Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

robart or century jet retracts which are better?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

robart or century jet retracts which are better?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 09:09 PM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default robart or century jet retracts which are better?

I would like to know one people experince if robart or century jet makes a better retract?
please give me any input you may have.
Thanks
Old 06-08-2008, 09:20 PM
pahtreek
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: robart or century jet retracts which are better?

I think Robart makes a superior product. The only exception is the .60 model rotating retracts for the P-40 or Corsair or Hellcat. I went thru 3 sets of rotating robart retracts, and the century jet's seemed to hold up better. The wierd thing is, when you get into the larger warbirds (80"-110" wingspan), like a Ziroli plane, the Robarts are 10x the gear of the Century Jet.

I had Century Jet custom make some gear for my Ziroli P-40, and they got sent back 3 times with problems, and I only had 10 landings, and I greased every one in. It has been a few years since I bought them ,but the two weak parts are the air cylinders are just a pressed fit for the o ring which easily fails, and the side walls for the gear mounts is way too soft aluminum. They also use crappy weak aluminum rivets to hold the sissors on the oleo strut together (replace them
with 4-40 bolts if you buy them).
Just my two cents worth.
www.putfile.com/pahtreek
Old 06-08-2008, 09:41 PM
warks62
My Feedback: (140)

I agree with Pahtreek that has been my experiance also.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:13 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

I have 2 sets of CJ for 60 size warbirds....both are loose and sloopy...one set has not even flown yet! Robarts have proven to be much better, but there are even better ones out there if you are willing to pay the $$ for them..

Old 06-09-2008, 04:36 AM
pahtreek

Wayne,
Are your .60 size robarts the rotating ones, or just a straight retract like on a P-51 or P-47? I have only had this experience with the rotating ones like on a P-40 or Corsair.

Yea, I think everyone out there agrees that Sierra Precision (just google it) makes the strongest, best designed gear available. Just have to fork up the $$$$.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

one set is for the top flite p-51, the other for the top flite Spitfire..both straight non rotating retracts....

Ditton on Sierra Precision!
Old 06-09-2008, 04:44 PM
[email protected]

thanks im buy a set of retracts for the top flight 1:7 scale 62in winspan. so are the robarts or century jets more robust because i would like a reliable long lasting set of retracts.

thanks
Old 06-09-2008, 06:24 PM
pahtreek

What plane are you buying them for? P-51, P-40 etc...
Old 06-09-2008, 09:32 PM
[email protected]

top flight 1:7 scale p-51 mustang
Old 06-09-2008, 10:57 PM
warks62
My Feedback: (140)

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

top flight 1:7 scale p-51 mustang
Corey my favorite is the Robart 550RS which are 90 degree or the 551RS which are 85 degree. The reason is they are strong, don't have a lot of play in them, and most important with any retract is you can install the strut directly in the retract. No wires to grind flat spots in or bend. Toe is set very easy just slide the strut into the retract set your toe and tighten the pinch bolt. This is the best setup for the money in my opinion. Or another option is the spring down version but same idea I put a link to both. The spring down only accept 3/8" struts but the 550 will accept a 3/8" or 7/16" strut now you just have to choose what you need. But I believe your plane takes a 90 degree retract I know the kit built one did.

http://www.robart.com/retracts/8-18lb550.aspx
http://www.robart.com/retracts/6-12lb510.aspx
Old 06-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

With the exception already mentioned above, Robarts are superior in every way to the Century Jet retracts. That includes the air valves and all the other support equipment.

Sierra is Top Dog when it comes to retracts!
Old 06-16-2008, 06:27 PM
flynavy

I just peeked in on this thread to see what was being said. I myself have played around with all types of lg. both manufactured and home grown types. From my own experience, I,ll go where you get what you pay for. Robarts hqave never I repeat NEVER failed to do their job even with my trying to fix the things that aren't broke!!! Ihave seen a site however that has got my attention and thought I,d pass it on It's called euro kit. This is an outfit in italy that has a distribution center in chicago they make all types of struts wheels and landing gear. The volume and variety looks pretty good and the retracts are offered in mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic versions. They also have a line of electric ,and pneumatic/hydraulic brakes. I just thought I'd pass it along and if anyone has had experience with them please pass it on. happy landings!!
Old 04-24-2011, 03:22 PM
Flakpak

I have two TopFlite Sea Furies, both with Century Jet retracts. The worst feature of these is the insert which connects the top ofeach leg to the retract unit. This is replaceable (after a good deal of time and effort by by a non-metalworker such as myself) if damaged, and is no doubt intended to be a weak link, but in my view it is too weak. So far I have had less than a dozen flights and have fitted three replacement inserts. Now I need a fourth, after a swing on take-off caused enough sideways thrust to bend yet another.

Does anyone know of a UK supplier of these inserts ? At $7 or $10 (depending on the type) from Century Jet, plus shipping, tax and VAT, they would deter me from recommending these retract units to anyone not having the use of a machine shop.

PS - I've just discovered that Fighteraces have them available on their website at £8.40 per pair +P&P.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:54 PM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Flakpac-
Make sure you are using JB Weld where the strut attaches at the top as required. I have been flying these retracts for years and have bent 2 struts but never where they are JB Welded together. Sounds like we both need to work on our landings. I have not seen, owned or worked on any retracts that do not require constant care and adjustment. They all get loose and they all fail when abused. The name brands all work well when used properly and cared for properly. I always try to keep in mind that retracts are the most abused system in our planes. I am always amazed at how much abuse they take without failing. We all need to routinely remove our retracts and examine, adjust/repair these units.