Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 4 of 133 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: AMR 33% Waco YMF-5 Build

ORIGINAL: Big_Bird

Anthony,
    The reason that I was asking about the pinking tape was because a friend had called me wondering where to get some. He is the one who built the 50% Spacewalker II. He is now covering a huge Tigermoth that he built. It has all of the bells and whistles just like the Spacewalker.
    Ahhhhh,
    Sounds like another nice project.
    Anthony
    WACO Brother #30 Cub Brother #17
    It's not the hours you put in It's what you put into the hours.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anthony: The Waco sure looks good. Keep up the great work. I always enjoy looking at your projects.

Ed

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Ed,
    I have the aileron top skin on and the bottom L/E sheeting, I have flipped the panel over and I am adding the top L/E sheeting. I am going to have to take a break and go get some more masking tape to help me hold the sheeting in place. Notice I am weighing down the panel on the jig to assure I do not induce a warp while sheeting.
    Later!
    Anthony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca82369.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	1058011   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xs58529.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	1058012  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have the trailing and leading edge sheeted and the cap strips applied to the top of the wing. I will flip the wing panel over and add the cap strips to the bottom then add the aileron bay T/E. I will then add the balsa filler block at the L/E and add the wing tip and cap the last rib.
    The wing is a very well thought out design and everything fits great and that really makes this a pleasure to build. I am taking my time to feel my way through the building process and make sure everything is straight and true, I am sure the remaining 3 panels will go much quicker.
    Anthony

Name:	Sq45640.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	1058370  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am just about finished with the 1st panel,
    I am happy with the wing tip, if it's not dead on it's close. The only thing left to do is install the set screw block for the wing tube and 1/8 ply plates around the strut mounts for the covering to adhere to. I have the L/E rough sanded and the sheeting and cap strips, I will wait to finish sand when all the panels are complete. I did remove a little too much stock from the L/E filler block at the wing tip and I will have to put a little filler in before final shaping and sanding.
    I am very hapy with how the wing turned out, the jig works great and the wing is perfectly straight.
    Anthony

Name:	Wt58938.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	1058412   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jf11608.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	1058413   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wc77383.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	1058414   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ga76929.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	1058415  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am not going to bore everybody with pics of building the remaining 3 panels as they build the same. Once I get the outer panels finished I will move on to the top and bottom center sections and I will post some pics of those builds.
    Anthony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I put the engine cowling up against my 25% Waco and set the wing panel on the top wing, it gives you an idea of how large this plane is.
    Anthony

Name:	Qo41261.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	1058684   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ok28637.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	1058685  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sure looking great Anthony.
    Ken
    WACO Brotherhood #70, Arlington TX home of the Dallas Cowboys, SupBowl45, Texas Rangers, World Series 2010, 2011

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Ken but you know how these kits are they go together very well.
    I will have no problems finishing up the other top wing panel tomorrow, I am hoping to finish up the outer wing panels by next weekend.
    Anthony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The 2nd wing panel is going much faster and I should have it completed in a couple of hours and moving on to numer 3. I have been searching the net for some close up pics of a Bosch prop driven generator like you see in the pic of the original Waco and I am having no luck. If anyone has a pic of one please post it here.
    Anthony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You're moving fast, aren't you, Anthony!
    WACO Brotherhood #93
    Current project: 1/6 WACO SRE build from plans

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: kvlasblom

You're moving fast, aren't you, Anthony!
    Actually no,
    The plane builds that easy, it is like building a laser cut sport kit but the pieces are just really BIG
    I have the 2nd panel finished except for sanding and the 3rd panel is on the jig ready for sheeting and cap strips. I am sure I will have the plane all framed up by Christmas. Then the fun begins n all the detailing.
    Anthony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have the bottom right wing panel off the table and I am getting ready for the left,
    The wings are built very similar to the Pepino Waco with one big exception, everything fits like it is supposed to on the AMR Waco. I should have no problem completeing the wings this weekend and then I can move on to the fuselage. I am holding off on the aileron servo installation for now. I thought about running a scale setup for the ailerons but that would mean one very big servo in the bottom wing or 2 high torque servo's slaved together. I am looking into installing a seperate servo in each wing and running the connecting rod through the wing plate and the aileron plate. This would keep the linkages hidden and I could install a false scale aileron connection under the bottom wing for looks. I think this would also be a safer setup as if one servo fails I will still have 3 working aileron's. I will also install a scale looking slave rod between the ailerons but they will be made of 2 pieces of tubing that will slide together in case there is a slight ammount of diffrential between the top and bottom servo and if one servo fails it will not interfere with the other servo. If anyone see's anything wrong with my logic please speak up. This will also let me use Hi-Tech MG645 servo's they push 133oz of torque, should be plenty for each aileron. I will use one for each elevator half and two for the rudder.
    Later!!
    Anthony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anthony,

Sounds good to me. I highly recommend the Futaba MSA-10 servo synchronizer for the 4 aileron servos. It allows you to set neutral and end point independently for each servo. $65 at Tower.

http://www.gpdealera.com/cgi-bin/wga...pgm?I=FUTM4155
    Ken
    WACO Brotherhood #70, Arlington TX home of the Dallas Cowboys, SupBowl45, Texas Rangers, World Series 2010, 2011

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the tip Ken I will check into that.
    I have the last panel in the jig with the spars installed as well as the strut mouting blocks and the shear webs. After the epoxy has cured I can drill the strut mounting aluminum plates and continue on with the assembly. I should be able to finish up this panel tomorrow then start the center sections.
    Anthony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I now have the last panel off the jig, I still need to rough sand the L/E to shape on the last 3 panels as well as install the wing tips. I will get that completed today and start assembly of the center sections. The wing jigs worked great and all the panels came out perfectly straight. I will take some pics of the build on the center sections.
    Later!!
    Anthony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have the outer panels roughed sanded and I am ready to move on to the center sections.
    I am very happy with how the wings came out, no signs of any warping. It is nice being able to build something that goes together like it is supposed too. I am going to try and complete both center sections by the end of the day tomorrow so I can move on to the fuselage next weekend. It took 2 weekends to build the wings(not too bad), I think I can frame up the fuse in one weekend.
    Later!!
    Anthony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I didn't get as much done as I wanted
    The wife had a list as long as my arm this morning so i had to work on the honey do list 1st. I have the spars in the center sections and I am installing the ply shear webs and rib doublers where the wing mouting blocks will be epoxied into place. There is alot of internal structure to the center sections as this will have to support all the load from the wings and keep them firmly mounted to the fuse. I am using epoxy exclusively for all the joints in the center section. The directions call for a mixture of epoxy and micro ballons for gluing in the wing socket tubes, I am also going to make some ply doughnuts to reinforce the joint at each rib. This will add minimal weight especially for a plane this size and the gain in strength will be more than worth it.
    Anthony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am installing the block for the wing mounting bolts,
    The plans show the 3/8 ply plates being epoxied in place with a butt joint. I have decided to take some 3/8x5/16 scrap spruce and make a shelf for the plates to epoxy to. I have the spruce epoxied in place and ready to receive the ply plates, this should assure that the ply plates do not break loose on a rough landing or over tightening and will also help hold the plates in the correct position while the epoxy is curing.
    Anthony

Name:	Mk24866.jpg 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	1064047   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	To45630.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	1064048   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lq37702.jpg 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	1064049  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anthony,

Good idea about the additional reinforcement. However, be careful about weight. If you're going to go for all out scale, the weight adds up in a hurry. My 33% came in at 62 lbs and I don't have a lot of added features. By the way, I was having a little trouble following your explaination for the aileron linkage. Are you talking about using a bellcrank linkage and a push/pull rod to operate the aileron? I put my aileron servos behind the aft spare and used 1 inch titanium linkage bars and HiTech 5985 servos. The HG645 servos should be more then adequate. I am using them in the AMR 44 Racer that I am building. (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_81...tm.htm#8106628)

I got my scale flying wires from Aero Scale Products and I highly recommend them. Hans does beautiful work. He is working on a set from the racer. One other note, I have a custom set of wing bags from Caroline Gergets at Carden. You're going to need them! Those big wings are prime targets from hanger rash. Caroline has patterns from the bags, so it just a matter of getting her to find time to make them. It took me 10 months to break into her schedule, so you might want to think about starting to work on her early. The bags are $350 a set, but they are well worth the money.

Before you get around to covering the wings, consider adding some gussets to the wing tip. I attached a photo of my wing set. I don't know how many times I accidently bumped the tips during handling. I was glad I added a little reinforcement.

Keep up the good work,

Name:	Wu61561.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	1065775   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xt60155.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	1065776  
    Bob
    WACO Brotherhood #105

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My wife makes my wing bags She will make them for me and will most likely have them made before I get the painting complete.
    If you don't mind how much were the flying wires? I already planned on adding support for the tips for a little extra security there especially when your having to push on the tips to seat the wings on the joiner tubes and anti rotation tubes.
    The aileron servo will be mounted in the wing hopefully behind the rear spar and the rod will exit the wing through the aileron bay rear plateand attach to the aileron near the bottom edge. This will keep the linkage hidden. I will most likely use a carbon fiber push rod for the connection, I will have to research this a bit further to decide on a control connection method.

My wife took a look at my hobby room the other day and the lack of space and she has offered to give me another room in the basement that she was using so now I will get a 12x16 room for my building She has already started clearing the room out and I will move into it on Friday and get back to building.
    Later!!
    Anthony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anthony,

If that woman can cook, keep her!! You're a lucky man.

I had a similar interest in keeping the aileron linkage hidden, but was'nt smart enough to think of your idea. With the proper linkage, that concept should work pretty well.

I ordered the flying wiire through Sea Commander in BC, (http://www.seacommander.com/flyingwires.asp) but ended up paying their commission ($50) on top of the real cost. Go directly to Aero Scale Products in Switzerland (http://bredavik.se/flyingwire/) and you can do business directly with Hans. He will accept VISA/Mastercard or PayPal. I personally prefer PayPal because he quotes everything in Swiss francs and PayPal does the conversions on their website. His charge for my WACO wires was $285, if I remember correctly. I paid Sea Commander closer to $350. If you use Sea Commanders website for pricing and subtract 20-25%, you're probably close. If you give Hans the order information, he will quote you a price. He is very responsive, but I think he is on holiday this week. I have been working with him on wires from my Gilmore Red Lion.

I used 4.2mm X 1mm M3.5 wires for the wings and 3.0mm X 0.8mm M2.5 for the horizontal/vertical stab. That's as close as I could come to 33% of full scale. Here's what I ordered:
    Wings -
    2 ea. 979mm
    4 ea. 929mm
    2 ea. 721mm
    2 ea. 675mm

Stab-
    2 ea. 429mm
    2 ea. 362mm

Don't use these numbers for yours, but they will be enough to get an accurate quote. The measurements are from clevis pin center to clevis pin center. All mine fit perfectly. If I were going to order wires again, I would seriously consider his quick release attachment system.

Best of luck,
    Bob
    WACO Brotherhood #105

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks a bunch for the info Bob,
    I will definitely look into the wires.
    Anthony
    BTW: She can cook!!! She has also put up with me for 18 years so I guess I will keep her!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anthony, Your sure are moving along. I just got on this thread and am really enjoying it. Keep up the great work. Tim

Tim (new brother), AMA 43801, IMAA LM-801

WACO Brotherhood # 119

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anthony,

This is what I do to save a lot of assembly time at the field with my Jungmeister. It could possibly be adapted to your Waco.

On the wings I have two 1/4" dowel pins that fit holes in the wing center section. The H bracket is attached to the end of the wings with 4 4-40 screws and blind nuts. The H bracket also has 4 slots that match up with the dowel pins. With the 4 screws removed I hold the wings (with bracket still in place) up to the center section and connect the servo lead. I then slide the dowel pins in and slide the H bracket out. You have the advantage of wing tubes but the bracket would work the same way. This would cut out all of the outer wing interplane and flying wire assembly time. All you would have to do is attach the inboard flying wires etc.

Name:	Ki20179.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	157.3 KB 
ID:	1067357  
    Ken

Page 4 of 133 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast