Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Fabric Covering's

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Fabric Covering's

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 10:58 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Fabric Covering's

I am getting ready to cover my Decathalon and I am not sure what covering to use. I am asking for the pro's and cons of any of the fabric coverings as I have not used any of them. Thanks in advance, dave
Old 06-14-2008, 12:41 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Fabric Covering's

David, there's three that I have used. Super Coverite is nice, applies well, but I thought it felt sort of "rubbery" and it seemed to sag a bit in the sun. Solartex is my favorite prefinished material, I can't say anything bad about it. Your iron should be on the warmer side when sticking it down and forming it arounde curves, but it looks great, is durable, and stays tight once shrunk, and I've not had any problems with seams coming loose. Some say that it picks up dirt easily. Since the weave is not fully "filled", it is a bit more difficult to clean than the Super Coverite, which is a tad smoother. If desired, you can clearcoat Solartex to diminish this tendency. Solartex also takes paint very well, latex works great over the fabric without priming first (saves some weight), but of course, you need to protect the latex from glow fuel, and to a lesser extent, gasoline. The Solartex colors themselves are fuelproof.

Now, to my favorite, Koverall. Obviously it's more work, but on a plane you plan to scale out and spend time on, it's worth all the work. I'm sure you know about the steps in surface prep, and the techniques used in sticking it to the framework (traditional doping, or use of "Stix-It" ) and then the tightening of the fabric, filling the weave, and finishing/painting. In essence, a Koverall finish is the same method used on full-scale fabric covered aircraft. It will NEVER wrinkle or sag after it's finished, patches easily if torn, but is pretty strong and durable stuff. When doped and painted, it really isn't any heavier than Solartex (well, depends on what primer, what paint, how many coats).

Coincidentally, the only plane I've had with Coverite was a Decathlon. Unfortunately, I crashed it early in its career, when I rebuild it, it will get Koverall.
1st pic, front of Super-D (Coverite), 2nd is my GP DR-1 (Solartex and latex paint), 3rd is my WACO UMF ARF (recovered with Koverall and Krylon paint)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47601.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	970344   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg13933.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	970345   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91797.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	970346  
Old 06-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Campy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can highly recommend Solartex. Even with a clear coat it is lighter than Coverite.

I strongly suggest a clearcoat after all you decals, markings, etc are on the plane. The clear coat seals everything. Solartex does not "REQUIRE" a clear coat, however, without a clearcoat be prepared to use a fingernail brush along with soap and water to get the dirt/grime out of the weave - ESPECIALLY on light colors.

I have used yellow Solartex without a clear coat and that is what I had to do to get out the dirt/grime and residue from my 4 stroke.

It doesn't need to be a heavy clear coat to seal everything.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:42 PM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

I second Campy. Solartex is the best and easiest to use of all the fabric coverings. Period.

papermache
Old 06-15-2008, 06:29 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

My vote is also for Solartex. If you want to paint use the natural color material.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:10 PM
vonJaerschky
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with Khodges and vote for Koverall. Sure it takes a bit more time than a prefinished fabric, but it looks sooo good, and it will never wrinkle or sag. An added benefit is that should you ever need to make repairs, patches can be made pretty much invisible.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:05 AM
cocobear
My Feedback: (2)

Koveral is absolutley my favorite. Ten years later it is just as tight and good looking

DJ
Old 06-16-2008, 12:30 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A couple of responses have mentioned Clear Coat. Could you tell us the product you use, and how it fares with respect to yellowing and age cracks?

I'd like to find a clearcoat that doesn't yellow and remains pliable.

Thanks,
Dave Olson
Old 06-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Props4ever

Hey Guys,

What material would you suggest in fabric i should cover my 5 rudders in, these are for my Super Constellation model i am currently building. These has to be on very light side yet covered in fabric!

Oh forgot to mention, it would be great if pre-painted in white color material is selected.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91865.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	971780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63685.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	971781  
Old 06-16-2008, 10:27 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: Props4ever

Hey Guys,

What material would you suggest in fabric i should cover my 5 rudders in, these are for my Super Constellation model i am currently building. These has to be on very light side yet covered in fabric!

Oh forgot to mention, it would be great if pre-painted in white color material is selected.
That just screams for Koverall. Dope them with nitrate dope and paint with paint of choice. It will be as light as any prefinished material. But if you go for prefinished, definitely Solartex.

What's the wingspan on that baby?
Old 06-17-2008, 02:27 AM
Props4ever

ORIGINAL: khodges

ORIGINAL: Props4ever

Hey Guys,

That just screams for Koverall. Dope them with nitrate dope and paint with paint of choice. It will be as light as any prefinished material. But if you go for prefinished, definitely Solartex.

What's the wingspan on that baby?
Her wings spread at 9 feet tip to tip!

Link is on my signature for my thread, check it out, you will not be disappointed!

I will check what is readily available from LHS and make my decision then.

Thanks khodges!.

Sammy
Old 06-17-2008, 05:06 PM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

Just my own thoughts. I have been using the Stits Polyfiber system for the last 15 years. It is the same system used in full scale. The fabric is a smaller weave for models and is basicly polyester cloth. I use the Polycoat type of paints that F7M enterprizes sells on their web-site. The paint is already thinned for spraying. Once this system is on your airframe it adds a large amount of strength to the airframe. Won't sag ever. It weighs about the same as the iron-on coverings and the cost is almost the same.

Take a look ant F&M's web-site before you decide what to do. One thing I have done in the past for a friend is use the poly-tak that holds the fabric on for the iron-on coverings. Just think a bit with MEK and paint on all areas you want the fabric to stick to. Works ten times better than the glue or what ever they use on iron-on coverings. It takes a bit longer to apply this system but it is scale as you want to be and much stronger than the other coverings. A friend of mine cartwheeled his 30% Pitts S2 down the runway and all that happened was some paint rash and one broken rudder tip. Oh yes the prop was trash. But the airframe was just as solid as before he dumped it.

Worth a look.

http://www.stits.com/
Old 06-17-2008, 10:21 PM
DavidAgar

Has anyone heard of WorldTex. My local Hobby Shop has that in stock. Thanks once again, Dave
Old 06-18-2008, 12:37 AM
eagledancer

i have been told worldtex is the same as solartex just repackaged, but i dont know this for sure. have used both and like them both.
if you plan on having the plane for a long time go sig koverall, i have several planes that are 18-20 years old with it and still tight as a drum!
Old 06-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Props4ever

ORIGINAL: eagledancer

i have been told worldtex is the same as solartex just repackaged, but i dont know this for sure. have used both and like them both.
if you plan on having the plane for a long time go sig koverall, i have several planes that are 18-20 years old with it and still tight as a drum!
I have seen this Worldtex covering listed on Great hobbies website but didn't knew what is was until now. It could be same stuff you know.
Yes i am keeping this particular Connie for myself as i am planning to make kits of it in near future.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:05 PM
Campy

WorldTex, SolarTex, pretty much all of the "Tex's" are the same product - just different names.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:04 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: DavidAgar

Has anyone heard of WorldTex. My local Hobby Shop has that in stock. Thanks once again, Dave
Yes, the long-gone World Engines, original importer of Super Tigre and OS engines, distributed World Tex which is as far as I can tell the same material as SolarTex. I have a considerable amount of each in my workshop. World Tex is still distributed by Horizon, however not nearly the selections of the older World Engines, then Indy RC, now Horizon.

I find either very easy to work with, I prepare the wood surface with any of the stick-ems and iron it on. I use clear Butyrate Dope to enhance the tauteness. For modelers, Brodak can't be beat. Like SIG, Brodak is a derivative from Randolph, however Brodak just works very well. For a clear finish you will definitely need some Retarder, and probably for a color also. Brodak Color Dope goes a long way.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:42 PM
DavidAgar

Thanks for all the input. I am thinking that we all need to see the progress on the Super Constellation. Wow what a nice looking plane. Dave