Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 4 of 115 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: CD ScaleDesigns Albatros CI build

Since each of the top wing panels has a span of over 1m, another "pre-building" task is to lengthen the 1m long spruce spars provided with material cut from the lower wing spars. The joint was placed out past the outer strut position about midway to the wingtip. This was done for both the 5x5mm 1st spars and the 10x5mm 2nd spars.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge95671.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	1221884   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gb89711.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	222.7 KB 
ID:	1221885   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hm23994.jpg 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	1221886  

I know I arrived here late. Been busy building several models. Sport scale to be kind. Perhaps there's still time to consider the staining matter.
    An old time model railroader trick is to use coffee as a stain. It is often used to color ties and wooden bridge structure. A little experimenting
    will tell you how long to leave the coffee on the material for the color you need. If it stains a porcelain cup it will surely do well on ply or
    balsa. I have never had a problem with adhesives holding well on coffee stained material. Yes I've done railroading as well as sailboats and cars
    but always have an airplane or two on the bench. I started all this when I was 10, in 1934, with free flight followed by U- control and RC in the
    early 70's. Keep showing the build threads so there's something to drool over.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

BallGunner, glad you are still with us and imparting your wisdom. Yes, some of the basic old tricks can sometimes still be the easiest way to approach scale problems. I learned from an old guitar maker how to make sunburst finishes and use food coloring first for the lighter tones and then build up from there, absolutely no varnishing problems as it was water based. I can imagine they are still available at speciallty confiserie stores etc.
    How do you produce scale rust effects and other weathering techniques on your models?
    Fleet Brotherhood #5
    Half A Wing, Three Engines and A Prayer

Scale rust and weathering materials are available from most Model Railroad suppliers. These materials will come as either powders or liquid.
    Unfortunately I no longer have space available for a RR layout. Might even have to leave the car outside to make space for some large
    model aircraft. Example a six foot span PT-17, 64" Fokker D-VII and a large trainer type Senior Telemaster plus a few smaller electrics
    like a Pietenpol 64". Wouldn't have it any other way.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just wanted to update everyone on where we are with the CI project. As I was laying out the wing ribs, we discovered a discrepancy between the milling drawings in the parts list and the number and labeling of some of the parts on the plans. I could have just sorted out all this issues myself, but we decided that it would be best in terms of prototyping the kit for Chris to make the changes to the kit and mail out the new parts. We also decided, after much discussion, that we should build in some right thrust to the engine compartment and that rather than coming up with an ad hoc solution, Chris redesigned the formers and flanges. So those parts are also waiting to be from Germany to Japan. Chris and I have also both be busier than usual with REAL work!

Add to this that my RCV91cd is still away in the UK being (hopefully) repaired and this may end up turning into my winter project since I'll be away from my workshop from the beginning of August until the beginning of September. But as soon as we can manage, I'll get back to the building so stay tuned!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, that box of parts arrived and here's the contents:

1. New and improved engine mount parts.
    2. A new sheet of custom brass parts for the CI kit (including central rib, windscreen frames, footstep, claw brake).
    3. The missing ribs.
    4. forms for doing the edge laminations for the elevator and rudder.
    5. Parts for a cabane strut jig.

Now I can get back to building the CI! Should be fun to alternate off between the off-the-beaten track of scratch building the DrI and "following the plan" (to the extent that's possible for me) with a kit. As kits go, this one gives you about everything you could ask for. I'll have to see how much I can get done once the semester starts in a couple of weeks.

Name:	Hf98401.jpg 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	1277485   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gb89420.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	192.5 KB 
ID:	1277486   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Af90599.jpg 
Size:	175.7 KB 
ID:	1277487   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wq42640.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	1277488   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Do83403.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	162.2 KB 
ID:	1277489  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dt18877.jpg 
Size:	148.7 KB 
ID:	1277490  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My RCV engine is still 'missing in action" though. [] But it's supposed to be on the way back (according to the guy I spoke to in the UK).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

abu,

I am looking forward to seeing this progress. I am also interested in how the top wing meets at the center. How is the brass center rib used. How does the top wing attach to the cabanes?

Regards,
    Dave Semeraro

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Dave, 1/3rd scale is the new 1/4! Now, back to our regularly scheduled thread:-)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: semeraro
    I am looking forward to seeing this progress. I am also interested in how the top wing meets at the center. How is the brass center rib used. How does the top wing attach to the cabanes?
    The stock method follows the usual technique on the CDScaledesigns kits, where you have a center section with 3mm music wire that slips into brass tubes in the wing panels. The brass tubes are positioned such that this locks in the dihedral. On the CI design the "center section" is, in essence, reduced to this one center brass rib. That's the stock method and probably a good solution on a kit. But this is one area where I might be taking my build "off-track" and may go with a more complex, scale manner of attachment. To do this I'd need to replace the brass rib with more scale attachment points directly on the Cabane struts and use the rigging to set the dihedral. Since I'm documenting the build for Chris, I'll probably also build using the stock method for photos.

!/3 scale? Does anyone seriously want to build a1/3 scale Albatros CI? [sm=surprised.gif] (I know the UK Dawn Patrol guys are involved with just this sort of projects.) I read in the latest issue of FSM that Gary Sunderland is developing plans for a 1/4 scale CIII. At 2m+ this 1/6 scale Albatros is already plenty big enough for me!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i sure hope there is someone with a 1/3 albatross so i can shoot it down!
    !/3 scale? Does anyone seriously want to build a1/3 scale Albatros CI?
    !

Name:	Ki19841.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	1277749  
    I once had a drinking problem.....I divorced it, now shes someone else\'\'s problem
    waco brotherhood # 140 BUSA brotherhood #88
    currently flying proctor albatross x2, busa 1/3 nieuport 28, reeves 1/3 camel, 1/3 airco DH1a
    on building board 1/4 beech staggerwing, repairs underway 1/3 carf gee bee r2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Eagledancer
    There must be a Fokker or two for you to shoot down

Greg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ah yes but just love the looks of a albi in my crosshairs
    I once had a drinking problem.....I divorced it, now shes someone else\'\'s problem
    currently flying proctor albatross x2, busa 1/3 nieuport 28, reeves 1/3 camel, 1/3 airco DH1a

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Let me know when you want to go!!! Not talkin twop seater either:-)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

lets do it coco, you comin to blue max?
    hmmm wonder if i can get a interrupter gear set up with a paintball gun [8D]
    ORIGINAL: cocobear

Let me know when you want to go!!! Not talkin twop seater either:-)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

More than a couple Camels went down due to a skilled "observers" gun.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Man, I just keep clearing off the workbench to get started again and something jumps right back on there! [:@]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Long time, no see!!! But it's been there under all the DrI building all along, like Lost Troy waiting to be rediscovered!

Name:	Ki19432.jpg 
Size:	167.0 KB 
ID:	1281939  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

First few baby steps! Tack glue (CA) the spar jacks to the glass. Tack glue (also CA) the (already spliced) spars to the jacks. Test fit the ribs. Fine tune (if necessary) the spar slots. Tack glue the "heels" of the ribs to the glass. Check the alignment of the ribs one last time and CA in place. Next, bit by bit and going from the outside towards the root rib, slide the "3rd spar" through the holes in the rear of the ribs.

On the root rib, I marked off about 1/16" on the top of the two spars and sanded a slight bevel to that point so that there is a "dihedral angle" to the root rib. This appears to be how the original was done.

BTW, I followed the lead of Thomas from Germany, who is building the other C1 kit out there at the moment, and put the spliced section of the spars on the inboard end where they'll be next to the 4mm brass tube that will be lashed and epoxied to the spar (or as Tom plans, wrapped with fiberglass):

Here's a link to the beginning of Tom's build thread (in German):

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...=1#post1551465

The CNC-cut parts have a good snug fit on the spar. On a couple I removed maybe 1/64" from one of the spar notches to make sure the spar fit flush on the bottom of the wing. This is the first time I've built on glass and the first time to build an elevated structure, instead of just pinning parts right onto the plan. It seemed strange at first but...I like it!

Name:	Rp43930.jpg 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	1287940   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ql34553.jpg 
Size:	183.0 KB 
ID:	1287941   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bg93665.jpg 
Size:	201.7 KB 
ID:	1287942   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qn38147.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	201.5 KB 
ID:	1287943   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vq50930.jpg 
Size:	185.6 KB 
ID:	1287944  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ch97506.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	198.5 KB 
ID:	1287945  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I haven't put in the two shortened ribs by the alieron bellcrank cutout, because I first need to find the ply reinforcing pieces that go on either side of the spar at this location.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

More work on the wings. First, I epoxied in the ply spar doublers at the points where the bolt for the struts will go through the spar. Then (after cleaning up the mess with a file and sand paper) I fitted the two partial ribs that frame the CI's long (as per original) aileron bellcrank. After that, I got to put on the carbon fiber LE. I say "got" to because this was an absolutely joy to do. Everything fit perfectly and the CA just wicked right in and there was an immediate rock solid bond. Using carbon rod for the LE beats balsa (or wooden dowel) hands down! Three cheers for space-age materials!!! [sm=thumbs_up.gif] BTW, the end of the carbon rod is "hanging out in the breeze" like that because that's the maximum length of rod available. But it doesn't matter because it'll be joined there by the wing tip. The plans show a laminated balsa tip, but I'm thinking I might use bent aluminum tubing.

I have to admit that it's a good deal easier CA-ing CAD-designed and CNC-cut balsa pieces together than silver soldering a brass fuselage! Kits do have their advantages!

Name:	Xv63150.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	1288648   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Id95281.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	203.7 KB 
ID:	1288649   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ch96575.jpg 
Size:	193.4 KB 
ID:	1288650   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ga77713.jpg 
Size:	186.4 KB 
ID:	1288651  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here are the leading and trailing edges for the aileron.

Name:	Jh16238.jpg 
Size:	188.8 KB 
ID:	1289208  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don, it's looking really good. I especially like the airfoil used, and the technique of lofting the structure with the standoffs. Gotta love those two seaters.

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: John Cole
    Don, it's looking really good. I especially like the airfoil used, and the technique of lofting the structure with the standoffs. Gotta love those two seaters.
    Early in the development, Chris kept sending me airfoils and I kept pleading: "Um...can't we go a little bit thinner?" And eventually we reached this happy compromise. It's not the paper thin airfoil of the original but it still maintains the impression of it, while still being reasonable to work with. The lofting technique is something that Chris perfected on his B-17 and Ju-88 kits. It initially seemed a bit odd to me. But then in some sense, this is close to how real wings would have been constructed. It's not like WWI factory workers were pinning lumber to some giant plan on the factory floor! This technique does allow for a very precise and very straight wing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm exploring the option of using 5mm aluminum tube for the wing tips. According to the plans these are laminated balsa and Tom's (German) build certainty proves that it's fast and easy. On the other hand, the tubing works well too. One nice feature of the tubing is that it would slip right over the end of the carbon rod. But I don't imagine it would "give" at all on a touchy landing. Rather it would just bend and stay there. The laminated tip or a bamboo tip might be better in this regard.

Name:	Nk27803.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	1289392  

Page 4 of 115 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast