Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

AMR 33% Waco YMF-5 Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

AMR 33% Waco YMF-5 Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 09:27 AM
georgewaldrop
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by malitape
Somebody please help me out as I'm not a mathematician. What does 175 represent? Inches, feet, pounds, what?
33.5+113.85 does not equal 175. So I'm confused. All the rest of the math, I got. Also, is there a reason why the
two scales can't be put under the wheels at the same time? Or, rest both wheels on a board on top of one scale
to weigh, since individual wheels are combined any way. Of course minus the weight of the board in the calculation.
This method of finding CG is very appealing to me. Just want to understand the madness behind the method. An
answer to my dilemma is much appreciated.
The "175" is, in this example, the total weight of the model in pounds [145.8 + 29.2]...the "CG" in the example given is the unknown, thus the result of the equation [4884.3 + 3321.5 = 8205.8] is divided by the weight of the model [175lbs] giving the distance, in inches, from the "known point" [the plumb bob hanging from the prop shaft]...thus the CG would be 46.89 inches from the "known point"

Clear as mud?

Last edited by georgewaldrop; 10-02-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:35 AM
kochj

Yah.... what he said....
Old 10-02-2013, 11:30 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try this. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips...g-rig-how.html I would never go back to any of those tippy balance rigs from a 10oz foamy to a 100 lb bomber the vanessa rig will show you where the current cg is and allow you to manipulate weight without any fear of your plane falling off and it can be done one handed.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Hey, I like that! Now to build one. Just need to find the time... uh-oh...
Old 10-02-2013, 03:50 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I made one at work from 2 nylon straps and a metal pipe. I suspended the WACO from a 2 ton crane and checked the balance. Works great.
Anthony
Old 10-02-2013, 04:03 PM
wingstrut

Two ton crane!!!!!........The Waco came out a little heavy eh!
Just kidding, Anthony
Old 10-17-2013, 03:45 AM
shaked israel

test fligth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0yXa...MW2Nao1Yhzn25A
Old 10-17-2013, 05:21 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Congratulations Shaked! Beautifull plane and wonderful video presentation. Many happy flights!
Old 10-17-2013, 05:33 AM
shaked israel

thank you
Old 10-17-2013, 05:34 AM
Pittsfire
My Feedback: (5)

Absolutely beautiful Waco. It is by far, my most favorite airplane ever. Thank you for sharing and congratulations!
Old 10-17-2013, 02:19 PM
LouS

Great job Shaked! A beautiful airplane, and an exciting video.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:55 AM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Very nice! That thing looks beautiful in the air! My only complaint, I couldn't hear the music produced by the engine....

Take care,
David
Old 10-20-2013, 10:24 PM
VOX

I also continue to work with the model WACO. My 1:3 scale. I will make this model fully GFK / CFK on a "sandwich" in a negative form. That's where this Topic:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gian...-composit.html

Albert
Waco Brother 229
Old 11-27-2013, 08:10 AM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

Unfortunately for health reasons, I'm not going to be finishing my third scale Barth Waco. If you are interested look at my ad.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=951420

Chuck
Old 11-27-2013, 12:45 PM
WacoNut

That's a bummer Chuck,
I know how much you were looking forward to finishing the WACO. I hope everything works out OK.
Anthony
Old 12-30-2013, 03:54 AM
TeeBall

Anthony,

Just wanted to drop you a line, introduce myself and let you know how much I admire your AMR 33% Waco. Very beautiful job building this airplane! I love the color scheme and all the details. I have been a big fan of all airplanes since my Dad first took me to see the Blue Angels fly, but fell in love with the Waco's when I first saw Jimmy Franklin in his "Dueling Waco's" act many years ago at the Reno Air Races. I have been building and flying RC airplanes since grade school (over 30 years ago)...not an expert pilot, I think I enjoy the build more than the flying.

I have mostly smaller aircraft, but did put together a 1/4 scale cub ARF a couple years ago...miraculously...after some very careful flying...it is still airworthy. I am now looking at the AMR 33% Waco. Found your forum while doing some research...have not finished reading every single page, but enough to get a good idea. I build real airplanes for a living, have been an FAA A&P mechanic for many years, so I think I am up to the challenge of the AMR kit. They were still teaching dope & fabric when I got my A&P back in the 80's. I am currently on my final assignment living in France. I am planning on starting the Waco when I return home to the states and retire. To difficult (and expensive) to get things delivered here to start it now. I would really like to use the Moki 215cc radial, but will make that decision later.

I have many questions about your build, but do not want to bother you with them now. Look forward to any advice you might have for me in the future.

Good luck with your up-coming airshows.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 12-30-2013, 08:10 AM
WacoNut

Hi Kevin,
I pretty much cover every aspect of the build and unfortunately most of it twice here in this thread. You will enjoy the build, the framing up is pretty much straight forward construction. Adding the details is what will try your patience and skills. The plane is really impressive in the air as well as on the ground.

The paint scheme I chose is an original WACO built back in 1934, I like it as it is much different from the rest of the WACO's you se being modeled. Also the contrast in colors make it show up very well against the blue sky and clouds.

When you get started on your kit don't hesitate to post questions here and I will try to answer them the best I can.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 12-31-2013, 01:00 AM
TeeBall

Anthony,

Thanks for the quick reply. I agree your color scheme is original and unique, and obviously a benefit in the air. I have not decided on a color scheme yet, but I do like the Jimmy Franklin design with the skull and cross-bones.

Yes....from what I have read, you have covered every aspect of your build, in very specific detail and photos (I like photos), which I'm sure many people are taking advantage of. I just had some thoughts come to mind that I did not see and explanation for, which might be explained elsewhere. I am new to this forum....is there a way to search for information?

For instance: the rivets you apply to the exterior skin, cowling, ailerons for a real scale look. Do you make these out of sheet aluminum (punch or stamp) or can you buy them? I also read the discussions from you and different people about how they are applied. It appears you are using a soldering iron? Do you heat each rivet and bond them into the existing primer? When you were all done did you figure out a best practice for these rivets?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 12-31-2013, 07:12 AM
WacoNut

Kevin,
I punched the rivets out of aluminum pop cans. I made the punch for a piece of music wire that measured .115 in dia. This is very close to the scale dia. of the rivet heads. You need a hard piece of rubber to lay the aluminum on then just whack the punch with a small hammer. Other guys have had success with putting the punch in their drill press and just using it as a press to punch the rivets out. I have not tried this method.

For securing the rivets I put them into place (around 20 at a time) and then touch each one with a soldering iron for 1-2 seconds. This will set the rivet into the primer. You want to have a good 2 coats of high fill primer on the plane for the rivets to set into. It won't take long to get the feel for how long to hold the soldering iron on the rivets, if you look close you can actually see the rivet bury into the primer. As soon as it does pull the iron away or it will burn the primer.

If I remember correctly I used over 3,000 rivets on the plane. You will start going cross eyed putting them on the plane.

BTW: Jimmy Franklin flew a highly modified WACO UPF-7, it is a totally different airframe from a YMF-5. The only thing the same between the 2 planes in the aileron's. With that being said as long as you are not going to compete with the plane have fun with it and paint it as you see fit. A YMF-5 looks great in that scheme.

Later!!
Anthony
Old 01-01-2014, 03:40 AM
TeeBall

Anthony,

Thanks for the explanation...the process of making the rivets and applying them totally makes sense now as explained. The diameter certainly helps and I did not realize they were as flat and thin as coke can aluminum. I can only imagine the type of repetitive strain this can cause. I would expect to complete this in some developed comfortable stages to avoid going cross-eyed.

I did realize Franklin's Waco was a different model and modified. I believe his cockpit was located further back and he installed a larger engine than the stock UPF-7. I do not have plans to compete with this kit...just want to have some fun with it...but who knows what the future holds.

Have you seen this pictorial of Jimmy's son Kyle, on how he breaks down his Waco for transportation to each airshow? Pretty amazing...!

http://airpigz.com/blog/2010/7/23/th...e-trailer.html

Thanks again,
Kevin
Old 01-01-2014, 07:14 AM
WacoNut

Kevin,
I did put a slight radius on the end of the punch for the rivets, this gives them a little bit of a dome look.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 06-25-2014, 07:30 PM
mango12

Hi Anthony. Still working on my Waco ! Getting close now. Can you remember how much rib stitching you ordered from scale rib stitching? The fuse is almost ready for paint, top wing is covered except for stitching and pinking, bottom wing is near completion. I mounted the Evo 260 last week and it fits in the cowl perfectly !! So ready to get this plane finished and flying. Thanks, Scott
Old 06-26-2014, 01:46 PM
WacoNut

Hi Scott,
I do not remember how much I ordered. Just use their calculator to figure out how much you will need and you will be OK.

Glad to hear you are making good progress. I am sure it will be worth the effort once complete.

I have been too busy at work to fly much, not enough flying in to get the WACO out.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 07-13-2014, 12:48 PM
wingstrut

Anthony, I wasn't notified that I had an e-mail from you, something wrong with my system.
The instructions for the landing gear axle doesn't match what I have, I will try to send you a photo, does this look like what you had.
Did the threaded end of the 3/8 diameter bolt go into the wheel pants on the inside of the pants, and if it did how did you secure it?
As I stated before I have never built an airplane with wheel pants and the instructions in my kit is ZERO!

How is your back, I know those things are miserable, I have a dislocated bone in my back behind my shoulder blade that is inoperable, I have had it since my twenties, it is pinching a nerve, it gives me a real problem once in a while.
I hope you don't have anymore problems with your health, you are too young.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	729
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	2013781  
Old 07-14-2014, 06:22 AM
mango12

What I did as thread the bolt into the landing gear, determined the proper axle length, and cut off the remainder.
Can someone tell me where the prop wash areas are ? I'm ready to start applying rib stitches and as told that the prop wash areas have closer spaced stitching. Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.