Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

CD ScaleDesigns Albatros CI build

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

CD ScaleDesigns Albatros CI build

Old 11-06-2010, 07:20 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CD ScaleDesigns Albatros CI build

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. Here's the first and second prototypes for the support arms. The top one (the first) was made from flattening 3mm aluminum tube and is quite strong. The second, "more scale" arm took considerably more effort. First, using a metal guide I cut in the groove with a dremel tool. Then I cut out the bar shape around it and filed off everything that didn't look like a support arm.

The M2 bolt heads may be too large, however. I could go down to 0-80 screws.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:33 AM
abufletcher

...and I just destroyed the second one...trying to make it better. Oh,well...on to Mark III.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:38 AM
GianFrancesco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only now I have understood to what you referring to as "sexton"; your interpretation of the function of it is correct: it allows to raise and to lock in position of the MG support arm; as does my one.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:09 AM
wingwarper

GF
The patina on the gun bracket is perfect....how did you do it? The whole assembly is beautiful!
Old 11-06-2010, 09:12 AM
GianFrancesco

I have followed the "Andy Hutton method": Firstly Black car spray paint; then graphite powder was rubbed onto to the whole ; then a light film of two parts poly matt varnish to seal.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Mein Duff

It's great to watch you guys go back and forth with this info. GF that is one incredible machine gun and mount...exquisite detail in every way.. Do you remember if you used mostly metal (or what?) to fabricate these parts?
It still amazes me the grasp of physics and leveraging the constructors and engineers had at that time...and to fabricate all this with the tools of the time...did they even have electric drills at the time?
Don, I'm sure yours will be a work of art also...whew...its great having those CAD drawings to work from!
I was wondering if you have tried Adobe Illustrator for drawing up parts? you can place scans, or any bit map file into the program and digitize (trace) right over your jpeg (on another layer)....you can set your line weight /thickness at any time to suit and scale up to any size keeping things perfectly sharp (vectorized). The only problem is converting these .AI files to DWF for etching or CNC if need be. I may be preaching to the choir....
Looking forward to seeing your progress on this.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Mein Duff

Yes.. Andy Hutton....amazing bulider...I don't think he competes in any way...just builds incredibly awesome models..and he takes his time to get it right with the right patina...his BE2 is one of the most beautifull modells I have ever seen.

Wouldn't it be great to have a calender for next year with all the great model builders WWI models...set up and shot by a professional photographer with soothing lighting? hummm... any body willing to contribute a few nice shots of their models...we could put in action battle field diaramas in the background. Or if any body wants to send my high res pics of their favorite model I can give it a try?....email me for my email address
Old 11-06-2010, 01:14 PM
wingwarper

You can import photos into CADas raster images. I import them with a ruler in the photo then simply enlarge to the proper scale, trace over the photo,and presto you have a perfect drawing. Sometimes I putthe image into photoshop and "rotate" it fora more precisehead on view.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:28 PM
GianFrancesco

I am a bit "slow" in replying as is quite difficult to explain all these things in English.....
I am rather inclined to use metal (mostly steel if I have to silver solder) instead of plastics; for me the feel of the metal is accomplished only by the true metal. In the case of the machine gun support the arms were made of strips of stainless steel; the pillar was of brass turned in my lathe and filed to get the upper fork; only the square body was of plastic (a square element from a box of multiples for childrens); also the "sexton" was was made of brass.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Mein Duff

Now if I only had CAD ...how much is that program?..I really should get a version and get "with" it.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Mein Duff

GF thanks for your info. thats what I figured...metal bits and pieces... why do you use stainless steel and not just regular mild steel? isn't mild steel easier to work on?
Old 11-06-2010, 02:46 PM
GianFrancesco

You are right; mild steel is easier to work on.....but a strip of stainless steel of the proper width was already there; so no tedious cutting and filing; I had only to cut the pieces, to round the edges and drill them.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:19 PM
abufletcher

I agree that only metal looks like metal. But I accept that sometimes other materials must be used. In terms of which metal, I'm partial to aluminum but will use brass if a part needs to be soldered. Steel only if I feel the part really needs the strength, because steel is a major pain in the rear to work with.

Anyway, I'd love to write more on this topic but in 10 minutes I'm leaving for a day hike, so gotta run!

Edited: No hiking today, it's pouring rain!

So....back to the topic(s) at hand. When at all possible I like to use "scale" materials on WWI builds. The whole reason I like to build WWI is that our models can be built almost the same as the originals. There's an aesthetic purity to this that appeals to me. But I suppose I draw my own particular line in the sand at using steel for steel. I just don't have the tools or skills to work with steel. I guess you could say I don't have the mettle to work with steel!

As for CAD...well, it's like French, I just want to KNOW how to use it NOW, but don't want to study! I have in the past played around with various vector drawing tools. I used to have Illustrator and know the basics. Years ago, when I was still a Window's guy, I also tried Corel Draw and have also fooled around with ModelCAD (and for that matter also LegoCAD). I think what puts me off the whole "CAD modeling" thing though is the idea of "building" the whole model, piece by piece, ONCE in CAD and then AGAIN in the real world! I spend enough time in front of the computer as it is! But for a project like the MG mount CAD is really the only way to go.

Well, since it's raining I guess I've got another day in the shop!

Old 11-06-2010, 05:51 PM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: GianFrancesco
I have followed the ''Andy Hutton method'': Firstly Black car spray paint; then graphite powder was rubbed onto to the whole ; then a light film of two parts poly matt varnish to seal.
I've also used the same trick: Flat black then rub on graphite. The problem is that using a fuel-proof finish pretty much destroys the fine effect. On the mount I'm hoping to somehow achieve a "blued steel" look rather than black. But because I'll be using different types of metal (as well as some wood and maybe some plastic) I'll need to primer the whole thing and then paint (i.e. "fake it").
Old 11-07-2010, 03:20 AM
GianFrancesco

I've also used the same trick: Flat black then rub on graphite. The problem is that using a fuel-proof finish pretty much destroys the fine effect. [/quote]

However I am quite satisfied of the result..........even on the Lewis for the Strutter
Old 11-07-2010, 03:43 AM
abufletcher

It definitely still looks good, but it looks really GREAT before doing the clear coats. Well, I'm back from my "hike" (which sort of turned into a drive) and also have a photo of the Mark III of the mount arm that I did this morning before leaving.

This version is made from two layers of GFR board. I cut a slot in one layer, CA'ed this to the other layer and count out the shape of the arm. I'm 90% satisfied with it. So that's good enough to use...but I'll try to do better on the remaining arms. The arm is about 2mm thick. Because these arms are wider than on GF's drawings (but fairly scale), I'll need to widen the support bracket on the turret. I'd love to be able to make such parts in solid aluminum (or brass) but I just don't have the tools.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:09 AM
wingwarper

What is GFR board?
Old 11-07-2010, 10:17 AM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: wingwarper
What is GFR board?
Circuit board material. Glass Fiber Reinforced (plastic). But maybe that's the German term for it!
Old 11-07-2010, 10:29 AM
abufletcher

Mark VI and finished! I left these all at their full doubled thickness (so about 2mm) since the arms in the photo look fairly thick. Gee...the KIT comes with a sheet of GFR laser cut parts...
Old 11-07-2010, 10:48 AM
abufletcher

Well, that's it for today. Tomorrow's back to classes but it was a fun day all round.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:54 AM
GianFrancesco

Never noticed before that the arms were so thick; probably I should fiddle a bit more with Photoshop ( and be able too...)
Old 11-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Mein Duff

The parts look great...how did you rout out the grooves in the arms?....Nice fall pics..Is that a real pile of snow??
Old 11-07-2010, 06:37 PM
abufletcher

The trick with the "routed" groove is to make each arm from two parts. One part has a "slot" cut in it, which is a lot easier to do than making a groove. I start the slot with a dremel cutting wheel then file it out. Then slotted part is glued to an unslotted part and the two halves are shaped (and drilled) together. I can't remember where I learned this optical trick but it works for all sorts of "3-D" parts. It's similar to the way GTM does the scale control horns on his Fokkers.

Re the pile of "snow," the bizarre truth is this was actually chipped iced that was being pumped through large pipes onto the hill from the top of the ski area. So it's actually one giant snow cone! Later this piles will be spread out to form a base.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:12 PM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: GianFrancesco
Never noticed before that the arms were so thick; probably I should fiddle a bit more with Photoshop ( and be able too...)
I still have the option of thinning them down if I decide these are a bit too thick. But I think they look about right. I ended up having to make them about 4mm across (vs. the 3.5mm on the drawings to accommodate the slot. I've started with the arms since they will determine the width of the main mounting bracket. Tomorrow, I'll try making the support block from 10x10 mahogany. Thanks again for the drawings. I could never have gotten to this level of detail on my own!
Old 11-07-2010, 07:45 PM
abufletcher

Here are the patterns I used (from GF's drawings).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.