Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Balsa USA Spad 13 build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Balsa USA Spad 13 build

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 09:45 PM
clearblue
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Balsa USA Spad 13 build

Don have you tried a double blade razor? the old style shaving blade. They cut really clean lines. And as Dave said he used solartex as rib tape and his ship looks great. Check out his Albatros, http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_67..._8/key_/tm.htm And yes a couple of beers would help the story. Cheers, Jim
Old 03-01-2010, 10:20 PM
JustFlyIt

Dave, I will give the Solartex idea a try. Sounds like it will even add some scale detail!

Jim, I didn't realize double blade razors were still available. I will give those a try tomorrow. Thanks for the link. The pictures were inspiring (awesome plane Dave). The way my covering job is currently going I am not convince that I will be putting out great pictures. In fact, I think that I will be pulling some of my new covering off and trying again (going to need those beers).

At this point I have gone from a Memorial Day flying goal to in the air before this year's Hoosier Dawn Patrol in August.

Thanks for the input, its really appreciated.
Don
Old 03-01-2010, 11:09 PM
JustFlyIt

Reading some of the other threads on this type of build I have figured out one thing, I haven't done near the sanding job that I need to do.

Oh and one other thing, if I use the Nitrate Dope in the garage without opening the door again my wife is probably going to kill me (if the fumes don't first).
Old 03-02-2010, 10:58 AM
semeraro

I sprayed nitrate in a closed garage once. Not a good idea.

Sanding and surface prep is important to a good finish. I have covered with koverall and not used rib tapes but when doing that I had to do many cycles of dope and sand to smooth the seams. For me the covering always looks bad until I get several thinned coats of dope on it. You are going to need 3 or 4 coats to fill the weave anyway. At least I do. Dont get discouraged and keep plugging away.

If you really want to scare yourself try some glenn torrance lozenge fabric. The intermediate state looks horrible but the finished product is stunning.

I am planning on going to the HDP myself. Hope to see you there.

Dave
Old 03-03-2010, 09:28 AM
JustFlyIt

Well I am slow but I finally catch on sooner or later. The main covering problem that I was having was attaching the cloth to the fuse on the the hard sides near the cockpit. I originally did a crap job of cutting the cloth and ended up with a ragged, bumpy line on each side of the fuse. After reading all your guy's previous comments I decide to dope the sides up (really soaking it in). After it soaked in but before it dried I used a double edge razor to make a straight cut and then pulled away the screwed up material.

More dope and a huge amount of sanding allowed me to smooth the new straighter edges to where it almost blends in with the fuse wood. Not perfect but not horrible for my first time at this.

Some guys are using water based Minwax instead of the nitrate dope. I tried it. Smells better but really runny....so I am not sure if I am using it right. Overall impression is that the dope will provide a tougher finish. Is this true?

Next, auto body putty the fuse wood surface, sand my brains out and then primer.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:30 PM
semeraro

I have covered with Koverall two ways. Both ways start off with 2 coats of nitrate dope to the bare wood. I sand lightly after the first coat just to knock the fuzz down that the dope raises. Of course sand the bare balsa smooth before the first coat of dope. After the second coat is dry I either use stidk-it from sig or attach the old fashioned way with dope. Stick-it is a liquid heat activated glue that you paint on the doped surface all around the edges of where you want your koverall to attach. Then you let it dry and put your koverall on with an iron sort of like monokote. The heat from the iron activates the glue and sticks the covering down. Then you shrink out the wrinkles with the iron or a heat gun. This is followed by as many coats of nitrate as it takes to fill the weave. The other method involves using nitrate dope as an adhesive and working like you would with tissue. Put some dope on where you would have put on stick-it. Let it dry and then lay on the koverall. Go over the edge with a brush full of thinner to soften the dope under the covering and rub down the koverall with your finger. When the dope sticks to the koverall move to another section and repeat. I have to tell you using stick-it is faster and easier. I think both of these techniques have been described on other threads by other modelers. And I think they are even on the directions for koverall itself. Anyway, I thought I would throw this in for the heck of it. I should mention I have not covered a whole lot with koverall. Dave Johnson turned me on to the stuff a couple of years ago. I really like it and the only other covering I will use for scale models is Glenn Torrance fabric when I need the lozenge finish. Anyway that is my blather for the evening. WWI rules!

Dave
Old 03-28-2010, 09:50 AM
R/C Ray
My Feedback: (6)

I'm in the Process of starting to Build my BUSA Spad XIII. Has anyone out there come up with a REMOVABLE Wing System that works?! I'm trying to come up with something to help with Transport and Assembly at the Field. Please give me some detail if you can help me out.

Thanks,
Ray.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:28 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

All I've seen use the factory dessigned method. You are looking for something else?

steve
www.hoosierdawnpatrol.com
Old 03-28-2010, 04:09 PM
wwoneguy

ORIGINAL: R/C Ray

I'm in the Process of starting to Build my BUSA Spad XIII. Has anyone out there come up with a REMOVABLE Wing System that works?! I'm trying to come up with something to help with Transport and Assembly at the Field. Please give me some detail if you can help me out.

Thanks,
Ray.
Hi Ray, I built my Spads wings as per the book ,but I fixed the landing gear to the bottom wing full time. I cut the belly pan to fit the wing/gear section and installed some mounting blocks to the bottom of the wing to screw the cut section of the belly pan to. Now I don't have to install the wing ,then the gear,then the belly pan at the field. Its all one unit.Now this might not help you transport it ,but it sure makes the field time better. I also made a cradel to set the fuse.in to get to the field. I used a section of 3/4" plywood as the base,and cut two 2" foam cradles to fit the fuse. Oh ,I screwed the aft of the belly pan in place to the plane. It took a little bit to work out the geometry of cutting the belly pan sections so they don't hit when you install them. I also cut two holes in the belly pan to get to the wing screws and the screws stay with the wing. I don't have any pics but if you need i'll take some. Gary
Old 03-29-2010, 01:27 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: semeraro

I have covered with Koverall two ways. Both ways start off with 2 coats of nitrate dope to the bare wood. I sand lightly after the first coat just to knock the fuzz down that the dope raises. Of course sand the bare balsa smooth before the first coat of dope. After the second coat is dry I either use stidk-it from sig or attach the old fashioned way with dope. Stick-it is a liquid heat activated glue that you paint on the doped surface all around the edges of where you want your koverall to attach. Then you let it dry and put your koverall on with an iron sort of like monokote. The heat from the iron activates the glue and sticks the covering down. Then you shrink out the wrinkles with the iron or a heat gun. This is followed by as many coats of nitrate as it takes to fill the weave. The other method involves using nitrate dope as an adhesive and working like you would with tissue. Put some dope on where you would have put on stick-it. Let it dry and then lay on the koverall. Go over the edge with a brush full of thinner to soften the dope under the covering and rub down the koverall with your finger. When the dope sticks to the koverall move to another section and repeat. I have to tell you using stick-it is faster and easier. I think both of these techniques have been described on other threads by other modelers. And I think they are even on the directions for koverall itself. Anyway, I thought I would throw this in for the heck of it. I should mention I have not covered a whole lot with koverall. Dave Johnson turned me on to the stuff a couple of years ago. I really like it and the only other covering I will use for scale models is Glenn Torrance fabric when I need the lozenge finish. Anyway that is my blather for the evening. WWI rules!

Dave
I just purchased a material from Aircraft Spruce that is a Dacron. It reminds me very much of Koverall, but has a tighter weave. It is the lightest they carry and is only like $3.20 a yard. This is on a 60" roll. So for $3.20 you get 5' X 3'. So I just got a roll of 10 yards and it was only $32! It has no glue but it shrinks great with heat, gun or iron. I tell you, the full scale stuff seems to be the way to go if trying to save money.
I plan on using Balsarite or stixit to adhere it and then I will just seal it up with Poly-u. No smell on this one!
Old 03-30-2010, 09:29 AM
semeraro

Hi vertical,

Do you know what the dacron weighs per yard. I am always trying to diversify my sources for supplies. If koverall should vanish I would like an alternative. I have a bit of dress lining from a fabric store I have been meaning to try. I dont think it was very expensive either and I have heard others say they have used it in the past. It is getting warm enough to dope in the garage now and I have a PT-19 that a buddy of mine asked me to cover for him. I might try the dress lining on the rudder just to see how it looks.

Dave
Old 03-30-2010, 01:30 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I am not sure, but you can look it up in their website. If you need help finding it let me know. Maybe I can post a link later. My lunchtime is over right now, back to work!
Old 04-22-2010, 07:41 PM
R/C Ray
My Feedback: (6)

I'm at the point of building the landing gear on my Spad. I don't like the way that BUSA designed the gear. I made major changes to my Nieuport 17, which really looks great and works well. My problem is finding pictures of the Spad gear?! Mostly the outer plat that has the slot where the axle rides in. Does anyone know of a site that shows this detail? Maybe a picture or two of YOUR gear and "HOW" you set it up.

Thanks,
Ray.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:46 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

If you can't find a picture you can pretty much engineer the plate after its function... There's a vertical slot that allows the axel to move up and down. The spreader bar has a front and rear bar that extends through the main gear support and is most likely attached via nuts on the outside. The bungee damp the axel. I've seen two different versions of the bungee.. One shows the bungee on the inside. This is wrapped around the spreader bar and damps the axel. The other one shows the bungee on the outside wrapped around the base of the main gear.

Look here.. lots of good stuff:

storage.mfa.free.fr/SpadXIIIuk.html storage.mfa.free.fr/SpadXIIIuk.htm
Old 04-22-2010, 09:14 PM
JohnF

Maybe this will help
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42784.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	1423070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg13977.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	1423071  
Old 04-23-2010, 09:55 AM
Tmoth4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I built the LG on my SPAD according to the BUSA plans and it works surprisingly well. Ground handling is better than I expected. I modified the wings to have a thinner airfoil just to make it look more scale. I also modified the nose shape a little. The model flies great!

Covering is Sig Koverall and paint is Behr latex with a polyurethane clearcoat on the cowl areas. The rest of the plane has a Polycrylic cleacoat.

Jim

Name:	Mk25885.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1423294   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37756.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1423295  
Old 04-23-2010, 10:05 AM
BobH

Jim, youe Spad looks really great. Exactly how did you thin the ribs? The one thing that bothers me is the really thick airfoil of the stock kit.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Tmoth4

ORIGINAL: BobH

Jim, youe Spad looks really great. Exactly how did you thin the ribs? The one thing that bothers me is the really thick airfoil of the stock kit.
I did it on My 1/3 scale N-28 also. I make a plywood template and use it to trim off the bottoms of the ribs. I don't mess with the top curvature. It's not that hard once you get going, although the SPAD has a LOT of ribs! It's also necessary to deepen the bottom spar slots. On my 1/3 N-28 I cut off almost 1/2" off the ribs! ...and it's still thicker than scale, but it looks better to me. Thinning the ribs on the SPAD did not affect the flight negatively at all. (...might be a bit faster though)

Thinning the wing section necessitates using functional flying wires, but I don't mind that.

Attached is a picture of how I thinned the Nieuport ribs. You can't thin them too much or you won't be able to use their spar stock.

Jim

Name:	Mk25146.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1423301  
Old 04-23-2010, 10:41 AM
JohnF

Jim, you have to be the king of BUSA kit builders! [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 04-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Tmoth4

ORIGINAL: JohnF

Jim, you have to be the king of BUSA kit builders! [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Thanks, John. Here are a few more pics of some of the details. I made my own radiator grille using light ply and basswood. It's held in place with 4 screws. The louvered plastic panels are from the kit, the guns are from the BUSA kits, and the windshield is my own, made from 1/32" ply. There are a lot of inaccuracies, but I'm very happy with the overall looks.

Some day I'm going to enlarge the plans of this and build a 1/3 scale version. I just love the way this plane flies!

Jim

Name:	Bz79576.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1423329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28170.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1423330   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28295.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1423331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr45986.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	1423332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb37062.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1423333   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ar99424.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1423334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fh81543.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	1423335  
Old 04-23-2010, 12:08 PM
Tmoth4

I forgot to mention that I moved the CG forward by about 3/4". The wings are directly in line (no stagger), so I went with 25% of the upper wing chord, which to me is the best starting point for most warbirds. The wheels are pretty far forward, so it doesn't have a tendancy to tip over on it's nose like a lot of WW1 models.

Jim
Old 04-23-2010, 12:16 PM
BobH

Jim thank you for the information. Would it be possible to get a card board template of you Spad rib? I'd pay
Old 04-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Tmoth4

ORIGINAL: BobH

Jim thank you for the information. Would it be possible to get a card board template of you Spad rib? I'd pay

I'll see if I can attach a PDF file here.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Tmoth4

This is all I could find for now, but it shows where I removed wood.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Da83403.pdf (92.3 KB, 76 views)
Old 04-23-2010, 08:12 PM
BobH

Jim, I was able to open the fine once.. and that was it I sent you a pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.