Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

**CG of Byron Beechcraft Staggerwing**

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

**CG of Byron Beechcraft Staggerwing**

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 02:36 PM
Dobbis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **CG of Byron Beechcraft Staggerwing**

I have a built model of the Byron Beechcraft Staggerwing, but have no documentation of the center of gravity location, nor recommended control surface movements ( lower wing ailerons acts as flaps as well ? )

Is there anybody out there who can help me out with this information ??

regards

Dobbis
Old 04-28-2003, 04:48 PM
beepee

Dobbis,

Can't speak for the Byron Kit, but the early (B and C Models) Staggerwing had flaps on the top wing/ailerons on the bottom. The later models were reversed, reportedly for better handling on approach and landing.

I will watch and see if you don't get a response. There is one hanging at my LHS. I will ask them if they have the manual.

Good luck!

Bedford
Old 04-28-2003, 06:03 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Hi,
I think the c/g was 1/2" in front of the leading edge of the top wing, but check with Iron Bay, they bought out Byron and have the info. I had one for years with a G-38, flew great. Since it's modeled on the G-17S, the last variant built (20 in all), the ailerons are on the top wing, flaps on the bottom. Some guys converted the flaps to ailerons and were flying them as aerobatic models with G-62's: I think it looked stupid to snap roll a Staggerwing, but oh well...
If you're going to do spins with it, be careful not to let it go more than 2 turns, it will really winds up after that, requiring lots of altitude to get out, plus putting a real stress on the airframe.
Good Luck,
Jon
Old 04-28-2003, 06:55 PM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

Default Byron Staggerwing

Dobbis,

From the Byron Beechcraft Staggerwing G-17S Owner's Manual:

Center Of Gravity - 1/2 inch back from leading edge of top wing panel

Elevator Travel - 3/4 inch up and 3/4 inch down;

Aileron Travel - 3/4 inch up and 3/4 inch down;

Rudder Travel - 1 1/2 inch both ways;

Engine Thrust - 0 degrees down thrust; 2 degrees right thrust;

Weight - 18--20 pounds.

Hope this helps!

Bill
Old 07-16-2004, 08:42 PM
Dobbis

Default Byron Staggerwing - any experience ?

I got this staggerwing as a birthday gift to fit to my OS sirius 5 cylinder radial engine, that I happened to become owner to in a trade deal.
However, that engine is a heavy piece, about 6 Lbs +. Also, since a radial engine is rather short I had to move it 2 inches forward of firewall to clear propeller.

Now, with this heavy engine I have to put in 1-2 Lbs lead weight in the tail ( also batteries are fitted as far back as I can reach ) to obtain proper CG.

Now, is there anyone who has flown this model that can give me a clue about what to expect from this ? I assume that weight will end up at least 4 Lbs over recommended ( 24 Lbs ), with engine responsible for half the overweight, rest for counter balance weights and onboard glow system. Engine delivers about 4 Bhp

How sensitive is the model with regards to CG ? instruction says 1/2 inch behind top wing. would 1/4 of an inch be OK ? big difference in total weight !

Any other suggestions how to minimize this problem ?

At what maximum weight would this bird fly reasonable with a 4 Bhp engine ?

Maybe I should chose another engine...but then a again I would be stuck with a masterpiece engine in a box.......

A bit worried.......

Dobbis
Old 10-22-2018, 02:09 PM
rackem

I am about to do the same thing. Was given both a Saito 5 cylinder radial AND a Byron Staggerwing kit with retracts. It's EXCELLENT to know good people!!!
The kit is complete except for the assembly manual. If anybody has one a copy will do. It IS going to get built even if the drawings are all I have. But a manual would help.
[email protected]
Old 11-12-2018, 06:24 AM
gary9648
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have built and flown a number of the Byron Staggerwing Beech’s, and in my opinion the added weight won’t hurt it much. It may have a slightly higher stall speed due to higher wing loading. Also I would beef up the main landing gear struts to handle the added weight. The plane wants to float in ground effect when landing so the added weight should help it land easier. The plane flies very well but watch doing high G maneuvers that could damage the horizontal tail. Some installed flying wires on the tail group to help. The Cloud Dancers who used to put on flying displays featuring Byron aircraft did that due to some of the maneuvers they did with it and they over powered it with a 50cc engine and it would stay up with the ducted fan jets of that era. I really injoyed mine. After programming my transmitter it would do fantastic knife edge flight down the runway. The real Staggerwing was really strong and was capable of doing mild aerobatics, even though it was classified as a utility aircraft. I have flown a G model at over 200 mph and can attest to there speed and grace. The aircraft that Byron used as their prototype was based at Mansfield, Ohio close to where I live and was owned by Jim Gorman one of the founding fathers of the E.A.A. And the Staggerwing Beech Museum. Jim allowed me access to his plane for photographs for documentation and then was able to have my model photographed with the full scale aircraft when finished. We then took the Stagg for a flight where he wound her up past 220 mph! He also let me fly it for a while and can attest to the great balance Beech designed into this aircraft. It(Staggereing Beech) was extremely light on the controls for the size and weight of the aircraft. It was very agile as well.

Last edited by gary9648; 11-12-2018 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Typo error
Old 11-14-2018, 05:34 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rule of thumb for bi-plane CG. Looking from the side, draw or imagine two vertical lines. One at the most forward LE and the other at the most rearward TE. This distance is your effective wing cord. Use that distance to calculate the CG. Typically around 30% of the distance back from the forward most LE. Fine tune from there.