Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

The Rote Baron movie

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

The Rote Baron movie

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 07:21 AM
Mode One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Rote Baron movie

Any news release or DVD availability on the above movie, done in Europe in 2008? Is it ever going to come to the USA?
Old 04-23-2009, 07:29 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The Rote Baron movie

The DVD is for sale in Germany. Since they actually filmed it with the German actors speaking IN ENGLISH and then dubbed it into German, clearly they have always been thinking of US distribution.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:04 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

I want this movie too! I checked the IMDB website this is the latest update they also have links to the trailer:

Country Date
Germany 31 March 2008 (Berlin) (premiere)
Germany 10 April 2008
Czech Republic 21 August 2008
Slovakia 16 October 2008
Finland 4 February 2009 (DVD premiere)
Sweden 4 February 2009 (DVD premiere)
Germany 6 February 2009 (European Film Market)
Iceland 16 April 2009 (DVD premiere)

To trailer links:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365675/trailers
Old 04-23-2009, 07:05 PM
mgnostic

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

It has been a while since I looked but you could buy it in eBay Germany and pay for it with paypal. Paypal or your credit card takes care of the currency exchange. I watched it in German. I wasn't all that impressed with their portrayal of MvR but still better than Flyboys. The Germans actually get to fly something other than triplanes. Not as good as "Hell's Angels" or "Waldo Pepper" but a little better than "The Blue Max". Buy it if you can find a copy. The DVD probably has at least English subtitles.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:24 PM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: mgnostic
It has been a while since I looked but you could buy it in eBay Germany and pay for it with paypal. Paypal or your credit card takes care of the currency exchange. I watched it in German. I wasn't all that impressed with their portrayal of MvR but still better than Flyboys. The Germans actually get to fly something other than triplanes. Not as good as "Hell's Angels" or "Waldo Pepper" but a little better than "The Blue Max". Buy it if you can find a copy. The DVD probably has at least English subtitles.
I also got a chance to watch it back in December when I visited Germany. Chris and I were watching it in German and I noticed there was something wrong with the sound. The lip movements didn't match the talk! At first I thought there was some problem with the DVD, but nope, they had actually dubbed German in AFTERWARD. It was originally filmed with the German actors all speaking IN ENGLISH!!!

I agree that the plot is pretty silly (at least as silly as Flyboys) but the CG scenes are well worth getting a copy.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:45 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It seems so strange you can't buy it or see it at the theatre ? I have to think they missed some sales?
Old 04-24-2009, 08:01 AM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: mgnostic
It has been a while since I looked but you could buy it in eBay Germany and pay for it with paypal.
Most of the auctions on German eBay that I've seen specify that they only ship within Germany or the EU. Also I don't believe PayPal is an option on German eBay (and maybe not in Europe on the whole). The standard method of payment seems to be bank transfer. BTW, there may be issues with "region" for a DVD purchased in Germany but played elsewhere. I hear there are ways of disabling the silly regions things (which for example, prevents me from watching a DVD I bought myself in the US on my own computer in Japan).

http://cgi.ebay.de/Der-Rote-Baron-Til-Schweiger-DVD-NEU-OVP_W0QQitemZ380114097157QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDE_DVD s?hash=item380114097157&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1229|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18
Old 04-24-2009, 01:25 PM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I've seen it. I was very disappointed.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:08 AM
abufletcher

My son just found this site:

http://www.zshare.net/video/541414375cd65227/
Old 05-01-2009, 05:28 AM
Mode One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: carlgrover

I've seen it. I was very disappointed.
My understanding is, it had the actors flying in the correct airplanes for the time and the CGI stuff was first rate. There were WW1 aeroplanes flying in combat! How many movies have there been that are about this and then to top it off, have some grain of truth to it, about MvR's life?

Wanna tell us what you were disapointed in?
Old 05-01-2009, 06:45 AM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: Mode One
...and then to top it off, have some grain of truth to it, about MvR's life?
Not many grains of truth to be found in this movie. The history and events in this movie are only very tenuously connected with the actual facts of MvR life. Certainly no more truth to be had here than in the Blue Max. In fact, I just recently rewatched the 1970's film "Richthofen and Brown" and Der Rote Baron is about on a par with that in terms of historical accuracy of the MvR character. Also I'd say the quality fo the CGI is no better than Flyboys in terms of quality, but there's a better variety of aircraft and the there was just a bit more visual appeal (maybe just because I like the German planes better than the Nieuports).

Don't the producers know that was we really want is just 120mins of flying scenes!