Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

AMR 33% Waco YMF-5 Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

AMR 33% Waco YMF-5 Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 02:36 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Chuck,
I covered the struts with fabric and filled the weave. They are a lot of work.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 09-01-2013, 04:14 PM
WacoNut

I shot a video of a club members OMP Extra, it is powered with a DLE-111. He is an excellent pilot and has a ball with the Extra. This is my 1st attempt at shooting video.
http://youtu.be/my2Tpp0oimk
Later!!
Antthony
Old 09-01-2013, 05:07 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice Anthony! Love the Waco! And you know, you did a little better than your wife.

If you have a camera with a view finder, try keeping both eyes open, one eye to keep track of the plane and the other to keep it in the view finder. That's what works for me anyway.

Take care,
David
Old 09-02-2013, 01:46 AM
WacoNut

Thanks David,
I have a Sony Handycam and it does not have a view finder. It just has the little screen on the side which is useless in the sun. I found that just using my finger on top of the screen as a pointer I was able to keep the plane in the frame(for the most part). Shooting flying video is definitely harder than I thought especially with cheap equipment.

A guy in the club snapped this pic yesterday. I think it looks pretty cool.
Later!!
Anthony
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Waco and Flag.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	1915779  
Old 09-02-2013, 03:56 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good job on the video Anthony. The picture is worth framing!
Old 09-02-2013, 11:20 AM
WacoNut

Thanks Steve,
Feels good to fly the WACO again for sure. I put another flight on it today after our clubs Labor Day breakfast and had a very good flight. I let the club president fly a few circuits of the field and took back over for a few circuits and I made a perfect landing on the mains. I turned around and one of the guys was shooting video. Hopefully he will have it posted later today and I will post a link. I looked at the last couple of minutes on his camera and it looked really good.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 09-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

That is one awesome shot Anthony! I second the framing idea!

I know what you mean about a cheap camera, that's all I have too. No view finder, just a screen. I'm almost temped to drag out my old Hi 8 camcorder! Do they still make Hi 8 video tape...?
Old 09-02-2013, 02:00 PM
hrrcflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Anthony,

I love the pic of your Waco and the flag. It really hits home. Oh BTW, thanks for the info on your servo's.

Take care,
David
Old 09-02-2013, 02:40 PM
WacoNut

David,
As you can see in the video there is no lack of servo power. Today the winds were approx. 10 mph aboust 20-25 deg to the runway. The WACO handled the winds just fine on the landing. Still waiting for the video.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 09-02-2013, 05:09 PM
WacoNut

As promised here is a link to the video from today.
Tom did a great job of shooting and editing the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GKr6...ature=youtu.be

I think you can tell I am getting more comfortable with the plane.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 09-02-2013, 06:27 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Ah, so nice! Tom did do a great job, my hat's off to him.

That is such a sweet plane, I'm jealous!
Old 09-03-2013, 03:29 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice video, your Waco looks great in the air.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:04 AM
wingstrut

That's greasing them in there Anthony, great landing!
The Waco tracks well on the turns and flies like a pattern ship, I hope mine flies as well as yours, can't wait to get it finished, a lot of work yet.
It didn't drop like a lot of the ones that I have seen, I don't remember, what was your final weight?
Old 09-03-2013, 12:39 PM
WacoNut

I think the final weight is right around 60# I have not had the chance to weight it yet.

The plane really does fly nice and tracks like it is on rails. The biggest thing is just getting over the pucker factor of all the time and $$$$ that is in the air. The landings are a bit intimidating at 1st but if you keep a little power on during final and chop as you are ready to flare it works out great. The plane will float a little as soon as it gets into the ground effect then will settle on to the mains. I would suggest a nice 5-10mph head wind for your 1st flights. This will help shorten up your landings. We have a 650ft runway and I only used about 200ft on my last few landings.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 09-03-2013, 01:06 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been busy and just seen the video. Very nice flying Anthony, now loosen up those pucker muscles and have some more fun with it.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:12 PM
WacoNut

Hi Robert,
I thought you fell off the face of the earth. The WACO will see the air quite a bit over the next couple of weeks. I don't want to make fool out of myself in Lexington on the 21st. Yes there is still some apprehension when I throttle up to fly but it is getting less with each flight. Just wait till you get the big Pitts done.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 09-03-2013, 03:17 PM
acerc

If winter ever gets here I just may get the Pitts finished. Working to much right now. When my maiden comes I'm quite sure my pucker muscles will be spazzing!! I hope to do as well as you. You gotta remember this is my first really big/expensive plane. And probably my last!!!
Old 09-03-2013, 03:59 PM
WacoNut

The WACO was my 1st gas plane. My previous experience with a big plane was a Sig 1/4 Clipped Wing Cub with a 1.20 4-stroke so the WACO was a huge jump. I now have several gassers but none compare. My 1/3 Cub is so easy to fly and fly's so slow it is not even funny. It will get your heart rate up landing in a 10mph 90 deg crosswind though.

Do yourself a favor and have a good pilot that you trust on standby next to you on the flight-line. You never know when something will happen that will just totally rattle your cage and get you so shook up that you get too nervous to handle the remainder of the flight. Earlier this year I had a bad experience with the WACO, had a good stiff 90 deg crosswind and found I did not have enough rudder throw to keep the plane lined up on final. After 3 aborted attempts and frustration setting in I hit turbulence created from a barn roof that sits adjacent to the runway. This really upset the plane as I was low and slow. I managed to throttle up and fly out of it but I was too shook up to continue and I handed the radio off to a trusted pilot(one of the best in the club). I had given him some previous tick time so he knew how the plane flew. It was all he could do to handle the crosswind and he was visibly shaken by the time he landed the plane. I am glad he was there. It was better to swallow my pride and hand the transmitter over than pack up a crashed plane. Been there done that and it's not fun.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 09-03-2013, 04:42 PM
acerc

Thank you Sir, I will take your advice when the time comes.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:39 AM
wingstrut

I understand Anthony about the cost and the hard work, relying on batteries, switches and your ability to fight the sudden wind gusts on landing.
I estimate the cost of my Waco will be between 7 to 8 thousand,( I'm using a moki for the engine).
You would have to be cold as ice if you didn't get the jitters before and when flying.
Having a back up pilot is wise advise, and picking one if possible, that has a similar type aircraft would be icing on the cake.

As far as the weight, I'm hoping mine will come in below 70 pounds, I believe the 11 pound engine will take it over the 60 pound range.
I want to thank you again for the great thread and many successful flights on the Waco.
Ron

Old 09-04-2013, 12:55 PM
WacoNut

Hi Ron,
The WACO is really a nice flying plane. I have dual batteries and switches for the added safety/piece of mind. The guy that I trust with the WACO fly's a 100cc Extra just about every weekend and does stuff that scares the $#^& out of me. He will not be there this weekend so I a on my own but I feel comfortable enough with the plane now.
Maybe one of these days I can swap out the engine for a Moki, that would be the icing on the cake.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 09-04-2013, 01:29 PM
wingstrut

Yes, I have waited many years for a radial engine that would power a large plane an sound fantastic while doing it.
I retired two years ago and my severance pay bought the moki, or I wouldn't be able to do this.
I plan on dual everything including the receiver, I have my 1/3 scale pup set up that way with A123 Duralite batteries, I have had great luck with this set-up.
Some people say it's over kill, but if something fails at least I will have a back-up.

As long as your co-pilot doesn't try to 3D your Waco you should be fine.Ha!Ha!
I am so happy for you, I will be there one day.
Ron
Old 09-09-2013, 03:12 PM
WacoNut

I received my vinyl "N" numbers from Gary Sibert at http://www.decal-it.com/ The vinyl looks excellent. The numbers are 10" tall and 40" long.

Gary gave me some advice for applying the numbers. I mixed up a spray bottle with a 1/2 TBS of liquid dish soap to a quart of water. The numbers were positioned and a vertical piece of tape put in place to hold the position. The backing paper was removed from one side and the wing and vinyl was sprayed liberally with the solution. It was then laid down on the wing and gently squeegeed down. I found out you need to keep the backing paper on the remaining vinyl dry of it will separate when trying to remove the 2nd half use caution here. The 2nd half of the backing paper was removed them the wing panel was sprayed as well as the vinyl then gently squeegeed in place. As the water/soap evaporate out it should pull the vinyl tightly into place without air bubbles. I will let the panels dry for a couple of hours then squeegee it again a bit firmer. After this spray the application paper with the solution and let it soak for approx. 10 minutes and it should easily release from the vinyl.

I had missed the fact that the original full scale WACO that I modeled had "N" numbers on the wings. The black and white pics I have do not show this very well and unless you look hard you will miss it.

Here are a few pics I took as I was putting the vinyl on.
Anthony

Name:	Qo40541.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	1918479   Click image for larger version

Name:	N numbers 001.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	559.0 KB
ID:	1918480   Click image for larger version

Name:	N numbers 002.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	554.0 KB
ID:	1918481   Click image for larger version

Name:	N numbers 003.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	604.9 KB
ID:	1918482   Click image for larger version

Name:	N numbers 004.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	584.8 KB
ID:	1918483   Click image for larger version

Name:	N numbers 005.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	568.4 KB
ID:	1918484  
Old 09-09-2013, 04:38 PM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Wow, looks great Anthony! I haven't been getting any notifications on new posts so I haven't been checking this thread. I loved your video, the plane looked and sounded great in the air with those magnificent clouds in the sky! Watching that plane fly I just kept thinking about how much work it took you to paint those scallops on those wings...I got tired just thinking about it . N numbers look good, thanks for tipping me on it.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:06 PM
WacoNut

Hi VJ,
Yeah as you know masking and painting all those scallops will wear on you.

I removed the application tape from the "N" numbers on the bottom wing panel and they look nice. No air bubbles. The vinyl conformed great to the rib stitching and tapes. The vinyl tried to lift in a couple of places as I lifted the application tape and it is most likely due to not being dry enough or just a lack of proper technique. I will let the numbers on the top wing sit a bit longer before lifting the application tape off. The black letters almost disappear on the insignia blue but I am sure they will show up better in sunlight. I am sure it is going to look great.

Later!!
Anthony

Name:	N numbers 006.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	472.9 KB
ID:	1918574   Click image for larger version

Name:	N numbers 007.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	349.0 KB
ID:	1918575  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.