Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

BU.S.A. BRISTOL M-1

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

BU.S.A. BRISTOL M-1

Old 06-24-2008, 02:37 PM
proffj550

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BU.S.A. BRISTOL M-1

I was just wondering what to expect as far as flight charicteristics go. I am planning on powering it with a saito 65
Old 06-24-2008, 03:15 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: BU.S.A. BRISTOL M-1

A .65 should work fine. I have a .80 Saito in mine, and it will haul donkeys. It will handle like a sport plane, good roll rate, loops well and has a moderate amount of pitch coupling (rudder input alone makes it nose down, just counter with some up elevator). Mine will take off in about 15 feet (I'm using a 14-6 MA scimitar wooden prop), and it slows down nicely on approach, stall can be a bit sudden, but mine falls forward instead of snap rolling. I will say that I modified the tail some on mine, the H tail is a tad larger and my elevators are a tad wider (front to back). I did this mainly for scale, and it has the result of making mine a bit more sensitive on the controls. Ground handling leaves a lot to be desired, since it has a skid. I find I can lift my tail with some down elevator, then input rudder and blip the throttle, just be ready with up elevator to plant the tail after it swings around. I make all ground turns to the left, to take advantage of torque and P.

It's a fun plane, you can dogfight anything else WWI and do as well or better.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg13911.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	977710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63923.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	977711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36391.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	977712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75194.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	977713  
Old 06-24-2008, 03:38 PM
proffj550

what does an undercambered wing mean, also the planes that I am used to flying are a 40 size j-3 and a 20 size taylorcraft, Im just wondering if the bristol is going to be comparable.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:00 PM
proffj550

I'm new to the warbird category so any input would be appriciated
Old 06-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

An undercambered wing is one in which the airfoil is convex on the bottom surface, see the pic below.

The Bristol should be well within your flying capabilities and will probably be easier to fly than either a J-3 or the smaller T-craft, IMHO.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:23 PM
bent

One of our senior club pilots was flying his this evening. He had no problem landing and taking off in a mild crosswind. His is finished in a white military scheme, same engine as you and it looks beautiful in the sunshine. I didn't try any aerobatics when I flew it last month, just enjoyed working the rudder and keeping it real.