Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

1/3 Scale Nieuport 11

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

1/3 Scale Nieuport 11

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 07:20 PM
Nieuport nut
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PM'd you, Art.

Martin
Old 05-22-2014, 04:24 AM
mcjustis

I've been working on the N11 for a few days and here's a pic of the framed up fuselage. I have the engine mounted. I'm running a Toni Clarke reduction off a G38 swinging a Menz 32-18 prop. This plane is pretty straight forward to build so far. I did opt for a straight walled fuse as per the Nieto (sp?) drawings. It just made the building a bit easier. May not win any scale contests, but that's not what this plane is for. Just want a nice weekend flyer and a good dawn patrol plane as well. The quick build aspect is just the icing on the cake. Thanks Art.

Martin

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	n-11.JPG
Views:	736
Size:	603.3 KB
ID:	1997350  
Old 05-22-2014, 07:23 AM
vogel605

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking great Martin, keep her going...
Old 05-22-2014, 10:53 AM
R/C Art
My Feedback: (38)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks really good, Martin. If you use the Nieto drawings for your 3 views you won't suffer any down grades as long as your model matches the drawings.

I can only imagine how it will fly with that great big ole' prop on the front - its gonna be SWEET!
Old 05-22-2014, 11:02 AM
Horsepoweraviation
My Feedback: (50)

Also Martin, if you want to "compliment the designer" you only put your insignia on one side! LOL!

Bada-bing! Tishhhhh!..........don't forget to tip your waitress on the way out!

HPA
Old 11-16-2014, 03:26 PM
mcjustis

Hey HPA, Art,
I just got back from Barry's and here's the N11 so far. Oh and Paul, it is on both sides. Happy Hooligan Italian N-11. May not get it in the air this year, the weather just turned pretty bad.
Martin

Name:	happyhooligan1.JPG
Views:	633
Size:	517.4 KB
ID:	2047958   Click image for larger version

Name:	happyhooligan2.JPG
Views:	695
Size:	597.9 KB
ID:	2047959  
Old 11-16-2014, 07:56 PM
R/C Art

Martin

I like your choice of color scheme. She's looking pretty good.

Hey - guess what !?

I have my N-11 well on the way to recovery......the cowl is straightened (almost good as new) .......the Lewis gun is repaired........all the wings are repaired, covered and stitched.............the rudder is repaired, covering patched and painted........the rear cabane has been replaced......the front struts are bolted up (although they will be replaced with new ones) and the left side wings have been installed and the rigging seems to be secure. Sill to come is repairing the landing gear and mounting blocks........replacing the bottom hatches and the cowl mount ring and repair/replace the firewall. Then trouble shoot the engine and try to find and repair the dummy engine.

I won't be able to fly mine this year either - I should have done all this last year

Cheers,
Art
Old 05-22-2015, 09:25 PM
mcjustis

Art,
Long time with no posts. Here and your 1/2 scale.
Going to maiden my 1/3 scale n11. Not all the way done (are they ever), but quite fly able. Should be fun.
I looked at my first posts on this thread, they were in May of 2014. One year for this build.
Anyway, looking forward to the first flight.
Cheers,
Martin
Old 05-25-2015, 05:32 AM
R/C Art

Yea, I know.......got to correct that in the near future.

Glad to hear you are ready to maiden ......... looking forward to seeing it in person and and see it flying at the ODP!
Old 05-27-2015, 12:09 PM
mcjustis

I did the maiden last Saturday. Beautiful day. The only problem I had was the same one Barry had in that it kept wanting to climb. I'll try the stick under the leading edge of the horiz. stab. That should do the trick. Engine/ reduction/ scale prop all worked well.
Martin
Old 05-27-2015, 03:01 PM
R/C Art

Congrats Martin!

Its always nice to hear about a successful maiden flight. Pictures, man - we need pictures!

Cheers,
Art
Old 05-28-2015, 09:20 AM
mcjustis

Art,
I have a video, unfortunately I was the only one at the field on Saturday so I just stuck my phone in the fence and hoped for the best. I should've taken one of my kids for the maiden video, but they don't usually like to sit there for very long. Oh well. Here's a couple of pics.

Martin

Name:	nieuport.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	2099197   Click image for larger version

Name:	nieuport2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	2099198   Click image for larger version

Name:	nieuport3.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2099199  
Old 05-28-2015, 11:26 AM
R/C Art

Really nice looking model, Martin.

Putting some positive incidence into the stab will help for sure. But with all that power you have up front (G38 w/ prop drive and that very large prop), a better fix is to bring both wings much closer to zero degrees incidence and then add the positive in the stab to fine tune it. A more nose heavy model also helped mitigate this problem. I think I ended up with a balance point farther forward than what is shown on the plans, although it was very flyable at the CG location.shown on the plans.

On the proto- type and a direct drive 39cc Kioritz, all the positive wing incidence was just about right. But as the power went up - a G62 and then a 74cc twin (Zenoah) so did the tendency to climb as power was added. I put in a noticeable amount of down thrust and that tamed most of the climb with power problem. Maybe when I rehab my N-11 and repair all the crash damage I will try to zero out most of the positive wing incidence.

I will most certainly use all this data to set up my half scale N-ll this summer.

Cheers,
Art

Last edited by R/C Art; 05-28-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:41 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You should have taped your camera to your forehead ! or a hat.... hahahah

I am waiting for some footage, can't wait to see it in the air. If I was there we would be watching on board footage as well

What did you think of starting the reduction? I have found mine starts much better with the kill switch in the RUN position ! My shoulder still hurts ! Took me a while to recall the throttle needs to be at about 3/4 full as well. Next time I hope to start it without needing shoulder therapy
Old 05-28-2015, 06:36 PM
mcjustis

Once I figurd out NOT to bring it up on compression before the flip it was a piece of cake. I start against the back side of the compression and go on through with the flip. Once it's primed I'd say maybe five or six flips and it's running. Mine starts at idle without a problem. It seemed to have plenty of power and I haven't leaned any from the first run yet.

I should've taken the go pro and used a helmet cam, but all I had was the phone and a fence. If I can figure out how to post a movie on here I'll post what I have.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:00 PM
foodstick

Do you have the magneto engine or electronic? I was actually told the magneto was better ... don't recall why.. But I have never got mine to start on a low throttle setting. of course even at half throttle its about 1400 RPM...

My engine came off this plane ! I am NOT JOKING ! hahahahahahah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV0ZcVbM82k
Old 05-29-2015, 03:39 AM
mcjustis

Mine is the magneto version. That engine survived quite the impact. Sounded good though.
Martin
Old 05-29-2015, 04:21 AM
foodstick

Yeah, my poor friend..... he worked hard on that plane... He did sell me an engine real reasonable after that though....
Old 05-29-2015, 04:34 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by mcjustis
Art,
I have a video, unfortunately I was the only one at the field on Saturday so I just stuck my phone in the fence and hoped for the best. I should've taken one of my kids for the maiden video, but they don't usually like to sit there for very long. Oh well. Here's a couple of pics.

Martin
Congratulations Martin, BTW where is that field you are flying on??
Old 05-29-2015, 05:50 PM
mcjustis

Steve,
That's our local club field in Columbus Indiana. About 5 minutes east of Columbus. Typical Saturday morning, not a soul there. I was there from 9 am until 2:30 and didn't see anyone. Most of the guys are at home polishing their ARF's. Don't want to fly them and chance scratching them you know.

We fly on the old abandoned land fill in Petersville. About 60 or so acres of flat land. Our runway is 75' x 500'. We are getting ready to install another runway that'll be a fabric one for the smaller electrics. Should be nice.

Don't forget to come down to the Fireman's Cheerfund flyin. Great charity that helps get some Christmas presents to local children who would otherwise go without.
I'm the CD this year.
Martin
Old 05-29-2015, 06:08 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Martin,
Funny stuff, our club is the same. We have the most inactive club in the state.

I've flown at your field several times but guess it's been a while, cause I sure didn't remember it looking like that. And have been to Your Fireman Cheerfund Flyin. Always a good time. I will try and be there this year.

I grew up in Newbern, another 2 miles East of the land fill. In fact, I have a personal connection with that landfill. It is resting place to about 30 of my old controline models. Dad disposed of them there many years ago, after I had moved out.

Good looking Nieuport, glad it flies great.

steve
Old 05-29-2015, 08:42 PM
mcjustis

Steve,

Occasionally something comes up from the landfill, usually a old shoe or just plain ole trash. I'll keep a look out for old planes. Ha

Martin
Old 06-22-2015, 04:42 PM
R/C Art

Hey Martin
This past weekend I did the final rigging on my repaired N-11. That means all the repair work has been accomplished.......need to re-install the engine and tank, hook up the throttle, kill switch and battery - check out all the control hook ups and set up the radio - I sold the radio which had the N-11 program, so I will need to totally redo all the set ups.
Maybe we can get a flight of N-11s going at the ODP - yours, mine and Barry's.
Cheers,
Art
Old 06-23-2015, 04:29 AM
Horsepoweraviation
My Feedback: (50)

Martin,
Your engine run videos were pretty impressive! The throttle response was excellent!
Boy if Art can pull his "turtleass" in high gear and we have 3 Nieuport is the air!
You all know you are coming to "Fokker field"........right? LOL!

Good luck! your going to need it!

HPA
Old 06-27-2015, 05:34 AM
Eindecker_pilot

Nice plane Martin, next time you're heading to the field, give me a call. I live only 2 minutes from our field! (& yes I should be out there more often, so give me the excuse please!)
-Greg

Originally Posted by mcjustis
Art,

Martin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.