Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Who's the Best Scale Modeller?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Who's the Best Scale Modeller?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 12:31 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Who's the Best Scale Modeller?

I suppose it's all in one's point of view. I put less value on the flying of scale models and more on the building. Flying is still important and I honestly have no interest whatsoever in static modeling (did that as a kid). And building and then handing the model over to someone else is basically the same thing. I build because I love the old planes, not necessarily because I love to fly (and I don't really have any desire to learn to pilot a full-scale aircraft). But give me a chance to lash myself to the struts of that FE2b replica in NZ in flight and, man, I'd be all over that!
Old 05-20-2009, 02:49 AM
JET FX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"In the world" ??? Luthi Andreas thats pretty obvious.....

http://www.scalemodel2008wch.w3wl.pl...ndivid_f4c.pdf
20th FAI World Championships For Scale Model Aircraft Wloclawek 2008 Poland
Old 05-20-2009, 05:52 AM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Indeed!Except, the original question is somewhat confusing: Who's the best scale modeller?In which case the doors are now open to the non-flying model engineers that reproduce exact miniture versions of Sports cars, Merlin engines, complete Spitfires, functioning Locomotives etc etc. that tend to make our balsa renditions look rather, well... model like.Then... there are some out there that believe RC scale Aircraft Modelling is about building, the flying being kinda secondary and not important.... Hummm. Which make me wonder why they want to build RC aircraft.Then there's the guy's that don't buy F4C (to European... or to many rules) and instead hang out at the Topgun type, sugar and candy scale events. Or don't even hang out at scale events at all. Kinda like scary closet Andreas Luthi's... without the finer details, or indeed flying skills. All to complex.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:15 AM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: David Bathe
Then... there are some out there that believe RC scale Aircraft Modelling is about building, the flying being kinda secondary and not important.... Hummm. Which make me wonder why they want to build RC aircraft.
I think it's entirely obvious that every single one of the top F4C competitors cares more about the building than the flying. This doesn't mean that they are not outstanding pilots as well, but a guy like Peter McDurmott is obviously in love with building and only secondarily in love with flying his creation.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:52 AM
abufletcher

Here's an example (taken from the gallery of the F4C link above) showing the degree of scale detailing of the top models there. I don't know if this is Pete's Snipe or another but the level of scale fidelity is simply stunning and I don't remember seeing this level of detailing in the coverage of USscale events. Maybe the Europeans are just better photographers!

This is what I aspire to (in my closeted sort of way) in my own scale modeling. I don't think I'll ever get there, but this is what draws me to scale RC modeling.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77836.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1202351  
Old 05-20-2009, 08:22 AM
cocobear
My Feedback: (2)

".Then there's the guy's that don't buy F4C (to European... or to many rules) and instead hang out at the Topgun type, sugar and candy scale events. " Let's see your model Ace. BTW, check back a couple years and see how FAI ace, Mick Reeves liked the candy.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:43 AM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

See my scale models? Nothing would disinterest me more than spending hours building one, never mind flying it... that's no to distract from my admiration of people that do. An admiration that's lasted well over 30 years.
No, I'm nothing more than a social scale commentator. A position that allows me to observe and respond without personalprejudiceor indeed, a peculiar patriotic knee jerking response.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:38 PM
cocobear
My Feedback: (2)

Nothing patriotic involved. Maybe you should consider attending an event prior to imparting your"wisdom"?  What else that you don't do are you an expert at?
Old 05-20-2009, 12:45 PM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: David Bathe

See my scale models? Nothing would disinterest me more than spending hours building one, never mind flying it... that's no to distract from my admiration of people that do. An admiration that's lasted well over 30 years.
No, I'm nothing more than a social scale commentator. A position that allows me to observe and respond without personalprejudiceor indeed, a peculiar patriotic knee jerking response.

As you posted once before: Wow, just wow.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:50 AM
dorjes
My Feedback: (19)

+1 re:Cocobear - in addition to Mick Reeves , you might check with Richard Crapp, Ithink he was fairly impressed with the candy coated Top Gun experience. Maybe it was a break from serious scale modeling. <G>

Dorin Luck
Old 05-21-2009, 11:58 AM
abufletcher

Still, I don't know what it is, but I always find myself more impressed by the photos from the F4C championship. Like David, I see something different happening at the European scale events (as covered in the hobby press). Maybe it's the wider diversity of models. It always seems like the same 20 or so aircraft at TopGun.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:05 PM
semeraro

I have never been to the world championships but I have been to top gun and the scalemasters meets ( as a spectator). Idont understand what you guys mean by candy coated in regards to top gun and other meets. Is it that there are fun scale classes at other meets and f4c is purely precision scale or is it something else? Ithink the top end models at top gun compare favorably with the pictures Ihave seen from Poland. But again Ihave not seen an f4c winner up close.

Idont think we can crown a best scale modeler. There are so many great ones among the famous and not famous. Every generation has its greats just like in sports and trying to compare over time is impossible. About all Iknow for sure is that if there is a best scale modeler its not me . Seeing the work of the greats does inspire us to achieve more in our hobby. Idont think it would be very interesting if we could build perfect airplanes all the time. Although once in a while would be nice .

I would also like to say that I agree with abu on the diversity of models in the european scene. Ithink they model from a different pool of airplanes than we do. And Ilike it alot. It inspires me to diversify. Again, no first had experience, just what Iread and see on the web and in FSM.

Cheers,
Dave Semeraro
Old 05-21-2009, 05:27 PM
TFF

If you compete you build for the kind of rules you use. FAI and AMA (Scale Masters and Top Gun are derivatives of AMA) are different like Formula 1 and Indy car racing; they look a lot alike but neither one would win if it crossed over.  The Europeans use the FAI rules as a base for their countries rules where here we have our rules and then try to fit our planes into FAI when the time comes.  It is also the debate of which is better pro sports or the Olympics.  It is not the modelers it is the arena.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Mein Duff

tI's great to see all this interest in who's the world's best modeller. I have competed against the worlds Nr. 1 Andreas Luthi and at the time, Nr. 2 Hans Amman (both Swiss pilots/builders). Andreas was also F3A champ for many years before turning his sights to F4C scale.

It would be very hard to choose who is the supreme builder because of subjective feelings and bias for certain types of aircraft and eras.

That is why we have the FAI and F4C world championships every two years. The time and money dedication of these pilots to build, fly and transport these incredible models around the world for nothing more than prestige in humbling.

As mentioned in the threads, flying is an equally weighed component of scale competitions, "we don't want no hangar queens" .

As for honoring the pure spirit of building and flying and commitment to our craft  I would have to say Peter McDermott stands above the rest. This man continually honors the men and ultimate sacrifice of the great war with his incredible models, unafraid of any technical challenge along the way ,building model after model to impeccable degrees with excellent weathering techniques...it's all about the "patina" in modeling...how do you get it?

Just my two cents

Old 05-22-2009, 12:59 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: cocobear

Nothing patriotic involved. Maybe you should consider attending an event prior to imparting your"wisdom"? What else that you don't do are you an expert at?

Dave,

I agree 100% with your statement/question.

Bill.

The balance of this post is addressed to other posting members

On that note, please allow me to make some observations, with just a little touch of expertise on the issue at hand.

The expertise comes from being a multi-year Scale Outline Judge for Top Gun, functioning in the Team Scale classification. This alone takes me just a little outside experience level of the mainstream observer.

What most of you fail to realize is that we do not judge, using a subjective format for judging the model. Subjectivity would come from what you like, or what you Think you knowabout a particular airplane. What we do is very objective in the judging of that particular model. The objectivity comes from the builder of the model supplying us with the documentation that we require to prove that the builder accurately replicated the full scale airplane that he/she modeled.

We require an accepted set of 3 views for the basic airframe, and photographic evidence that would prove any exceptions to the 3 views. That is how we make an objective judgement of the model presented.

It is grossly unfair for anyone to claim that a particular model does not score well, since it may not be a model that is a judges favorite. Case in point: I am not particularly fond of the F-16, nor am I a huge fan of the Tupelov Tu-95. Both these models outscored my personal favorite that I had on my table at Top Gun this year.

I take personal issue with the statement that events like Top Gun and Scalemasters are sugar and candy scale events. When any of you can, and/or have made the personal committment to dedicate a large portion of your life to building a scale model withthat level of quality, then come and talk to me. Until then, you have not a clue as to what you are talking about.

Judging an event such as these is truly a humbling experience. When you imagine the likes of Graeme Mears, and Mile Selby, along with others who bring you their best efforts, place them before you, and ask you to judge their work......It becomes a very humbling event. If you feel otherwise, then you have absolutely no business being a Judge at a top level competition.

I'm off my soap box now, so carry on.

Bill Hurt
Waco Brother #1
AMA 4720
Scale Modeller.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:25 AM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No doubt about it, I am, absolutely the Best scale model builder. Absolutely the Best scale model builder at "never completing a model." And I can prove it!

Is it because I do everything myself with the assistance of no one. That is, no team effort orpassing tasks out to others?

Here's my unfinished scale models. I'll bet others have some also? Let's see them!

Can you name the airplanes? Here's a hint as to what you can see and not so easily see.

Started but not completed models include:

Mystery Ship, Red Lion, Gee Bee Z's in a bunch of sizes, Gee Bee Y, Gee Bee R-1, Staudacher S300D, Ryan STA, C-101 Aviojet, BEA Hawk, Stearman, Grumman F3F-1, Sikorski S-39, Tiger Shark, scale model of a model. Did I miss anything?

Charles

Wacobro. No. 116.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62011.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	1204049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13891.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	1204050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lr39087.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	1204051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr48532.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	1204052  
Old 05-23-2009, 09:22 AM
abufletcher

Well, at least you've got good taste!
Old 05-23-2009, 09:27 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Hey Avaiojet, I am a foster parrent for homeless and unwanted rescued scale projects. Just so you know.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:35 AM
abufletcher

Yes, I think there's so serious "model abuse" going on there. So many models crammed into such a small space and not getting the love they deserve! On the other hand, maybe this is just the male equivalent of the "crazy cat lady."
Old 08-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Snoopyxupery

Gee Bee "Y"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2Hsq8zQ0NQ
Old 08-05-2009, 12:24 AM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Snoopyxupery

Gee Bee ''Y''

More like Gee Bee "Why?"

As in "why" did you decide to post that in this thread.
Must have been an eeny meeny miny mo kind of a decision.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:37 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: SDCrashmaster

ORIGINAL: Snoopyxupery

Gee Bee ''Y''

More like Gee Bee ''Why?''

As in ''why'' did you decide to post that in this thread.
Must have been an eeny meeny miny mo kind of a decision.

exactly, "why" did that post get placed. nothing to do with the thread at all.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:44 AM
abufletcher

Well, by process of elimination we can safely say that, in terms of Best Scale Modeller, Snoopyxupery's not him.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:41 PM
knormang

Why do we have to have a 1 scale modeller at all? This whole thing seems a waste of good model building time!
Old 09-01-2009, 07:55 PM
edmoor
My Feedback: (1)

the best ones dont have time to pee around on here wondering about what we are saying.....