Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 98 of 115 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108 ... LastLast
Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 2863

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: CD ScaleDesigns Albatros CI build

Don, really good work and I'm happy, now is the color of the muffler ok.
    I've sent the detail pictures on your private address.

Matz

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh wow! - that is quite simply stunning Don, it looks amazing!

Bri

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: gabriel voisin
    Don, really good work and I'm happy, now is the color of the muffler ok.
    The muffler just looks darker in this photo. I haven't repainted it. In some light it looks lighter, in other light it's darker. I thought long and hard about this, and while I felt that it probably would be dark (almost black), I wanted it to have a metal look. Oh, how I wish some of these WWI photos were in color!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don, ask if Vintage Aviator will rebuild a C1, than you can take photos yourself

For me the engine looks perfect, you should kit this one and made availlable. It's a masterpiece itself.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Teus
    ...you should kit this one and made availlable.
    It's a nightmare just thinking about that! [:'(]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Its crazy how different lighting effects objects and color temerature....nevermind having to rely on only B/W photos..
    The task is mostly conjecture... and educated guessing.
    I though you had repainted the exhaust stack. Looks great Don.. just make it look old and funky... have you tried rubbing in graphite lightly with a Q-tip to get in corners, I have also found that actually rubbing in motor oil gives metal objects a nice sheen...smells just right also
    Fleet Brotherhood #5
    Half A Wing, Three Engines and A Prayer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It would still be possible to lightly mist the exhaust with a darker color. But I think I'm just going to let it go, since it photograhs ok...sort of like how Hollywood uses overly red fake blood so it looks like on film. And I have used the graphite trick before. It works very well over a flat-black base and then just rub with a fingertip for a somewhat irregular finish. I'll use this trick on the machine guns.

As far as rubbing with motor oil, the reality is that the dummy sits right on top of the real engine and so I'm going to have to clear coat anyway. The RCV91cd seems to be a particularly oily engine. I'm still working out the exact method for mounting the dummy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks to a small removable ply bracket (at the rear) and two small screws up front, the dummy is now firmly mounted over the engine. Actually the RCV91cd crankcase just looks like the crankcase for the Benz. [8D] Too bad it'll all be hidden away.

And, yeah, I think I'm going to have to tone done that exhaust.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv63504.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	1803136   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Av69816.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	1803137  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looking very respectable & glamorous (sp) Don!
    I guess it depends on what 'look' you are going for. Will it represent a plane that is fresh off the flugswerke factory floor, or will you dirty it up so that it becomes a 'ridden hard and put away wet' mount?

Cheers,
    Bri

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Seems odd to be doing a practical task on this model: Installing the fuel tank, plumbing, and throttle linkage. Not quite sure yet what to do with the fill-line.

BTW, it's very comforting that the engine is not only "broken in" but that I've flown with it for more than a year and, once a few initial teething probably were sorted, I've never had a problem with this engine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hf99062.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	1803422  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: abufletcher

Not quite sure yet what to do with the fill-line.

Can you use some of the original plumbing to use a the fill-line?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Where was the fuel filler on the full scale? My last 4 airplanes all had the model tank filler concealed in the filler as a detail item. It doesnt really matter how long it is nor if it runs uphill or down, all the ones I did were on top of the fuse somewhere and I like that theres no siphoning of fuel (as one at the bottom of the cowl) when you disconnect the fueller line. Just picked up a Rumpler CIV plan at 1/6 scale to peruse, still a large model at around 82 inch span, would be very large at 1/4.
    Doc
    Happy landings, Doc Hou Tx
    The second rule of modeling is there is no such thing as an insignificant savings in weight

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: geezeraviation
    Where was the fuel filler on the full scale?
    I'll see if I can come up with a create solution. So far, I've just been stuffing the tube into some crevice.

Just picked up a Rumpler CIV plan at 1/6 scale to peruse, still a large model at around 82 inch span, would be very large at 1/4.
    It's what I'm always saying: If you want a bigger model, model a bigger aircraft! WWI modelers seem to be falling all over themselves to build "bigger" 1/3 scale (or larger) models, but they are almost always sticking with the same small fighters. A 1/6 scale 2-seater is like a 1/4 scale fighter. In fact, a 1/6 scale FE2b would be at least the size of a 1/3 scale fighter. When guys start building 1/4 scale 2-seaters, then I'll be impressed. Actually, I have seen a few of those and I WAS impressed!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think the reason for the trend towards the larger WWI fighters, instead of 2 seat-recon and bomber types is that you can be more acrobatic with them in general...
    read: more fun to fly in general... I have a 1/4 Fleet that can barely roll and I am already getting slightly bored with it... flies otherwise very stable and looks good..
    I still love the image of large 2 seaters in the air flying realistically and well piloted but I think for my flying tastes there would be something missing.. just my 2 cents

But contest and scale flying is another catagory where they would be perfect
    Fleet Brotherhood #5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What seems to satisfy me the most when I fly is knowing that I'm making the model go just where I want it to go. I enjoy simple things like "making a perfect turn" and my flying probably looks pretty boring to onlookers. I almost never do any formal aerobatic moves (certainly not the kind that have names) but do a lot of tail wiggling and what I like to think of as "real" erratic combat flying. I imagine I've got a plane on my tail and am trying to shake it. Or that I'm trying to corner another plane. So loops and rolls? Not so much. Dives, breaking maneuvers, absolutely.

But I know you're right. The 1/3 scale model craze it totally driven by the dawn patrol crowd. It's about FUN. And big (fairly simple to build) fighters are fun.

PS. I'll put this here because I don't know where else to put it. I've just replaced the Saito 56 I had in my Puppeteer with a same physical size Saito 62. It was a simple matter of swapping out the engines. I'm looking forward to flying it with the extra bit of umph! After gaining a bit of weight with each of many repairs, the Puppeteer was starting to be quite a hog to get into the air with the 56. It would just barely lumber off the ground and two about two circuits before it was really flying. A 72 would really have been perfect, but I would have had to redo the engine mounting and cowling. But on the other hand, I enjoyed the way I really had to squeeze ever last bit of power out of the model and fly it right on the edge of flyablility.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: abufletcher

ORIGINAL: geezeraviation
    Where was the fuel filler on the full scale?
    I'll see if I can come up with a create solution. So far, I've just been stuffing the tube into some crevice.

Just picked up a Rumpler CIV plan at 1/6 scale to peruse, still a large model at around 82 inch span, would be very large at 1/4.
    It's what I'm always saying: If you want a bigger model, model a bigger aircraft! WWI modelers seem to be falling all over themselves to build ''bigger'' 1/3 scale (or larger) models, but they are almost always sticking with the same small fighters. A 1/6 scale 2-seater is like a 1/4 scale fighter. In fact, a 1/6 scale FE2b would be at least the size of a 1/3 scale fighter. When guys start building 1/4 scale 2-seaters, then I'll be impressed. Actually, I have seen a few of those and I WAS impressed!
    actually abu i am building a 2 seater but in 1/3!!!! DH1a will have a 164" span. heck the horz stab is 4 foot across!

I once had a drinking problem.....I divorced it, now shes someone else\'\'s problem
    waco brotherhood # 140

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I fly in colorado and its always windy. I only build ww1 aircraft and  chose 1/3 scale because they are heavy and much more stable in the wind. 1/4 scale or smaller just gets bounced around in windy conditions making it look more like a model. There are draw backs to building 1/3 scale or larger, its cost and transportation. Once your over that there is no going back.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So are you saying that a 1/6 scale model with the same withspan as a 1/3 scale model will get knocked around more by the wind?

(Of course, I understand that everyone wants to be the Red Baron and not some some anonymous Joe, Johan, or Jean flying reconnaissance. )

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think what Valleyk means is that at a certain physical mass, wingspan and weight, winds have less of an effect whether 1/6 scale or 1/3 scale... there is also the "RE factor" where wings are more efficient at larger scales which "smooths out the bumps" if you will..
    I must confess that I have never really taken the time to research the RE factor and the math involved.. maybe someone more informed enlightened can us here?[]
    Fleet Brotherhood #5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My 1/3 scale N28 weighs 40 lbs dry, my 1/4 scale N28 weighs 14.5 lbs dry, It doesnt seem like there should be that much difference but there is. You can fly the 1/3 in about any conditions (sanity respected) but the 1/4 really gets unhappy at 12 to 15 mph.
    Doc
    The second rule of modeling is there is no such thing as an insignificant savings in weight

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Again, it seems obvious that a larger/heavier model is going to fly more like the real thing. This has nothing whatsoever to do with scale. But I will admit that 1/6 scale fighters are seeming very small to me nowadays.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don,

I have anynew detail colored pictures of the Benz, the C1 and B2.

Interested?

Have a nice day,....!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: gabriel voisin

Don,

I have anyΒ*new detail colored pictures of the Benz, the C1 and B2.

Interested?

Have a nice day,....!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

???

"smile"..... what?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

To me that would mean "of course"
    Doc