bit more than that?
Old 03-13-2008, 06:27 PM
top242

"Mode One, what is involved in shortening the struts? Is it a simple matter of cutting them down or does it involve a bit more than that? "

interesant question abufletcher, this point agree more realism to the model.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.