Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

1/3 Scale Bristol F2b Fighter

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

1/3 Scale Bristol F2b Fighter

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 10:06 PM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 1/3 Scale Bristol F2b Fighter

In the area of the last vertical, there is a lot of lines due to the attachment of the variable incidence stab bracket. The last vertical upright is lined up with the forward most line. The trailing part of the fuse has a triangular peice of 1/4 ply.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:08 PM
ProfLooney

Another shot of the last vertical upright.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:10 PM
ProfLooney

Here we are looking at the Spare ammo Holder. I forgot to add this at the time of my kit cutting, but it is 1 3/8" wide made from 1/4" ply.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:12 PM
ProfLooney

And 2 shots of the rest of the side framed up.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:34 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looney, like that seat, you will be a basket case when this is done.......and I will be right here to pick up the pieces.....lol, you are da man, crazy but still the man. Love your ambition...or is it a lack of a life. Good luck and I will be watching
Old 04-29-2009, 11:15 AM
ProfLooney

I wont be posting anything today as I will just be repeating the stuff from yesterday making the other fuse side. so if anyone has any questions feel free to take this time to ask

Joe
Old 04-29-2009, 01:11 PM
ProfLooney

While Waiting for the fuse Sides to glue it is a good time to put together the Fuel Tank Holder. The top of this also can hold your engine throttle servo and also your battery pack and receiver. The bar clamps I am using are very nice and they come from Jerry Nelson at Nelson Hobbies. The fuel tank I am using in the photo is the DuBro 48 oz fuel tank.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:44 AM
maddog-RCU
My Feedback: (23)

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey Joe, any plans on getting your webcam up and running during this construction so we can peek in on you?
Old 04-30-2009, 10:29 AM
Pelle Gris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Joe.

Do you have any closeups of the hinges you use on the tailfeathers?
Old 04-30-2009, 11:37 AM
ProfLooney

not at this time maddog. I will get it up and running in time but at the moment I am framing in the shop. once I get the 2 fuse halves together and get it up to the office here to build on it then I will be able to turn cam on.

Pelle I will take some shots today. the tail feathers are alum tubing welded up by a friend and all he basically did was to weld tubing onto my tubes and used brads for pins. basically like a door hinge.

I will be spending today finishing up the second side as father in law had to goto hospital yest so I had to run before finishing. so hopefully tonight I can get sanding and trimming the sides up. tomorrow I plan on working on joining the fuse together.

joe

PS dad in laws doing good he just had some chest pains and they was wanting to check everything out as he had heart surgery not long ago and they said everythings fine.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:17 PM
Pelle Gris

Thanks Joe.

Looking forward to the close-up pictures, as I have been working on something similar for a 1:3 scale Piper Pawnee, only using stainless steel tubing for the stab/elevator and brass for the hinges. Problem is that the brass melted the instant I put the heat on for silver solding the parts together.
Will most likely be using stainless only.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:20 PM
ProfLooney

I have the photos am in middle of resizing. another thing to look at is called metl weld jerry nelson uses it and i have used it and it is strong as all get out the tubing will bend before it breaks. nice thing is its sandable too. give jerry a call he loves talking about it. should have pics up in next few mins
Old 04-30-2009, 02:28 PM
ProfLooney

First 3 pics of the Generic Seat for those not wanting to weave their own.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:34 PM
ProfLooney

Next some pics of the Tail Feathers. They are made from K & S alum tubing. there are 2 diff diameters used but the outlines are made from 1/2" tubing.

There is still wood that has to be added to them, but will wait til my metal fittings arrive and I get all the variable incidence and mounting brackets install so as not to get any hangar rash. I will attach everything with Metl Weld from Jerry nelson and then will be cleaning everything up and using som evercoar or something to smooth out some of the welds.

The first couple Pics show the Fuel Tank in place in the fuse formers to give you an idea. You will notice the sanding block on top to give some size reference for locating batteries and receiver stuff on top if one so desired that spot for those items.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:35 PM
ProfLooney

Old 04-30-2009, 02:37 PM
ProfLooney

Old 04-30-2009, 10:56 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the all metal tail! Is Metlweld the same as JB Weld?
Old 04-30-2009, 11:12 PM
ProfLooney

no abu it puts jb weld to shame. but in the respect it is a 2 part metal epoxy yes. it is made for high performance boating

http://www.systemthree.com/p_st_metlweld.asp
Old 05-02-2009, 01:45 PM
ProfLooney

Hey guys I will post more monday or tues. My boys guard unit got called up to go overseas again. this time they are going to egypt for security prob for the base while they rotate guys out. at least thats our guess. anyways been running him around helping him take care of things as not sure til wed when they leaving so taking care of it now. we just know they going for a year deployment, getting shots soon, and they doing security.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Gutaaaooo

I'll be waiting! Great photos so far, seams really nice!
Old 05-04-2009, 10:51 PM
ProfLooney

thanks for sticking with me guys I have a little running round to do tomorrow with my boy to jag for his new will then will be back building wednesday. thats when I will be putting the sides together and boxing up the fuse.

I got word today that the water jet guys had no troubles with the parts sheet so my metal fittings are being cut now and wont be long til I can get them
Old 05-07-2009, 01:34 PM
ProfLooney

Ok guys now that the sides are all built and dry, it is time to mate the sides together. The first thing you need to do is to make sure they match up. I found the best way to do this is to take some electrical tape and tape the 2 sides on top of each other before sanding them.

The reason I like electrical tape is 2 reasons. 1 it is stronger than regular tape and as such wont rip on you while you are sanding on the 2 halves. Secondly electrical tape stretches. By stretching it as you wrap it around it tends to want to shrink back to original shape, thus acting like a clamp and holding the sides together tightly.

The one thing to be sure of while you have the sides clamped together is to trim the rear of the fuse so that they match. I was able to use my 10" chop saw to shave a little off at a time until I was happy as can be seen in the third picture.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:43 PM
ProfLooney

Update the new water jet guy can do the parts. the test sheet turned out really well and they are cheaper than the photo etch guy

ORIGINAL: ProfLooney

well I will start with abu first. The fittings we are trying to figure out what we are going to do with them. normally would do photo etching. but there are a couple guys that said they could do it with water jet etc. so far the water jet and plasma jet guys couldnt do the fittings with good enough quality. we have 1 more guy says he can do it and if it doesnt work will just go with photo etching. anyways heres my metal parts sheet

Old 05-07-2009, 04:49 PM
ProfLooney

I decided to start by making my hatch cover. Since I already had my side view on the board I just used the former lines on the side view to line up my formers. The bottom rails are made up from 1/4 x 3/8 balsa. I thought I had some on hand but was out so am using like 5/16 x 1/2 and will just sand down. Next I will add my 1/4 sq. stringers and sheet with 3/32 Balsa.

Since the top of the bottom half of the nose section is flat. while we have everything going here we can frame it upside down over the plans and sheet it also. there are 1/2" hardwood spars that run through all the formers and the rear of the nose section glues to the front former of the fuse so that is why we can do it all now.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:59 PM
ProfLooney

Here is lower section of nose. as you can see it will have to be strip planked for a bit of it. But out of thick ca and kicker for tacking my strips in place til the order arrives monday. so I will be starting joining the fuse halves like I was originally going to do

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.