Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Locked out

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 10:58 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Locked out

Who was locked out during the alternate universe? I saw only about 400 could log in to the forums with 35000 trying to. With all who have seen the future, what do you all think?
Old 03-06-2009, 11:38 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Locked out

not sure............other formats like the one they just tried to implement allow background color changes and a few other features.
was wierd though in that they did not mention that the change was coming.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:50 PM
TooLow
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "new" format looks nice, but if it loads like it was, people will bail like crazy. I had to check my modem to see if i was back on dial-up. once the bugs are worked out I think it will be ok. Change is good?[:@]
Old 03-06-2009, 11:51 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If what I saw was any indication of the future of RCU I was not impressed. However, the finished product could be entirely different than what I just experienced. Time will tell.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:01 AM
BadSplice
My Feedback: (1)

Personally I really hope they stick with this forum rather than that other one. I Much prefer the look and function of this forum. What features doesn't it have that it really needs? (and why not just add them instead of dumping this and starting over) I hope they at least put it to a vote so that a lot of people don't end up without a site that they liked so a few can have something different. I'm willing to concede that perhaps I'm in the minority, and most people would prefer a change here. I guess I just hope not.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:35 AM
Props4ever

I was locked out, i couldn't even get RCU to show up on my screen, it took so long that it timed even after 3 tries!, i thought server crashed or something else happen all of sudden. There were no notices of any type saying anything about upgrades or changes to formats anywhere on the site.

I thought it was my PC at first but now i can see 3/4 of the membership suffered from it also, now i'm ok. RCU Admin should post some notices in advance by couple of days at least before they do maintenance or formal changes to the membership...
Old 03-07-2009, 04:37 AM
abufletcher

Switching over to new forum software is always dramatic and there is always screaming and hair-pulling. And yes there are also always lots of temporary technical glitches. But the thing is that I've seen that forum software (or something almost exactly like it) elsewhere and didn't like there either. These are not issues that go away but rather are build into the software. If RCU does decide to make the switch, I for one definitely won't post future builds here. Strictly in terms of the software, I would prefer either RC Groups or RCSB. I might still come here to post "one off" sorts of things but not extended builds.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:22 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

I wasnt locked out, maybe allowed to be a beta tester or so, but the new site was real bugy. I can deal with format changes over time. But this was a navigation problem and some things didnt work consistent enough to tell whether it was good or bad. I have no problems with improvements even if I dont use them. Mark is on top of it.
Edwin
Old 03-07-2009, 07:36 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was not locked out, but I didn't like the new format either. If a clock is keeping time, why fool with it?

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 03-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Mode One

I am absultly sick of everything changing! It used to be that the only things sure in life was death and taxes, now it is death taxes and change! Change for change's sake is STUPID!!!!! It is not efficient, it is costly, it is not necessarily better and it is driving us older folks TOTALLY BERSERK!

If I haven't made myself clear on my thoughts about this, PM me and we can have a little chat!
Old 03-07-2009, 10:11 AM
Edwin

I did several msgs to Mark last night. In a nutshell. What rcu has here is great, dont screw up a good thing. A few improvements wouldnt bother me, like having the search routine take you to the post instead of reading a 350 page thread for that one piece of info I need and spell checker. Navigation was a nightmare last night. Pointers seemed to randomly point all over the place. Im probably exagerating a bit. But it sure felt like it.
Edwin
Old 03-07-2009, 10:32 AM
TFF

Someone probably thinks that if they change it up they can get more new people to use RCU so they will make more with advertising. The problem with that is the group of RCers stays constant. The population is not an expanding group; new and improved does not work as well. It will work ok when they get it done, but because they have spawned competitors the hardcore will go to a more boutique site that listens.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:34 AM
xb36

I too was locked out. I cleared my IE cache, history, and rebooted my pc in an effort to identify the problem. Eventually I came to the conclusion that some sections of the site were offline. I could get in to the sponsors section but I couldn't get in to any forums.

I hesitate to complain but I must agree with a few previous comments.

- What functionality is missing from the current RCU? I do like it the way it is. Perhaps I have just gotten accustomed to the current layout.

- RCU has a good thing going. It appears to be the most visited RC website. Will changing RCU increase or decrease attendance?

- Perhaps there are still bugs to fix in the version we experienced yesterday. Usually there is ample testing done prior to releasing or implementing a new software version. But I must admit that I have no idea how large or small the IT staff is at RCU. Perhaps it is unfair to hold a 2 man crew (part time or full time?) to the standards of a large IT organization. And let's not forget that it's free to us.

- The performance of the current version of RCU has been quite good and I don't think I have ever seen the site go offline. With that in mind I tend to consider: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

That's my 2 cents worth.....

Mike Roerig
[email protected]
Old 03-07-2009, 11:11 AM
jbdismukes

I think xb36 summed it up quite well. Mode 1, I too am of an age that needless change drives me "postal".

Jack Dismukes
[email protected]
Old 03-07-2009, 11:14 AM
abufletcher

You don't have to be "of an age" to be annoyed by pointless change, particularly when that change is for the worse.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:40 PM
CloudSkipper

I don't normally post in the scale build forum, but just wanted to say I too think that the RCU forum engine should not be changed to something different. For example one of best features in the current system is the image attachments. Given that they have the server space to keep hosting those, it would be unfortunate to change to something that doesn't facilitate attachments the way they work currently. I'm sure that people in the build forum in particular can relate to that.

I've seen suggestions to improve the search function, but I'm sure that can be changed in the current system.

In general, this forum has a clean look to it and works well AFAIK. I like it. Let's keep it.

Cheers
Old 03-07-2009, 08:29 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I was "semi locked out". I could log on, and the home page recognized me as a member, but when I went to the forums, it said I was a guest, and I couldn't post. Sort of like standing out in the cold, looking in through the window, and wanting to come in, but the door was locked.

I , too will think hard about posting a build using the new format. From what little navigation I was allowed as a "guest", I didn't care for it.

RCU guys, don't fix what ain't broke.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:38 PM
CoosBayLumber

My reaction was similar to Hodges....

'cept it said I had a Model Boating interest, and thus could only go to the Model Boat pages. No where else.

I haven't put a boat into the water in twenty years now.

Wm.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Edwin

One thing for sure, I made a list of my forums. I had to enter it 3 or 4 times and I dont really think it took. I understand the need for an OS update, but the navigation and format are pretty much right on now. Would like to see the same layout in the new OS.
Edwin
Old 03-07-2009, 08:56 PM
summerwind

i forgot to ask, do we pay to use this site?
Old 03-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Edwin

Nope, I would think the number of hits rcu gets determines the ad rates.
Edwin
Old 03-07-2009, 09:54 PM
BadSplice

ORIGINAL: summerwind

i forgot to ask, do we pay to use this site?
No, but the site can only exist if enough people like it enough to want to use it. I can guarantee that if it changes to that new format, I will be looking elsewhere. If I want something to be all different, I go somewhere else. If I like this, and its familiar and comforting, I will stay here.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:16 PM
summerwind

good reply from Marc in this thread,

read post #8,
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8552520/tm.htm

thing is, no one was on the new format to really know if it was better or worse.
just my opinion, but i have seen these changes on all the photography sites i use and the verdict is the same as here at first...........but in the end, all the players stay.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:28 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

First off , why the change , If anything improve the ability to download pics in one post .If you try to post more then 4 the system times out , yet in smaller rc sites you can downlaod over 6 to 8 pics
Old 03-07-2009, 10:47 PM
mvigod
Banned

The new forum did some of the things you guys are asking for. Alot of people commented on this brief rollout that lasted just a couple hours. Everyone says don't change it "but" can you add this or that. Those this or thats are the features the new upgrade had. It was just an ugprade from our 2.x version to the latest 3.x version. With that came some great features and better usability. Nothing seems more "usable" when you have a small learning curve on it though until the curve passes at which point it is easy again.

As far as the lockout. That was a HUGE blunder by me. I failed to push a critical login file on rollout by mistake. The file I was supposed to push had the same name but ended in an "s" and that small blunder caused all the login issues. Once that was solved people were getting on but I had other performance issues reported by a subset of users and some broken image issues from a complex load balancer configuration which I believe had something slightly off.

This rollout was to make for a better user experience for the users. Nobody can really judge it until they see it performing as it is supposed to and not in its broken state. Also you need more then a a few minutes or hour to see all the deeper functionality the new software affords.

Because of the performance which is my #1 priority always (I need speed and compatibility on my apps) we are delaying any rollout and exploring adding some of the features from the new forum and custom coding them into this.

People above talk about motivation. It is very simple. We are owners, programmers AND most importantly users of this site. We are RC'ers like you. We want the best there is for everyone. I am sure you realize that we would not do anything to harm the site or lead our users to not want to enjoy the site. With that in mind you can either trust that the minds that built what you have and love today will get it right and make your RC home the best here. We may not get it right immediately or perfect but those who have been here for 5 or 10 years know that we are a moving target always and we want to push the site forward to keep up.

A long time ago they said the horse and buggy wasn't broken so don't fix it. Now we have cars. A long time ago they said candles were just fine and no need to change. Now we have lightbulbs. RCU does not want to become a horse and buggy and be left behind and leave our users wondering what happened. Were newspapers broken? No but as many know they are now going out of business. The internet came along and those that adapted and changed will emerge while those who said let's just stick with what we have are going away FAST. Somebody wise once said if you aren't moving forward, you are moving backward.

Let's just keep all this in mind and I assure everyone we won't do anything that is not for the best interest of the sites users. Sometimes it may not seem that way to you immediately but quickly it will become apparent. When it turns out that something isn't in the best interest just the same we also move quickly to fix it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.