Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Posting images on RCSB?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Posting images on RCSB?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 11:26 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Posting images on RCSB?

Can someone explain how to post photos over on the RCSB site? Does one have to become a "site subscriber" to be able to directly upload photos into a thread? I can see a link for embedding photos that are on some other website but that would be a royal hassle. I'd be glad to subscribe if that's what's needed to upload photos.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:42 AM
TFF

Default RE: Posting images on RCSB?

I think you have to be a member for full access. Otherwise you get 5 posts. The builders are great there, but it is in a different pace; not as alive as RCU, but more top end kits and designs built.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:58 AM
abufletcher

I'm considering where to place the CD ScaleDesigns Albatros CI build that I'll be starting in the not to distant future. I thought I'd post a "test thread" on my Snipe over on RCSB to see how it works. It's definitely the "Big Leagues" over there and I'm a little intimidated by it. Actually my Snipe build here on RCU (all 60+ pages of it) mirrored the extensive build threads common on RCSB. I ended up choosing RCU for the Snipe because at the time RCSB was often down and very slow. It seems better now but I'll have to see whether if fits my style of posting. I often post multiple photos and I must admit that I love the RCU java-script driven way of handling thumbnails and looking through photos.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:01 PM
abufletcher

I just subscribed ($20 a year) so now I can give it a good test drive. Even if I don't decided to move my build(s) there, it's well worth $20 just to support such a great building community.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:06 PM
CTDavies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my images on my webpage server, so I just hook up the links. Not sure if you can upload images to the RCSB server now because I haven't done it for a while. You could place you images on one of the image hosting sites and then use the links as well.
CT
Old 02-28-2009, 12:08 PM
TFF

Your stuff belongs there. Because you are able to do so much in a short time, you would be a big draw and will cause similar withdrawals when you dont post. The site is slow but it does not have the audience; it is almost like a RC club.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:29 PM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: CTDavies

I have my images on my webpage server, so I just hook up the links. Not sure if you can upload images to the RCSB server now because I haven't done it for a while. You could place you images on one of the image hosting sites and then use the links as well.
CT
With as many photos as I post linking to an outside server would be a drag. I think with my new subscription I'll be able to upload photos to RCSB though I'll have to check on things like file size. In the past I remember having to do all sort of digital contortions to get the files down to an acceptable size. Here on RCU it's a snap.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:30 PM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: TFF

Your stuff belongs there. Because you are able to do so much in a short time, you would be a big draw and will cause similar withdrawals when you dont post. The site is slow but it does not have the audience; it is almost like a RC club.
So you're saying that my "exhibitionist tendencies" belong here?
Old 02-28-2009, 12:46 PM
TFF

"exhibitionist tendencies" I will fallow your threads anywhere; just dont turn the camera around, I dont want to know what you wear while building.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:38 PM
puff daddy

Guy's, It's really not that hard. There are several programs, Photo Razor being one of them.

http://www.stormdance.net/software/p...20overview.htm

That you can resize pic's to the size that's necessary... Or you can possibly do what I have done and just find a setting that size's the pic's to the right size without having to re-size them, in your camera menu.

A couple of reason's the pic size is limited is!!!

A. Doesn't matter what the pic size is. Most monitors won't resolve the high pixel rate of high res pic's.

B. To keep the server space down to keep the cost of running the site to minimum.

The price to pay for the info on that site is well worth the effort.
Hope you are able to figure it out.
Randy
Old 02-28-2009, 01:54 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: puff daddy

Guy's, It's really not that hard. There are several programs, Photo Razor being one of them.

http://www.stormdance.net/software/p...20overview.htm

That you can resize pic's to the size that's necessary... Or you can possibly do what I have done and just find a setting that size's the pic's to the right size without having to re-size them, in your camera menu.

A couple of reason's the pic size is limited is!!!

A. Doesn't matter what the pic size is. Most monitors won't resolve the high pixel rate of high res pic's.

B. To keep the server space down to keep the cost of running the site to minimum.

The price to pay for the info on that site is well worth the effort.
Hope you are able to figure it out.
Randy

randy is right. yes, the site loads slow, the photos have to be resized, blah, blah, blah. but the builders there and the info available are without equal. no way can a scale builder be without access to that site. i believe i just donated for the 4th yr in a row.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:01 PM
puff daddy

Thanks for the nice comment's David. And this is coming from a man who posted something that I deleted yesterday! Does that tell you something? David, you know we appreciate your support.
Thanks again buddy.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
So how do you think Nigel should use the tail weight of his Savoia???
Old 02-28-2009, 02:23 PM
abufletcher

I use photoshop for all my photo editing. It has the power to do almost anything but I mostly use it for pretty simple stuff. I have an action set up as a button that resizes my photos (after I've cropped them the way I like) to a reasonable size (800x600 at 150ppi) that's ok for printing but also uploads easily. 72ppi would be fine for screen viewing but looks terrible printed. If I really need to squeeze down the image size I can use photoshop's "save for web" function that plays around with the color palette.

Anyway, I'll put of a test thread on my Snipe on RCSB and see how it goes from there.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:53 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

An easy way to post photos on RCSB (or anywhere else for that matter) is simply to register yourself for a free Photobucket account. You can thn upload your photos to Photobucket, which will automatically resize them if they are too large, and then you can simply image link to them in the thread.

PS - This is not an end run around becoming a site supporter. You will still need to be a supporter to display images, whether they are linked from somewhere else or uploaded directly to the RCSB site.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:43 PM
allanflowers

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I used to support that site but have frankly given up on it. There is no excuse for such a slow website in this day and age. I have a fast cable connection on my computer but it is PAINFUL to try to use RCSB. Making it worse is the organization, which forces one to navigate through the slow maze to find stuff. Another problem is the fact that each page in a thread has so few posts, one again is forced to navigate more often than necessary.
Maybe they should update from the Atari they are using as a server!
Old 02-28-2009, 10:28 PM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: allanflowers
Ouch! That's cold bro! But, yeah, that's pretty much my feeling too: Slow and awkward to navigate although I do remind myself that easy of navigation is partly about what you're used to. Also, it's probably unfair to compare RCSB with a huge commercial enterprise like like RCU which is obviously making big bucks on advertising. In spirit I'd really prefer to post my builds on RCSB, but in practical terms and in terms of audience I prefer RCU. I've also thought about RC Groups but their primarily about smaller electric scale.

Plus, I've been around RCU for quite a while and know you guys!
Old 02-28-2009, 11:44 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

I used to support that site but have frankly given up on it. There is no excuse for such a slow website in this day and age. I have a fast cable connection on my computer but it is PAINFUL to try to use RCSB. Making it worse is the organization, which forces one to navigate through the slow maze to find stuff. Another problem is the fact that each page in a thread has so few posts, one again is forced to navigate more often than necessary.

wow, sorry you left our site.
now I have all the answers on how
to fix it

didnt realize we sucked that bad[8D]
Old 03-01-2009, 01:24 AM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: t_burley
It's not a matter or suck or not suck. It's a matter of relative advantages. RCSB offers a wonderful community of very dedicated and very skilled scale modelers. That to me is the biggest draw. There are great modelers here on RCU (and particularly on the Scale Forum, which is really the primary place I hang out) and there great modelers on RC Groups (and tons of great modelers on various non-English European forums). But RCSB probably offers the greatest density of serious scale modelers of any forum. But it's also (almost by definition) a smaller community. RCU is a much larger community (for example, my Snipe thread has had over 90,000 hits) but we're a broader group and people here are more into "sport scale" modeling. Each forum community also has its own culture.

In terms of the interface, RCU is head and shoulders above RCSB. That's just a fact. RCU is a commercial enterprise (with the ads to prove it). RCSB is a wonderful site run and maintained by a dedicated scale builder. RCU pull in the ad revenue to buy all the high-end servo space and support it needs. RCSB has to operate on a more modest budget. Which is just fine.

So it's all a matter of what you prefer. I've just been looking at Don's AVRO thread on RCSB and yes it's slow compared with RCU. Still, I'll give it a try with a test thread on my Snipe and if that goes well, then maybe that would be the best place for my Albstros CI build.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:00 AM
puff daddy

Soooooooo, What you are saying is. It's all about quantity, not quality. Yes there are more posts per page here. But for what? On most of the threads here, you have to waid through 15 posts to get to one that has any relavence.
Most of the quality threads regarding scale building on this site are spin off's of someone's thread on RCSB.
As far as the speed. As any racer will tell you. Speed is cubic dollars. We simply do not have the income of this site and never will based on the size of the comunity, that are truly into scale.

As Technology advances in the internet world. It will naturaly get a little faster. But since we operate off of one server as opposed to the server farm this site has. It will never be as fast, period.
But life is full of trade off's isn't it.
I'll take quality over quantity any day of the week.
Now you'll have to excuse me. Must go see what Nigel Tarvin is up to with his Savoia, Phil Clark is up to with his Skyraider, Merlyn Graves is up to with his Focker G1, etc, etc, etc.
Threads you will never see on this site.
Randy.
PS, If you don'thave the patience to wait for a page to load. You probably don't have the patience to build a scale plane.
Peace out.[8D]
Also me and my wife have a game of pong scheduled at 10:00 am. Have to hook up the Atari to the TV.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:26 AM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

of course I understand all that Abu, I too being an Admin
there as is Randy above.

but alan's post about the server, and organization to me is
a slap in the face of what Mike C has done with that site.

it started out as a "hobby" site, and has grown in to one of the
best scale sites out there. we will never be an RCU, they already
have that covered.

but, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. but until one walks
in ones shoes, they dont really know how the shoe fits.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:34 AM
puff daddy

Here's a pic of Todd's shoes. Man, I would hate to walk in those things. Nice leg's however.

Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2009, 10:39 AM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey, RCSB has some of the nicest members there along with the great input for anyone who wants to learn and get great detail advice.
as for the speed of the site?....patience is a virtue right, as is scale building.
i'm just glad that some of the top scale guys from there take the time to post here.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:40 AM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: puff daddy

Here's a pic of Todd's shoes. Man, I would hate to walk in those things. Nice leg's however.

fishnet stockings would be a nice detail touch i think
Old 03-01-2009, 11:29 AM
MikeChilson
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: abufletcher

ORIGINAL: t_burley
It's not a matter or suck or not suck. It's a matter of relative advantages. RCSB offers a wonderful community of very dedicated and very skilled scale modelers. That to me is the biggest draw. There are great modelers here on RCU (and particularly on the Scale Forum, which is really the primary place I hang out) and there great modelers on RC Groups (and tons of great modelers on various non-English European forums). But RCSB probably offers the greatest density of serious scale modelers of any forum. But it's also (almost by definition) a smaller community. RCU is a much larger community (for example, my Snipe thread has had over 90,000 hits) but we're a broader group and people here are more into "sport scale" modeling. Each forum community also has its own culture.

In terms of the interface, RCU is head and shoulders above RCSB. That's just a fact. RCU is a commercial enterprise (with the ads to prove it). RCSB is a wonderful site run and maintained by a dedicated scale builder. RCU pull in the ad revenue to buy all the high-end servo space and support it needs. RCSB has to operate on a more modest budget. Which is just fine.

So it's all a matter of what you prefer. I've just been looking at Don's AVRO thread on RCSB and yes it's slow compared with RCU. Still, I'll give it a try with a test thread on my Snipe and if that goes well, then maybe that would be the best place for my Albstros CI build.
Abu,

You are spot on. Comparing RCU & RCSB is like comparing apples and oranges. They cater to two different audiences. If anyone who thinks otherwise would have bothered to read the "About Us" they might understand this. RCSB never will be a 100% vendor supported site. The reason I started the site was to get away from all the ads on a page (as you will see they are minimal on our site), the "filler" and "focus" on scale building. We do not want 5000 post of "chit chat" in out threads, we don't want to bash vendors or talk about politics, or religion. We want to talk about scale building. Also, RCSB is not a commercial web site, it is a community supported endeavor. As far as the image uploading being different we choose a in-line image format there as opposed to a thumbnail format like here. This allows a much better narrative when explaining detailed work. RCSB is not for everyone but if you SERIOUS about scale building then it's probably the place for you.

And for those others that feel compelled to let me know what an expert they are in web management and design and who are not happy with the way we do things, or speed or design, guess what... You don't have to come there. It always amazes me how folks feel compelled to TELL ME what I am doing wrong when they have ZERO knowledge of the subject. My suggestion is start your own community site and walk in the shoes of someone managing one of these sites before you start shooting off at the mouth. Oh well, guess that is just human nature.

Oh, BTW, Abu, thank you again for becoming a site supporter. It is greatly appreciated. Also,the optimal size for posting images is 640 x 480 x 72dpi.. Seems to fit the pages well and doesn't cause a lot of side scrolling when viewing.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:44 AM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: MikeChilson
Also,the optimal size for posting images is 640 x 480 x 72dpi.. Seems to fit the pages well and doesn't cause a lot of side scrolling when viewing.
Thanks for this information. My usual format for construction pix is 800x600 (at 150ppi). This allows me reasonable print quality as well if I find I later have some other use for the photo. I think the RCU software automatically converts this to 72ppi. I'll have to look at more of the RCSB threads to see the different ways that people use photos. It's not unusual for me to post 5-8 photos within the same post. I doubt I would do this with the "inline" format.

BTW, just to be fair, a great number of the comments in many RCSB threads consist of little more that "wow!" type compliments. Also many of the builds have a "blog" quality were you get the feeling that discussion is not particularly welcome, whereas, I often post problems with my builds and welcome the discussion, suggestions, criticisms, etc. that ensue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.