Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

AMR 33% Waco YMF-5 Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

AMR 33% Waco YMF-5 Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 03:28 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: AMR 33% Waco YMF-5 Build

My apologies for that post Anthony, was just ribbing ya a little. That prop look's outstanding and should be for show not flying.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:37 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

No problem with the ribbing, I deserve it.
The prop looks good and with the good clear coat finish the bug spatter is easier to clean off. Adds a lot to the looks of the plane without too much effort. I spent more time and trouble getting the balance corrected.

Later!!
Anthony
Old 06-14-2013, 12:56 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

It's been raining here as well. My field is probably under water as well. Our field flanks a river, and when she floods she floods. I have seen as much as 6+ feet of water over our field, then we have to wait for it to dry out... Wind and rain or both have prevented me from flying for weeks now.

The larger prop does look nicer Anthony.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:11 PM
WacoNut

We had our Father's Day Fly-In today,

We spent all day yesterday running 2 gas pumps to remove the water from the runway and pits. Finally had to give it up around 11:30 last night and face the fact we couldn't get it all dry. We moved the flight line down the runway and mowed an additional 400ft of runway for the event. All in all it went well. The flight line was a bit crowded and closer quarters to the runway than we would have liked but everyone took it in stride.

I did put one flight in on the Waco. She was flying really well but I got an unpleasant surprise when I tried to line up for landing with a 7-8 mph cross wind I did not have enough rudder at low speed to keep the Waco from crabbing and it was crabbing towards the flight line. I made two attempts at lining up and I wasn't satisfied with either one especially with the close quarters we were flying in. I handed the transmitter over to my buddy Stan and relied on him to get the Waco down. He managed to pull off a very smooth landing with the Waco but he fought her the whole way. That is the 1st time I ever saw him physically shaking from landing a plane. The guy usually has nerves of steel.
All in all it was a good day of flying and I received a lot of nice comments about the Waco's performance in the air and how well it looked.

BTW: The 34x10 prop really fits the Waco well, The plane sounds incredible with this prop and it reduced the top end speed. The plane appeared to fly at scale speeds and pulled thru some nice big loops.

Later!!
Anthony
Old 06-16-2013, 08:00 AM
WacoNut

On another note,
On my way home from the fly-in yesterday my truck chucked a front wheel bearing. I tried to nurse it home the last 10 miles and made it to within 3 miles of my house and it locked up[:@]. I had to get a buddy to come and pull my trailer home and had my truck towed to the local garage. Been a rough week.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 07-07-2013, 08:30 PM
RCJones

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soooo...I have been reading this post over the last couple of months as it has become my favorite novel. There was enough going on here to keep my interest. From the build, to seeing Anthony deal with his wife's health issues ( and I hope she is still doing well) to Lonnie and his build and the tragedy he suffered. Followed by the Waco taking to the air...and then coming back for a rebuild. It has certainly been a great and interesting thread. I learned a lot and felt a connection throughout the entire read. That being said, Anthony, thank you for posting in such detail about your building techniques and not being afraid to let us in on your personal life. I may have missed a couple of pages somewhere but was there every any update on Lonnie? Did he bounce back from his loss? I hope he is doing well also. I hope to build a 1/4 Waco one day (been looking at Barth) but for now I want to finish the 1/4 Cub that was given to me and give it to my cousin that has kept me flying for years.

Thanks again Anthony!

Dave
Old 07-08-2013, 02:34 PM
WacoNut

Dave,
I am glad you enjoyed the thread. It was fun the 1st time and the 2nd, really hope their isn't a 3rd

My wife is doing great, thanks for asking. Due to some difficult circumstances we have gained custody of our 5yr old grandson and my wife has officially retired from working to raise him. I thought I was done raising kids but........... He is a future WACO nut in the making, he loves bi-planes and flying on the simulator and going to the field. Won't be long and he will be ready for flight training.

Lonnie did complete and fly his Waco. He also competed with it at Top Gun last year with Mitch Epstein (nine-o-nine) at the controls. I have not heard from Lonnie for quite a while, I hope all is well with him.

Myself I am dealing with too many back issues to get the Waco out at the field. Too much bending over to get the thing assembled. By the time I have it together I am hurting too bad to enjoy flying. Hopefully the docs get me straightened out soon.

The Barth kits are nice and I am sure you will love his 25% kit. Stop in at the big Waco thread in the Golden Age/Vintage forum and join the Brotherhood. There are a couple guys there who have or are building the 25% kit.

Later!!
Anthony
Old 07-13-2013, 04:14 AM
RCJones

Sorry to hear about your back issues...I hope you find some relief. Your grandson is lucky to have you! As for now I am just going to work the 1/4 cub that was given to me. Its all framed up but I would like to make it an L-4. Not sure how to tackle the wing. I guess I will have to send Cubman some $$ and see what his plans say. Better yet I will email him first and see what he has to say about a wing that is already done. I had to step away from the hobby for 10yrs and I am now getting my planes back in order. So much has changed.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:18 PM
hrrcflyer

Default What Servo's

Hey Anthony,

How much torque do you have in the servo's on your Waco? A friend of mine will be building a 1/3 scale AMR Waco over this winter and I was just curious about how much the plane needs.

I hope you get your back problems works out real soon..............

Take care,
David
Old 08-21-2013, 04:29 PM
WacoNut

David,
I am running Hitec HS645MG's on 6v. These have more than enough power for the Waco.

My back issues are a little better after the 2nd round of injections. I start therapy tomorrow so hopefully that will do the trick.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 08-21-2013, 04:49 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear the back is doing better Anthony. I may be going back for another shot here before to long, starting to act up again. And on the thinking we were done, my grand daughter has moved in across the street, I may be her transport to school and such. Now for the Barth, I have a fella that may be going to commission me to build one for him, woo hoo, 1/4 scale. Life is good!
Old 08-28-2013, 10:01 AM
wingstrut

Anthony, I bet you are glad that second build is completed, It looks great in the air, I have followed your build and you did a great job on showing us what you did in every detail.
I commend you for that, it has helped me get through my build, I am also building a 1/3 AMR Waco in between many building projects that I'm doing on the house.
I have the wings almost completed, I will start on the fuselage soon.
My Waco will also be white and blue with just a little difference on the design.
I have a question if you don't mind, I know you balanced at 28%, but did you raise the front of the horizontal stab from the kit plans like a lot of folks say to do?
Have fun with your bird and don't do anything crazy, I hope you can pass the Waco down to your grandson one day and that he will appreciate the many hard hours that were put into it.
Thanks again WacoNut, .....................Ron
Old 08-28-2013, 12:26 PM
WacoNut

Ron,
I raised the front of the stab about 1/8". The Waco required very little trim adjustment from there. If I remember right about 4 clicks of up trim and a couple clicks of aileron.

With any luck I will get the Waco out this weekend. I have only put 3 flights on it since the rebuild due to my back issues. The thing is a beast to handle and bending over to assemble the plane was killing me. The Waco will not be seeing any crazy flying for sure. I plan on keeping it in one piece for a long time.

My grandson is progressing nicely with his flight raining and will be starting on a .40 size trainer in the next couple of weeks. If that goes well I will have him a mid-wing sport plane ready for next spring. I think he is going to keep me busy for a while.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 08-28-2013, 01:16 PM
wingstrut

Sounds like grandpa has a flying buddy, I have great grand children, two are boys but not interested in flying.
I have learned that doing a loop and a roll at altitude is good enough, just seeing that aircraft flying through the air takes your breath away, no crazy aerobatics, save them for the smaller planes.
Thank you for the info................Ron
Old 08-28-2013, 05:00 PM
wingstrut

Anthony, It just hit me, if you raised the front of the horizontal stab 1/8 of an inch and had to apply up elevator, would it not need the up trim if you had set the elevator to the kits specs..........sorry, just trying to figure this thing out............ Ron
Old 08-29-2013, 03:35 PM
WacoNut

Ron,
On the 1st build I had to fly with 4-5 clicks of down trim. I raised it by 1/8" and now it is 4 clicks of down trim. I think if I would have raised it by 1/16" it would have been spot on. Everyone I have talked to has had to use down trim for level flight so I raised mine and went a little too far.

I just hope I never have to rebuild this thing again!!
Anthony
Old 08-29-2013, 04:45 PM
wingstrut

Thank you, Anthony
I don't think I would want to rebuild one either, one is enough!..........and you did two!!!!
You were right when you said that this is a once in a lifetime project, but worth every moment of it.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:02 PM
WacoNut

I just received some 1/3 scale Sensenich prop decals from Gary Sibert at Decal-It.com as with his pinking tapes the decals are of excellent quality. I will get these mounted on my WACO and 1/3 Cub this weekend and post some pics. If you are in need of some decals I suggest giving Gary a try. Here is a link to his modeling page. http://www.decal-it.com/decal-it_2013_007.htm

Later!!
Anthony
Old 08-30-2013, 05:11 PM
wingstrut

Thanks Anthony, I will get some of those decals, they look real good on his site.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:07 AM
WacoNut

I added the decals to the prop. I had forgotten that I did not sand the Xoar logo off of the prop when I detailed it. It would look much better without that. I will be purchasing a new prop before the next flying season as the 34x10 does not leave much ground clearance and I am afraid anything but a perfect landing is going to result in a broken prop. I will buy a 32x12 and detail it up better.

I got enough decals from Decal-it to detail 9 props so I am good to go for a while. I also talked to Gary and I am going to have him make some "N" numbers for the WACO wings. I haven't decided whether I am going to go with vinyl or have him make me some mask and shoot them on with paint.

Here are a few pics of the prop and a decal sheet.
Later!!
Anthony
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	prop 006.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	370.8 KB
ID:	1915072   Click image for larger version

Name:	prop 007.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	351.7 KB
ID:	1915073   Click image for larger version

Name:	prop 008.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	446.4 KB
ID:	1915074   Click image for larger version

Name:	prop 009.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	289.4 KB
ID:	1915075  
Old 08-31-2013, 11:36 AM
WacoNut

I am getting all my planes charged up for flying tomorrow. We are supposed to have 7-10mph winds straight down the runway tomorrow so sounds like a good day to get the Waco out.

I am going to try and get some better video of the Waco tomorrow, if that works out I will post a link to the video.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 08-31-2013, 06:04 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet! Good job Anthony. I really like that Zoar logo too... uh... oops, that wasn't suppose to be there was it. But seriously, I'm jealous!

Looking forward to more video!

Take care,
David
Old 09-01-2013, 10:44 AM
WacoNut

Had a great day at the field today,
I put 2 good flights on the Waco. The winds were straight down the runway. My wife shot some video but became frustrated because she kept losing the plane. I have look at the video and it isn't all that bad. She shot video from both flights but didn't get either landing. I will get the downloaded and edited into one video and post it on youtube. She did pick up the digital SLR and shot some stills and took some pretty good pics. I will attach a few here.

The WACO flew great, I did not remember the prop being that noisy on the plane. It really rips at full throttle(wait for the video). I kept the flights mild and just did a few loops a stall turn and a half baked roll that I aborted after realizing I was on low rates. Lowering the air pressure in the tires did wonders for taming the landings. I still had a small bounce on both landings but nothing compared to before. I feel much more comfortable flying the WACO now for sure.

We have one large assembly table at the field that is capable of holding the WACO, my back feels fine after the assembly and tear down so I guess I can get this thing out and fly more often.

I will post the video link when available. (video is being uploaded)
Later!!
Anthony
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Conners Bday 125.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	374.0 KB
ID:	1915418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Conners Bday 126.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	1915419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Conners Bday 135.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	573.1 KB
ID:	1915420   Click image for larger version

Name:	Conners Bday 136.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	591.9 KB
ID:	1915421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Conners Bday 140.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	838.5 KB
ID:	1915422  

Last edited by WacoNut; 09-01-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:15 PM
WacoNut

The video is now uploaded and working.
I was able to combine the 2 video's into one. Like I said the wife did not get either landing. I need to work with her on a better technique for following the plane and trying not to zoom in to close to the plane. Overall she did OK. Crank the volume up and you will see what I mean about the prop noise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm13R...ature=youtu.be
Later!!
Anthony
Old 09-01-2013, 01:56 PM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

Anthony,

Nice to see the Waco up in the air! Would love to see some landings though. Prop rip is really loud.

A quick question, what did you cover the N-struts with? I'm thinking about using Koveral and Polyc. Started coarse sanding of them this afternoon while keeping an eye on the ribs cooking in the Green Egg.

Chuck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.