Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Is a Magnum 1.08 too big for a Sig Yak 18?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Is a Magnum 1.08 too big for a Sig Yak 18?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 06:58 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is a Magnum 1.08 too big for a Sig Yak 18?

I have a Sig Yak 18 PM kit which is 72 inch span I think, and advertised at about 10 pounds or so. The kit is fixed gear, and I am modding it to include retracts and the little drag brake on the bottom. I'm going to detail and paint it for a contest Scale ship.

It is designed for a 60, back in 1968, but I have a nice Magnum 1.08 and it fits pretty well in the cowling with minumal cutouts.
Is this engine too big and heavy for this kit in you guys opinions, or is it just right?

Thanks for any comments.
Chris...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31803.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	1093992  
Old 12-22-2008, 01:15 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Is a Magnum 1.08 too big for a Sig Yak 18?

I have a Magnum 108 in a Top Flite Thunderbolt which is only 63 inch span but quite heavy at around 12 pounds.

No problems at all, although consider a bigger prop than the recommended, I use a 15 x 8 Master. - John.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:47 PM
stuntflyr

Thanks for the note, Boomerang.
I'll keep your thoughts on this in mind.
Chris...
Old 12-23-2008, 07:24 PM
jlovitt
My Feedback: (41)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that a 1.08 is a bit much for this airplane. The one my dad built had an OS 61SF which fit inside the cowl with no cut outs. That one did great for a dozen years or so. His new one is being built with an OS 75AX which I feel is the ideal combo. I think the 1.08, besides hanging unneccessarily outside the cowl will be a weight/balance liability.

The photo that you have attached is one of very few that seem to exist. It is however a Yak 18 P version. The P version has more dihedral and a forward cockpit placement. The Yak 18 PM has less dihedral, and a rear cockpit location. A bit more refined for international aerobatic competition.

Jeff
Old 12-23-2008, 10:19 PM
stuntflyr

ORIGINAL: jlovitt

I think that a 1.08 is a bit much for this airplane. The one my dad built had an OS 61SF which fit inside the cowl with no cut outs. That one did great for a dozen years or so. His new one is being built with an OS 75AX which I feel is the ideal combo. I think the 1.08, besides hanging unneccessarily outside the cowl will be a weight/balance liability.

The photo that you have attached is one of very few that seem to exist. It is however a Yak 18 P version. The P version has more dihedral and a forward cockpit placement. The Yak 18 PM has less dihedral, and a rear cockpit location. A bit more refined for international aerobatic competition.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,
I see you are knowledgeable about the type. I have found evidence of only one Yak 18 PM in existence, it's airworthy in Georgia, USA I believe in some kind of US military quasi-memorial paint scheme.

Good points, as the 75 would still fit inside the cowling nicely. How much did your father's Yak weigh with the 60, and the proposed weight of his 75 powered version? What retracts is he using? Have you any color docs of the PM in overall red?!

Love to have answers to these questions. Thanks again and Happy Holidays,
Chris...
Old 12-24-2008, 12:27 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I have some Aeromodeller 3 view drawings & B & W photos of both the PS & PM versions. Any use to you?

If so PM me with your email address & they will be on their way. - John.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:51 PM
airboss45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John, can you still forward 3 views and B&W photo's of the yak 18? my email address is : [email protected] thanks don