Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Lockheed Sirius...lookin for Scale doc.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Lockheed Sirius...lookin for Scale doc.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 04:18 PM
rogers259

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lockheed Sirius...lookin for Scale doc.

Nigel,

Al and I are working on a 1/4 scale version of an Altair, Al mainly , I canned the Sirius idea as I couldnt find a paint scheme that I liked. Hostetler's sirius is a 20% plane so yes your right that Saito would not fit his plane. I souldnt have problems fitting it behind the cowl of a 1/4 scale Altair.
Old 06-02-2003, 04:41 PM
monocoupe
My Feedback: (40)

Matt,
Oh, yes at 1/4 scale it's a whole different deal! My Vega cowl is about 13" dia. at the front and about 12" wide at the rear.
Without consulting the drawings, I'm guessing it's the same cowl used on the Altair...or if not, at least it would be very close in dia.
I'm guessing that the 70cc Minarelli is going to be enough power....I certainly hope so!

Nigel
Old 06-03-2003, 12:17 AM
Gee Bee D

Matt & Nigel,

I've ordered tubing for a test gear and with some luck I can make it work. I have to get a smaller collet, .040 dia. electrode, for my Tig welder but that isn't a big deal at all, I've needed one for a while just haven't gotten one.

I need to dig out the 2 degree wing spar drawings and I'll start drawing them up. Hope to get time tonight to run the ribs in Wing Master. This is a neat program as I've even done the ribs for the 1:1 Air Express with it, the root chord is 102"...

Matt I'm going to do everything that I can to hold the weight to under 45 pounds. The gear is what has me concerned.

Nigel, tell me about the construction of you wing spars. Is your wing a one or multi piece affair. When do you think you might be flying the Vega??? I really know better than to ask that question and I HATE people that ask it of me... but I had to, I hope you understand. The Monosport looks VERY NICE, how does she fly?

Matt, what will work for you, a single piece wing would be easier all the way around until you get to the transportation question, but I'm thinking that this machine will require a trailer no matter what. Single piece wing, easier to design, easier to build, lighter,
harder to handle...would also look VERY impressive pulling that big thing out of the trailer...

Anyone up for a 1/3 scale Air Express??? and a converted school bus to haul it around...

Al
Old 06-03-2003, 04:04 AM
rogers259

Al,

Lets do this as a single piece wing, I know weight is gonna be an issue and I really like doing single piece wings. The Multi-piece wings scare me. I watched a guy fold his extra 33% in half (I'm sure the 3-D maneuvers didnt help) a few weekends ago due to sectional wing failure. I'm getting really excited about this cant wait to start work. I appreciate all the time your putting in Al cant thank you enough!!!

Nigel,
I believe that the Altair had wings and tail sections that were similar to the Orion. But it seems to me that much of the stuff from that time period was built upon and then added to the next model. Where did you come up with the 13" diameter cowl? did you make it yourself?

Matt
Old 06-03-2003, 06:56 AM
monocoupe

Al,

The Vega wing is built in two pieces.
The main spars are 1/2" sq Sitka Spruce for the first 18" or so, then taper to 1/2" x 1/4". The inboard ends are "boxed" with 1/8" ply, then 3/32" hard balsa shear webs front and back from there out.
The wing joiner is a full depth 1/2" fir "blade" that fits into the main spar box.
The rear spars are 3/8" sq basswood that taper to 3/8"x 3/16" with 3/32" balsa shear webs.
A 7/8"dia aluminum tube is used as a joiner just aft of the rear spar.
Ribs are 1/8" balsa with lightening holes, except for the first two root ribs which are lightened 1/8" birch ply.
The whole thing is sheeted with 1/8" balsa.
The completed wing prior to glassing & paint weighs 8lbs.

I used "Profili" to plot the ribs.

When will it fly? Not this year! Yup, I hate that Question too! ( and I understand) I would expect by next season.....I hope!

As for the Monosport, thanks for the kind words. It flies very well but ground handling is typically Monocoupe....and I have the scraped wing tips to prove it too!

Matt,

Yes, from the drawings I have, you can see how the same components were used on the various models, some with changes and others unchanged. For example, my Vega uses a "B" tail, where the Winnie May used a "C" tail.

My cowl is fiberglass. I made an aluminum mould for the main portion of the cowl, and I'm in the process of making a fiberglass mould for the front of the cowl right now. Without looking at the drawings, I believe the cowls are the same for the Vega and the Altair...if so, I guess I could supply the cowls.

Cheers, Nigel
Old 03-25-2008, 01:19 PM
monocoupe

Default RE: Lockheed Sirius...lookin for Scale doc.

Hey Al & Matt,

Have you guys done anymore on the big Lockheed plans?

Cheers, Nigel
Old 02-22-2011, 06:44 PM
jp928
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Lockheed Sirius...lookin for Scale doc.

FWIW, there are quite a few pics of other colour schemes on Sirius. There is a white one on
http://www.dmairfield.org/airplanes/NC117W/index.html
which I like a lot.
There is also the colour scheme of Smithy's Lady Southern Cross (Altair, but cart is the only difference) at http://www.adastron.com/lockheed/altair/altair2.htm (side views only).
Beautiful colour 3 views of the stages Lady went through here:- http://www.adastron.com/lockheed/altair/drawings-io.htm

hth somebody.
jp
Old 10-18-2019, 01:06 AM
marcdeklerk

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I like this one... https://dmairfield.com/airplanes/NC117W/index.html
Old 11-04-2019, 08:49 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's another color scheme. I really like the "Richmond, Virginia" plane, too