Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 111 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,775 of 2863

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: CD ScaleDesigns Albatros CI build

Too windy for flying today...but still beautiful fall weather.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt57232.gif 
Views:	4 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	1825512   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om32995.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	170.4 KB 
ID:	1825513  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice foliage Don.... reminds me of my growing up years in New England this time of year..... yes, some of this mini-scale stuff is a real pain....I have the same endless deliberations everyday...funny thing is nobody would ever notice probably, but there is always that fear ( in my case ) that an expert on this aircraft may point it out.[]
    Fleet Brotherhood #5
    Half A Wing, Three Engines and A Prayer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My conclusion though is that no matter how I did the stitching it would be non-scale in one way or another. And worse yet, non-scale stitching might actually detract from the overall scale effect of the model. So I'm not concerned with some hypothetical scale judge saying something like "it's missing the stitching."

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just a (Some Day) thought, you could paint the stitches.
    I have seen modelers make wheels that role paint dots on to simulate rivites.
    Maybe it could be done to make a shade line/dash to infer that a stitch is there.
    Murray

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've already experimented with a pencil line. But without the raised thread it just looks cartoonish. On the fuselage I did finally decide that making small dots with a black permanent marker was going to look more scale than hammering in hundreds of actual teeny nails. Even the smallest nails looked oversize and stood out too strongly on the fuselage...taking away from the whole scale effect. While hundreds of little brass nail heads would probably have "played well" with the crowd, it's just not that apparent in any of the period photos.

The problem with the stitches is really one of scale. I believe the full-scale stitches were about 6mm wide and placed roughly 30mm apart. So at 1/6 scale, they should only be 2mm wide and be spaced ever 5mm. But the rib caps themselves are about 6mm wide. I'd be willing to put in the effort to do full, functional stitching but not if it means putting hundreds of holes through the rib caps (let alone the difficulty in doing that).

Bear in mind that the ribs themselves are made from 3mm balsa. Now it I had made them all scale from, say, 1/32 ply with scale caps and the authentic strip of fabric laced to the ribs (before covering), I could have scale stitching.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

abby,are you going to have the dragondile on your fuse?-jeffo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That was definitely cool, but that was on a CIII.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I made another attempt at the rib stitching. This time I ironed on a torn strip of Solartex, then did the Z-stitching, then laid down the moistened silk and doped that in place. Using a curved needle, the stitch goes under the solartex strip (and possibly also the underlying fabric). These stitches are still twice as wide as would be scale and the single strip of solartex is very delicate and the thread can actually pull through it when tightening up the stitch.

[PHOTO UPLOAD DOESN'T WORK]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OsIBk_RWQY[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y-oU1ikcAA[/youtube]

This isn't the style of stitching used on the Albatros but it's still informative to watch.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I like this one best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCDTmy60R68 , even though the rabbit and palm tree got me through this wing.

Name:	Tr50177.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	1826035  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would try stitching to a piece of silkspan and then trim it to just bigger than the rib stitch. Then dope it over the rib. I tried it with Koverall and it is too hard to puncture when unsupported.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, that's a good video. I think I watched it back when I was working the stitching for my Snipe. Even though these videos don't show the Z-stitching they at least motivated me to try again. Here's what I have. First I laid down a 2mm strip of double sided tape, but left on the plastic backing. (I could probably leave this off as it's not scale on the CI.) The I marked the hole locations on the top of the wing and then using the same locations marked the bottom of the wing. Then with a sewing awl, I made initial holes through the covering and through the edges of the rib cap strips.

For the stitching itself, the thread comes up from the bottom (say, on the right side) than goes across and down into the hole on the left. Then on the bottom it goes back across to the starting hole and comes up again. Next the thread goes diagonally from the right hole and then down into the next left hole. Then, on the bottom, it goes across, and then back up on the right. Then, I bring the needle back across to the left and slip it under the diagonal thread, then pull the "knot" tight into the corner and put the needle back down into the (left) hole. Then it goes across on the bottom and that's one stitch. With some practice, I could be able to do maybe one rib in 5 minutes...and all the ribs in a couple of days of effort. The Z-stitching looks reasonably scale on the top, but the straight across stitches on the bottom are wrong for the Albatros.

The question is does this method of stitching look good enough to warrant the effort. After my initial Frankenstein-sized attempts, I think I've finally got the stitching down to a scale size. The tricky bit is how to make this work with the CDL silk. What I would have to do is just to apply the silk directly over the stitching as I dope the silk to the underlying fabric. That IS the only way. Believe me. The way it would look is the way it would look. No painting.

TFF, I don't think it would be possible to "stitch silkspan" since there has to be something solid, either the rib or a reinforcing tape, keeping "left and right" apart. I could use the usual modeler's trick cutting strips of "threads on backing" but that wouldn't give me the Z-stitch. But I suppose it might be better than nothing.

Name:	Mk24840.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	1826064   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sn41841.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	1826065   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Di10952.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	1826066  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I ran a z stitch in my wife's sewing machine on silkspan. It did not work with Koverall. The stitch was too big for what I wanted, it would have worked for 1/4 scale. It was as small as her machine would go, but a better programable machine would easily do it. A square frame with the silkspan attached do your hand stitching. Then cut it apart. It would be purely fo.

Your stitching looks good though. Lots of work.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Do sewing machines actually do a Z-stitch as seen in my photo? I can't find a single image on google with that pattern. There are "zig-zag" stitches but that's not the same. Besides, doing the stitches on silkspan (by hand) then cutting them out and pasting them to the wing seems like it would be as much work as just doing them on the wing. (And I still can't imagine how it would be possible to do these stitches on the delicate silkspan.)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The modern sewing machines can sew your cloths together with stitches that look like dump trucks, roses, whatever. Many you can load the shaped you want. I think the one I tried was "lighting." Some machines have 600 stitches built in.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yep, lightning stitch it is! (But where would I access such a technological wonder, I wonder.)

Name:	Ge96804.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	1826324  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Reality check. Here's a photo of the rib stitching on the stab of the Vintage Aviator DV. This shows the Z-shaped stitches before the first coat of dope and before rib tapes and further coats of dope. All this suggests that stitching would look very subtle indeed on the finished machine.

If you squint your eyes, you hardly see the stitches at all. What would probably be more visible are rib tapes.

Name:	Ig11020.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	1826392  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is what I believe German/Astrian CDL looked like fresh from the factory.

Name:	Sq47421.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	1826393  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Actually all rib stitching is very subtle if you look at real airplanes. The rib tapes fair in enough that they are more like bumps than ridges. Part of the reason they are there is to streamline the thread out, besides help locking it in place. They seem to be most noticeable on the over-restored airplanes where everything is shiny and you get a good reflection off the surface.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's another photo (thanks, John) of the DIII that shows the color of the fabric. Being honest with myself, this is lighter than my bamboo silk method would produce. []

Name:	Xu62839.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	1827421  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If someone notices it, you can always say that the one depicted in the photo is a repro of an Albatros produced by OAW !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Abu,

Hope everything is ok, haven't had any updates on the Albatros in awhile.

Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, everything's fine. I took a 2 week trip to the US for Xmas...and picked up another can of non-tautening nitrate. And since it's now winter so the humidity is reasonable (75% vs. over 90% in the spring and summer), doping the silk to the koverall will be the next task. I also brought back my old EIII and have spent this last week restoring that model.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: abufletcher

Yeah, that's a good video. I think I watched it back when I was working the stitching for my Snipe. Even though these videos don't show the Z-stitching they at least motivated me to try again. Here's what I have. First I laid down a 2mm strip of double sided tape, but left on the plastic backing. (I could probably leave this off as it's not scale on the CI.) The I marked the hole locations on the top of the wing and then using the same locations marked the bottom of the wing. Then with a sewing awl, I made initial holes through the covering and through the edges of the rib cap strips.

For the stitching itself, the thread comes up from the bottom (say, on the right side) than goes across and down into the hole on the left. Then on the bottom it goes back across to the starting hole and comes up again. Next the thread goes diagonally from the right hole and then down into the next left hole. Then, on the bottom, it goes across, and then back up on the right. Then, I bring the needle back across to the left and slip it under the diagonal thread, then pull the ''knot'' tight into the corner and put the needle back down into the (left) hole. Then it goes across on the bottom and that's one stitch. With some practice, I could be able to do maybe one rib in 5 minutes...and all the ribs in a couple of days of effort. The Z-stitching looks reasonably scale on the top, but the straight across stitches on the bottom are wrong for the Albatros.

The question is does this method of stitching look good enough to warrant the effort. After my initial Frankenstein-sized attempts, I think I've finally got the stitching down to a scale size. The tricky bit is how to make this work with the CDL silk. What I would have to do is just to apply the silk directly over the stitching as I dope the silk to the underlying fabric. That IS the only way. Believe me. The way it would look is the way it would look. No painting.

TFF, I don't think it would be possible to ''stitch silkspan'' since there has to be something solid, either the rib or a reinforcing tape, keeping ''left and right'' apart. I could use the usual modeler's trick cutting strips of ''threads on backing'' but that wouldn't give me the Z-stitch. But I suppose it might be better than nothing.
    this is exactly how i did my 1/4 scale albatros. was worth the effort in my book
    I once had a drinking problem.....I divorced it, now shes someone else\'\'s problem
    waco brotherhood # 140

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: eagledancer
    this is exactly how i did my 1/4 scale albatros. was worth the effort in my book
    At 1/4 scale doing the Z-stitching won't be a problem. But at 1/6 scale the ribs (and rib caps) themselves are too wide to allow scale stitching. The ribs are 1/8 balsa so that's the minimum possible width of the stitch but would mean drilling hundreds of tiny holes through the tops and bottoms of the rib caps. And getting the holes aligned top and bottom would be its own challenge (though thanks to a book on doing full-scale ceconite covering I know how to do this). Finally, I just not sure how this would work together with my technique of covering the koverall with silk. I think I would have to do the stitching after adding the silk (and dope) but cutting thin straight strips of silk has proven difficult.

In the end, it boils down to me not trusting myself not to screws this up and end up with a result that looks terrible. Better I think to leave it off. I left stitching off of my SE5a and really now that I'm done with it, I hardly think about it. I'd be more inclined to do the stitching if I had planned ahead to be able to do it exactly it was done in the Albatros factories. As it is, I would have to work very hard to produce an artificial effect.