Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

What are these instruments?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

What are these instruments?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 08:37 PM
allanflowers

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Default What are these instruments?

These pix are of the Royal Australian Air Force's Sopwith Pup replica, which I am modeling. It is not a typical Pup instrument panel, as you can see.
I am trying to duplicate this panel but am having difficulty determining what the various instruments are.
Any help would be appreciated, especially if you happened to have a detailed idea or picture to refer to on any of the dials. I will fake it if I have too but it would be nice to do it right.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56632.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	922653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96104.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	922654  
Old 04-05-2008, 09:03 PM
gary9648
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What are these instruments?

Looks like typical flight instruments of the day. Small photo hard to tell. The bananna shaped tube with the ball is the turn back cordinator, the middle gage at the bottom row is the altemeter, the top gage on the left looks like an amp or volt meter. you then have to have an airspeed meter. The small gages on right are probably engine gages, i.e. temp. oil pressure. The one gage on the bottom left, not sure.
Gary
Old 04-05-2008, 09:25 PM
abufletcher

Allan, I though this enlargement might help people identify some of the dials. Even though you can't make out the numbers, the layouts seem pretty distinctive.

Name:	Db84807.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	922701  
Old 04-05-2008, 09:28 PM
V2PLUS10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Allan,

Upper left is either an Exhaust Gas Temp (EGT) or cylinder head temp. Compass of course (!) in the center. Bottom row, left to right, RPM, Airspeed, Altimeter and engine oil press/ temp gauges and probably head temp if the other is an EGT. One of the gauges in the cluster gauge appears to have black tape over it... the Red knob on the right is probably a primer and the switch above probably magnetos....The tube with the ball and fluid in it is the turn coordinator..no bank info though.

This has a radial instead of a rotary, is that right?

Randy
Old 04-05-2008, 09:39 PM
V2PLUS10

Hi Allan,

I found a better picture....upper left is a cylinder head temp gauge.

http://www.pbase.com/melbob/image/48459120

Now you can make the little brass placards too!! VNE 108 KtS !!!

Randy
Old 04-06-2008, 10:40 AM
allanflowers

Gentlemen THANKS. What a response!
Randy, that photo solves all my problems (except actually building the thing). Wow!

Maybe I will come up with a list of other burning questions for Randy... like - is there life after death? - would Marylou go to the prom if I ask her? - any pictures of a Siemens Schuckert D.III instrument panel?
Actually it's a little late for Marylou.
Again, thanks.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:01 AM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: allanflowers
any pictures of a Siemens Schuckert D.III instrument panel?
The answer is there wasn't one. The instruments were scattered around the cockpit. There's an issue of Flying Scale Models (May 06) with an article on a stunning little FF scale version, a history of type with quite a few photos, two pages of color profiles, and a three-view showing the DIII and DIV.

So what's the ETA on the Siemens-Schuckert? And will you have it in the air before I get the CI into the sky?

Name:	Jh16327.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	923186  
Old 04-06-2008, 12:46 PM
allanflowers

Don, thanks for the photos. Chris also sent me scans of the Profile Publication with those in it. I have heard those are the only two photos available. However, maybe Randy will find some more??
Since I am working on the Pup and have a lot yet to do, it will be awhile before I get going full steam on the D.III. However, in the evening when I can't work in my unheated garage shop anyway, I have been doing some preliminary work - including a lot of sketching on build details.
I want to complete the Pup before committing to anything so I am more familiar with its construction style. The SS D.III will be an interesting project because the airplane is so different.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:34 PM
V2PLUS10

How did we ever get by before Google and RCU????

Randy
Old 04-06-2008, 07:16 PM
camdyson

Allan,

If you need any more help, let me know. I just got off the phone from one of the techs at the museum, and he is happy to take the required photos and email them to you.

Cheers,

Cam
Old 04-06-2008, 09:41 PM
allanflowers

What a great offer.
I would love a STRAIGHT ON photo of the instrument panel so I can make the instrument faces, with flash or good lighting so there are no shadows on them. Otherwise I will have to "undistort" (in Photoshop) the image that Randy put me on to, and work with the contrast, etc. to make them printable. In a few cases, with what I have so far, I would have to recreate the instrument face (probably in Adobe Illustrator) - a time consuming process.
In return, I will promise to make some nice pix of my completed model and send it to them, if they want to display them next to the real thing (crazy nut in California makes RC version of our RAAF Pup replica).
Thanks!
I have already started to Photoshop the overall layout, reduce it to the size and start to determine if I have Forstner bits to drill the main holes.

Name:	Hf98799.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	923760  
Old 04-06-2008, 10:27 PM
camdyson

No sweat - I'll see what we can do for you.

Cam
Old 04-07-2008, 04:51 AM
abufletcher

BTW, I found that using an image of actual wood worked well as the background for my dash. This was selectively darked in spots (with the burn tool) to create an uneven/worn look. If you're going the printing photo route that's definitely better than an illlustrator drawing for the grain.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:07 AM
allanflowers

I would use Illustrator for the dials but, if I do the photo grain thing, Photoshop would be better.
However, I hope to use actual wood, if the Forstner bit sizes work out. It will still be a simplified IP but, at 1/6th scale, good enough for now.