Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Making and applying vinyl decals?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Making and applying vinyl decals?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Making and applying vinyl decals?

I finished a sport scale GP P-51 several months back, and ever since then I've been planning on adding some minor graphics. Nothing fancy, just the ID numbers on the tail and fuselage mainly. I bought a decal set for a 1/48th scale model for the airplane I was duplicating, and used a photocopier to blow the decals up to the proper size. The next issue is how do I transfer them to a decal? I bought some Monokote trim sheet (just vinyl trim, right?) and planned on tracing the copied letters with a blade to cut out the decals. It seems straight forward, but I'm starting to think though that doing this will make it very difficult to line everything up when I put it on the airplane since I'll be applying each number/letter individually. Is there a better way to do this?

The next option is to just take the sheets I have to a sign shop and pay them to cut out the vinyl complete with a backing sheet, so I can put all of the pieces down at once.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:08 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts
Default RE: Making and applying vinyl decals?

I take the coward's way out, I have a small local sign company that makes vinyl lettering do them for me. The are reasonable and I don't have to provide much usually a computer file or a sample.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:46 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is how I apply mine numbers and such. You take a piece of masking tape and apply it to your fuselage. The top edge of the tape would be the straight edge for the bottom of your numbers. You would need to make sure that your masking tape is straight and located exactly where you want your numbers. The next items you will need are some Windex, paper towel and a piece of balsa scrap with a nice straight edge on it. You will then spray some Windex on the fuselage, apply your first letter and position it so the bottom of the letter is square on the top of the tape. Make sure that your letter is straight up and down. Take your paper towel and soak up all the left over Windex. Now take your scrap balsa and carefully squegy out the Windex from under the letter. Once you have gotten all the Windex out from under the letter, clean up the area again with your paper towel. You can now move onto the next number or letter. This process allows you to adjust your letters and numbers as needed. Once you have all of them on, let them dry over night and they are then permanent. Good Luck, Dave
Old 03-27-2009, 05:42 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave, I do this for a living and your right on spot. One suggestion though use low tack tape as it is much easier to remove. If your using professionaly cut letters with premask on them it sometimes is better to remove the masking after the Windex evaporates which it will do through premask. This method produces graphics with litte to no bubbles or foregin objects under the graphic. Great Information and thanks for sharing.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:48 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cobra99,

Please visit this Thread I started.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_84...tm.htm#8462647

If you still have difficulty, send me a PM and I'll make the stuff for you.

OK? OK!

Charles

Old 03-31-2009, 01:45 PM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Cool thread Charles!

Since I already have the vinyl and had already started cutting decals, I used the method Dave mentioned and it seems to be working well. I suppose if one can just buy that transfer paper that would have been easier than trying to position so many letters/numbers on the same line, but it's working out okay. Actually I'm really happy with how one side of the fuselage has turned out. Going to do the other side in the next week or so and I'll try to get some pics for you guys. Just for reference, here's a couple of "before" shots.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57320.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1169919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26025.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	1169920  
Old 04-01-2009, 01:16 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Signwarehouse.com has the application tape

You can also use masking tape but the clear application tape is the ticket for getting position correct.