Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

AMR 33% Waco YMF-5 Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

AMR 33% Waco YMF-5 Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 03:30 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: AMR 33% Waco YMF-5 Build

Anthony it helps get the oil hotter. I ended up turning the pump down as low as it would go and still run. I use this on my pitts and I get 4 minutes smoke on a 20oz tank. You can also mix in about 20% transmission fluid for more smoke, but I don't cause it leaves more oil on the airframe.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:06 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for the tips Robert,

The wings are now all repaired and just need a good sanding then covering. I am going to go over the fuse really good this week and add some more tri-stock braces here and there as needed. The Stabs appear to be in good shape and I am going to try and leave the covering on them and just give them a sanding. We shall see how that goes. One elevator seems to have broken the glue joint along the L/E piece. I will need to strip the covering and see what is going on inside.

Not too many items remaining before I can start covering.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 01-13-2013, 09:10 PM
mango12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After removing the top cabane, I decided to assemble the top wing, just to take a look at it. I discovered that the top cabane is a little out of square !! The left root rib has an 1/8" gap at the rear, the right root rib has a gap of 1/8" at the front. Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to correct this, without building another cabane? The wires are already cut and bent, and built, so I dont want to have to build another one. Should I just shim the gap, or do you think it would be o.k. to sand out the holes where the phenolic tubes go thru the wing or cabane?
Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks
Old 01-13-2013, 09:31 PM
WacoNut

Scott,
That is a bummer, pics would help. If it just a gap on each side and the tubes are straight I would fill the gaps and sand smooth. If the wing is actually crooked then there is no easy fix. I am guessing that you will just need to fill the gaps and sand it smooth. I would fill the gap and not sand out the holes for the phenolic tubes. These carry alot of stress during flight.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 01-14-2013, 06:25 AM
mango12

Anthony, I'll try to get a picture this evening. Yep the gap is on both sides, one side the leading edge, the other side the trailing edge. With a straight edge ruler held against the leading rdge of both panels, with the wing assembled, they seem to match up pretty well. I guess I will sheet the root on each side of the cabane and then sand to shape. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:19 AM
WacoNut

Scott,
Sounds like your wing jig got knocked out of square while bulding the center section. This will not be that big of an issue just a PITA to shim and sand to get it evened out.
That is one big wing isn't it. I had my top wing together last night bonding the new phenolic tubes in place and forgot how big this thing is, it is still impressive every time I look at it.
Anthony
Old 01-14-2013, 08:52 AM
nine o nine
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Anthony, The smoke system I use is a Sullivan with a variable flow mixed with the throttle. By experimentation one finds out the MINIMUM flow at full throttle that gives the most smoke output and back it down from there as throttle is closed. I know nothing about electric power but I think there's a BEC in the unit that allows this.
The trick to good smoke is heat...inject the oil into the mufflers as close to the exhaust port as possible and use the minimum flow necessary to do the job. If one get's a real mess on the bottom of the plane it's because the oil wasn't vaporized enough from either too much oil for the heat available OR not enough heat for the oil. Simple enough but it takes trials to get the right balance.
Smoke on IS really cool during aerobatics. Just turn it on before the pull ups and off when straight end level again. Smoke on all the time during a flight gets boring for the onlookers.
My set up is that with idle power and smoke switch on nothing happens (for take off) but as soon as I get past about 1/4th power the smoke pump comes on and the runway gets smoked!!
Oh, I use a a 32oz tank and that's good for a 12 to 15 minute flight with many maneuvers
thrown in. Just remember to turn it on and off for each maneuver. Don't even bother on a cloudy day though as it's a waste of money. Gotta have clear blue with puffies for maximum effect. Good luck, Mitch
Old 01-14-2013, 10:25 AM
WacoNut

Thanks Mitch,
I will give it a try. I don't see me using the smoke too much but it will be nice to have it when I want it.
Thanks!!
Anthony
Old 01-14-2013, 03:39 PM
WacoNut

Scott,
While you are working on the cabane wires I want to suggest something. After you get the wood on the wires carefully remove them from the fuse and sand to shape then give them two wrappings of fiberglass cloth. I also suggest you use epoxy to bond the wood to the wires and to itself. If you so not make a good bond and glass them the joints will crack on you. I know from experience. It is a bit of a pain installing the wood on the wires with them mounted to the fuse and the top wing but it is the only way.

I need to redo my cabane wires as the front wires bent during the crash. They both bent at the top soldered on lug. I heated the wires and bent them back straight and quenched them for strength. I was lucky and everything came out perfect when I mounted the top center section. I will be giving the wires 2-3 wraps of fiberglass when I am finsihed. This is the next job on my list. Put it off as long as I could
Later!!
Anthony
Old 01-14-2013, 04:03 PM
bonanzadrv
My Feedback: (21)

Anthony
A tip on drilling out robart hinges.... Use a.piece of sharpened brass tube in a drill.
Should pop out like a plug....
Then easy to epoxy a dowel in and ready for new holes....
The size one up from 3/16 fits perfect....
Bill
Old 01-14-2013, 04:59 PM
WacoNut

Thanks Bill I will give that a try.

Not much going on today, been under the weather all day. I did manage to do a little cleaning in the hobby room and mount the top wing center section. I will start working on covering the front wire tomorrow. You can see in the pic below that the sheeting has been repaired on the top of the center section.
Later!!
Anthony
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78798.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	1840531  
Old 01-15-2013, 04:05 PM
WacoNut

I have the pieces cut and ready to install for the front cabane wire covers. The wood that I have on hand will make them .200 too wide front/back so after I have them installed and cured I will mark them off and run them across the band saw and then sand to final shape. Will be much easier to work with then trying to trim the wood down before assembly. They will be installed with a mixture of epoxy and micro-balloons. Too close to dinner to start the assembly process. I will post some pics later.
Anthony
Old 01-15-2013, 05:50 PM
WacoNut

The wires are now covered, one of those jobs I have been dreading.

As you will see in the pics there are 2pcs of spruce on each cover 1/2" x 1/4" I sanded a slight radius on the edge against the wire and a deer one to give cleanance for the lugs. I cut a 1/16" sheet of balsa to cap off each side. The balsa was bonded on to one spruce pieces with CA then this was glued to the wire with epoxy/miceo-balloons. The other stick then had the mixture added to the radius and was bonded to the 1/16" sheet with CA. The other balsa cap was then glued in place and the gaps at the top where it joins the other wire was filled with the epoxy mixture. The whole assembly is being held in place with a clamp until cured.

Right now it looks more than a little crude but once it has cured I will trim to size and shape. A couple wraps of fiberglass, primer and paint and they will look good as new.
Later!!
Anthony

Name:	Nl30425.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1840922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71421.jpg
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	1840923   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99971.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1840924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53998.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1840925  
Old 01-15-2013, 06:02 PM
acerc

Ahhh.... The diamond in the rough.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:51 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whew!  Finally caught up.  Been too busy lately to keep up on all the posts.  It's really coming along Anthony, looks good!

Back to the subject of smoke for a moment.  Has anyone tried baby oil?  I've got a friend who's been using it with a litlle diesel, 1oz diesel to 1qt baby oil.  It looks really good and smells like a babies butt flying by!    Not going to say what it sound like! 
Old 01-16-2013, 03:33 AM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

David now that was funny...
Old 01-16-2013, 02:30 PM
WacoNut

Not sure if I would be hanging out with guys that stock up on baby oil

Going to remove the cabane wires tonight and see if I can get them trimmed and rough shaped. As with most weather forecast they missed it big time and we did not get any ice so I didn't get to stay home and play like VJ. Some guys have all the luck.
Will post some pics later!!
Anthony
Old 01-16-2013, 03:45 PM
WacoNut

Another dreaded job out of the way.
The shaping went faster then I thought it would. I am happy with the results. A little filler and then cover with fiberglass and they will be good to go. I will have to pick up some fiberglass on my next trip to the hobby shop.
Here are a couple pics of the wires after shaping. The size and shape came out to be a good match.
Anthony

Name:	Wu61798.jpg
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1841239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32062.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	1841240  
Old 01-16-2013, 04:20 PM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Hey I worked........on my plane
Old 01-16-2013, 05:26 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah, come on Anthony!  Hey, I know the stuff worked really well.  It was even an overcast day and the smoke was still visible.  And the cost?  Well, I don't know what it was but I'm sure it's gotta be cheaper than your normal everyday smoke.  Give it a try, you might like it!
Old 01-16-2013, 05:28 PM
acerc

Speaking of sanding, I use one of those Multi-Max tool''s. I use the 1" and 1-1/2" cut off blades with sandpaper fixed to the bottom. Works great.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:34 PM
WacoNut

I will have to post a pic of the tool asortment I use for sanding. Maybe tomorrow.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 01-17-2013, 01:58 PM
mango12

Anthony, while trying to straighten out the wing center section, I made it simple. Clamped the center section to the root rib and added lite ply triangles in front of the main spars on the center section and presto, everything is true. Took about 30 minutes and was a lot easier than shimming and sanding !!
do you happen to remember what size tri stock or part number you used for the corrugations on the ailerons?
Old 01-17-2013, 02:37 PM
WacoNut

Hi Scott, that's good news.

I happen to have a package of the tri-stock. Plastruct P/N 90844 .080/2.0mm Styrene Triangle Stock. If I remember right I ordered it thru Tower. There are 10 pcs in a pack and you get 2 pcs out of each piece for the aileron. I think it takes approx 14 pkgs to complete all 4 aileron's. A real joy of a process cutting, shaping and glueing them all down. Enjoy
Later!!
Anthony
Old 01-19-2013, 06:47 AM
WacoNut

Not much work on the Waco the past couple of days, had to go buy the wife a new laptop last night as hers had died.
Anyhow I am going to work on adding some braces in for mounting the fiberglass hood and removing the old Robart hinges. I will also get my order placed for the fabric and dope for covering. I hope to start covering the plane next weekend. I am going to order 10yds of Poly-Fiber Lite uncertified from Aircraft Spruce along with nitrate dope. I will be odering an extra 5yds for a buddy for covering his 1/4 Cub.
Later!!
Anthony

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.