Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Building the original Byron P-51 Mustang

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Building the original Byron P-51 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 04:33 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Building the original Byron P-51 Mustang

Now it is time for the elevators. These pictures show the hinge covers installed and the holes drilled for the pin hinges. The rudder post has been temporarily removed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55886.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1896535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65434.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1896536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50051.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1896537  
Old 06-30-2013, 04:44 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

The elevator horn assembly was not in my kit nor were the hinges and aluminum tubes. So I had to make this control assembly by hand. I used some heavy duty landing gear wire and put it in a vice and SLOWLY bent it untill it was the size and shape I wanted. This baby is really strong and will not bend! The control horns on it were from an old kit and are the front steering arms. I cut one side of them off and replace the grub screw with a bolt so it would be easier to adjust and tighten when it is inside the fuselage.

Name:	Lj21412.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	1896538  
Old 06-30-2013, 04:55 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Aluminum tubing cut into 2" pieces for the elevator and rudder hinges.

Name:	Wu60325.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1896539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53574.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	1896540  
Old 06-30-2013, 05:01 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

I had to cut 12 of these. For the hinges around the control horns, I used one size larger. I wanted more strength and ridgidity.

Name:	Ge94395.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	1896541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt59865.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1896542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89615.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	1896543  
Old 06-30-2013, 05:05 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

The hinges are made from 5/32" x 2" aluminum tubing and a robart pin hinge. The hinge is slid into the tubing and then the tubing is crimped. For the two hinges on the inboard sides of the elevator, I wanted more strength there so I used the larger robart hinges set into 7/32" x 2" tubing. Here is a couple of pics showing them temporarily installed in the elevators.

Name:	Cz79650.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1896544   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66763.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	1896545   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86087.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	1896546  
Old 06-30-2013, 05:10 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions feel free to chime in or at least say Hi! I am documenting all of this for the "other guy" that wants to build one of these. It has taken alot of time so far in this build, doesn't seem like it to people just reading these posts because it only took me a couple of days to upload them. But I have been compiling these videos and pictures for a couple of months now. I am glad I have done this. If it helps one person, it was worth it!
Old 06-30-2013, 05:13 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

I know many of people who have lost Byron models due to hinges wearing out the foam. I would highly suggest replacing your aluminum tube idea and replacing a section of the foam with a balsa block that is drilled for the hinges.

The plastic steering arms could also prove problematic. I'd suggest replacing it with a piece of thick (.090" brass) that is silver soldered to the steel rod. Done properly this is a strong, slop free linkage setup. I believe your current setup will develop allot of slop over time (or break) if speeds average to high.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:33 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Hey Tom, I have been watching your videos on you tube for a couple of years now, I really enjoy them. Good job on that Tomcat and others that you have built. I will take your advice into serious consideration, I was thinking the same about the control horns. In order to do that fix, I would have to completely build another set. how about grinding the front edge of the steel where the grub screw meets and puting a buch of jb weld around and inside the joint and then tighten that sucker down using some permanent thread lock? The max speed of this plane is only about 80mph. It has the reduction drive system in it.
Over the years though I have read alot of posts for others that claim that these hinges really work well if intalled by the directions and will not come out. This is the first time I have heard of that. One guy that is a rc p-51 guru and really likes the byron line stated that to a few guys here on rcu. I can't remember his name but hopefully he is reading this and can chime in. I may just install another strip of 1/8" ply over the hinge attatchment points on the horzontal stab and glass inside of there when I glass the stabs and elevators. I too am a bit worried about that design. I haven't glued all of this together yet so it can still be tweeked lol.
Oh, btw, thanks for the glassing tips too. I haven't posted pics or vids here yet on my glassing job but I have the videos of it. The wing is glassed now, I just have to edit the vids of the process and will do so this week. These are going to be BORING videos but will give alot of info to those who haven't glassed over foam. Between you and B-1 Bob, I have learned alot when it comes to glassing. Over foam it was certainly different, it sucked it up like a sponge!
Thanks for the advice, I could certainly use more - I'm no expert lol!
Old 06-30-2013, 05:46 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Like I just said, I have the wing glassed already and some of the light bondo work is done. I have my primer (urethane) but I have to get the gear doors constructed before I finish it. I couldn't stand it, I don't know if any of you guys do this or not but I just had to do a mock assembly to see how it looks put together. Here are some pics. the rudder at this point is just taped on and I am using a bottle of ca kicker to hold the tail up lol.
Look at that canopy! It is all yellow with age. I tried some mirror glaze and that new turtle wax scrub for tail light and head light oxidization and it got all of the scratches out but none of the yellow/brown. Also, just waxing and handling it caused a few cracks around the edges to form. It has lost a bit of it's elasticity so I am on the hunt for a new one. I posted a wanted add here and on that other site RCG for it and a used or new cockpit kit. And I have a line on a new canopy. The guy that makes them does a REALLY nice job. I cannot put the servos in the plane until I have the cockpit kit here for measurement. The servo deck on these byrons have got to be cut out and re-installed lower so that the kit can set in there. If you look at the deck in front of the canopy there is a big dent. That was cause by sitting in a garage for 30 years with another piece of it resting against it. It had another one under the fuse about the same size and I added heat to it and it just popped out. I will have to do the same to the one in the front.
I still cannot believe how straight it turned out. I just kept saying to myself to build slow, meticulas and neat. It is paying off.

Hey Scott M,
If you are still out there, thanks for everything - not too many stand up guys like you around anymore! For those who don't know, Scott graciously GAVE me the retracts for this bird!

Name:	Ig11998.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1896559   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74431.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1896560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19789.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1896561  
Old 07-01-2013, 04:59 AM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking good so far. I like the idea with the tubing and robart hinges. I've a couple of builds where I wished the hinges were longer. Such a simple solution.

"I don't know if any of you guys do this or not but I just had to do a mock assembly to see how it looks put together."

I believe I can say with confidence that every "true" builder has done a mock-up during the build.

Iron Bay Models may have a canopy for your bird.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:14 AM
HUNTERANDJEFF

when I pulled the motor, I made a video of the numbers on the case and how much the unit weighs.
this is a bit interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3-t3fOY_YY
Old 07-01-2013, 06:44 AM
Scott McCrory

Hey Jeff, I'm still here and following your build! Great to see you back at this classic bird! Looks like you've made some great progress the last couple of months. Byron was never known for detailed instructions and left a lot of decisions up to the builder (as you're finding out). At least with the newer plug in wing version they included several sheets of drawings!

I've done the same thing as you and re-started a project that got pushed to the back burner for several years - a FW TA-152 from RCM plans. It's 1/6 scale, 94" span. I've got it primed and the panel lines on, just need to add the rivets and she will be ready for paint. My goal is to maiden it late summer/early fall.

Keep the updates and videos coming! Just have to watch a couple more vids on your YouTube channel.

Scott
Old 07-01-2013, 07:03 AM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Thanks Scott, it is really good hearing from ya. Could you pm me your email address? I had a computer crash a couple of years ago and lost all of my info. That is why I haven't emailed you. Anyway, I am not giving up on her now, I am just too close to completion, all of the dirty, crappy work is done and the fun parts begin for me.
Good luck on your build, I look forward to seeing some pics of your build too!
I am uploading more vids now as we speak!
Old 07-01-2013, 03:09 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

ORIGINAL: HUNTERANDJEFF

when I pulled the motor, I made a video of the numbers on the case and how much the unit weighs.
this is a bit interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3-t3fOY_YY
So, does anyone out there know what these numbers mean and what cc this engine might be?
Old 07-01-2013, 05:01 PM
invertmast

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Jeff,
I believe the engine is a Quadra 42. As far as the elevator linkage, i would just build up a new one. I dont like relying on a set screw sittin on a small flat to hold, especially on something as important as ye elevator.

As far as glassing foam. Taking some lightweight dry spackle and mixing some water in it to make a runny mixture, then spreading that over the foam helps seal up some of the voids on the surface of the foam so it absorbs less resin.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:12 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

ORIGINAL: invertmast

Jeff,
I believe the engine is a Quadra 42. As far as the elevator linkage, i would just build up a new one. I dont like relying on a set screw sittin on a small flat to hold, especially on something as important as ye elevator.

As far as glassing foam. Taking some lightweight dry spackle and mixing some water in it to make a runny mixture, then spreading that over the foam helps seal up some of the voids on the surface of the foam so it absorbs less resin.
Oh sheeze, now you tell me LOL! I have heard of mixing that stuff with duram's rock hard putty and adding water but not just adding water. I will definately have to try that sometime I can try it on my elevators and stabs still.
If my engine is a 42 I will keep it on there. If it is a 35, it is coming off, being sent away to make it ei and will go on a smaller 3d plane. Thanks for the info - keep em coming
Old 07-01-2013, 05:19 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

It is almost time to start thinking about paint. I already have my paint scheme in mind and have the graphics for it. There are very few people know what scheme I chose and if you are one of them please don't tell yet. Give me untill I actually start painting All I can say is that the fuselage is POLISHED aluminum. I don't really want to use flitemetal but I am at a standstill on this one. There is a reason for not wanting to do the flightmetal.
I am looking into the new chrome paints by Alsacorp.com and Innate.com. The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger is because I have heard that when it is done, the chrome paint can peel off. I don't really want to take that risk. Anyone out there ever used that stuff? Alsa corp would cost me at least 400 bucks to do my plane. WAY over my budget!
Old 07-01-2013, 09:45 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Scott McCrory

Hey Jeff, I'm still here and following your build! Great to see you back at this classic bird! Looks like you've made some great progress the last couple of months. Byron was never known for detailed instructions and left a lot of decisions up to the builder (as you're finding out). At least with the newer plug in wing version they included several sheets of drawings!

I've done the same thing as you and re-started a project that got pushed to the back burner for several years - a FW TA-152 from RCM plans. It's 1/6 scale, 94'' span. I've got it primed and the panel lines on, just need to add the rivets and she will be ready for paint. My goal is to maiden it late summer/early fall.

Keep the updates and videos coming! Just have to watch a couple more vids on your YouTube channel.

Scott
I am currently building the 1/5th scale TA 152. What a project. I am hoping to have it done by next summer. Would love to see some pics of your project.

The Mustang looks great. I saw one of the Byro drives run last summer at the warbirds over the Rockies. It had a very interesting sound.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:57 AM
willig10

Any progress?
Old 01-17-2015, 07:53 PM
luciuswillson

how's the plane looking?
Old 01-29-2015, 01:12 PM
luciuswillson

I would really like to know how this plane ended up.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:49 PM
dmeyer

I am new to RC Universe. About a year ago I received a Byrons P51 that is a little later vintage than yours, still in the box but lots of rash in the foam. I am curious whether you finished yours and what you used for the engine.

I am assembling the tail assembly now and shortly will be binding the two halves of the fuse. It is a lot of work building it. I have been on it part time for months and am only to the tail.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:38 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

keep at it, you will have a one of a kind Mustang when completed.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:08 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Quick update!
I am back at it! Just finished glassing the horizontal stabs and elevators. They were much harder to do than the wing, I don't know why but they just were. I am hoping to finish it this year if I don't get burned out on it again
Old 01-30-2017, 10:13 AM
maddog-RCU

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Jeff,

Glad you are back on the project; don't feel bad I have been working on mine for about 15 years; someday soon it will be done; either before I retire or shortly there after.

maddog

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.