Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

paint scheme needed for sopwith camel

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

paint scheme needed for sopwith camel

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 03:44 PM
gut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint scheme needed for sopwith camel

My brother and I are both doing 1/6 scale sopwith camels from a guillow's kit plan that has been doubled in size. Our challenge is to find a paint scheme that is some what more colourful that was normally used...I know for the most part that the brits didn't paint up their aircraft like the germans did in the 1st war... mostly they used a drab khaki green on the upper wing surfaces and fuselage, while the bottom wing surfaces were left natural linen... cowls were usually a grey colouring and there was a liberal amount of natural wood showing around the cockpit..
We could due up any scheme but would really like to have something authentic.
if you guys have any pics that show a little more colour or something out of the usual, that would be much appreciated...

Gut
Old 05-25-2003, 06:26 PM
pittsdriver
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out ww1-models.org its a plastic modellers site but you will find a lot of Camel color schemes. Don
Old 05-26-2003, 03:48 AM
gut

thanx don.. I'll chech it out. Gut
Old 05-26-2003, 12:54 PM
r1morris
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used this source for years .The books can be a bit costly but very accurate in detail and information

http://www.wiseowlmagazines.com/
Old 05-26-2003, 03:44 PM
eagledancer-RCU

theres a sopwith camel at rhinebeck that has red/ white nose stripes thats quite colorful
Old 05-26-2003, 11:02 PM
LDaba
My Feedback: (2)

Default Colorful Camel

Gut: I read your post and it sparked a memory. I rummaged through my books and found a very colorful example of a Camel. Ruston Proctor & Co was one of several companies that built the Sopwith design for the Royal Flying Corps. This Camel, B7380, was the 1000 th plane that Rouston produced. It was finished in January 1918. To mark the occasion, Colonel Rouston asked for and received permission to finish the Camel in a "fantastic colour scheme".
"The Camel was emblasoned with the Behudet, an Egyptian winged Sun". The Camel was used in Bond drives and was displayed for fund raising purposes,
I have black and white photos and a schematic of the scheme depicting the upper and lower surfaces and the port side.
The colors are called out and the schematic is shaded to represent the various colors (colours)
It is a most colorful rendition of a Camel. Let me know if you are interested. You can reach me at [email protected]
Happy landings,Tony
Old 05-27-2003, 02:26 AM
gut

thanx Tony, I've seem that colour scheme before, but my brother and I are now thinking of doing up our aircraft to reflect two from the same RFC or RNAS squadron.. Maybe that of Roy Brown and Stearnes "Skeet" Edwards who flew with #9 squadron RNAS...... Canadians wouldn't you know. It would be great to see those two flying formation again.
anyhow, we're still a long way from that first flight... Still just in the planning stage with just the formers and ribs cut to date.

Gut
Old 05-02-2004, 11:18 PM
JMP

Default RE: paint scheme needed for sopwith camel

I have a book with ~ 40 authentic color schemes for camels in it. If you are interested i can scan them and e-mail the to you
Old 05-03-2004, 12:27 AM
gut

Default RE: paint scheme needed for sopwith camel

Hi there JMP. To be honest, this project has been on the back burner for some time now.... All the wing ribs and formers are completed for two aircraft, plus some of the other required parts are done.... But now it's time for flying so we'll get back to it in Sept......

As for the pics... thanx for the offer, and please do sent along anything you may have to share.... you can catch me at [email protected]

Bill aka... Gut