Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Spekrum murdered my Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Spekrum murdered my Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 03:21 PM
jjplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spekrum murdered my Corsair

Yes I lost a YAK when my plane stopped responding to my Spektrum Radio. I built a new plane and during setting up the servo throw the radio receiver stopped working again. I install test meters to pin point the problem.What I found is the Spektrum receiver stops working when the battery voltage dropped just under 4 Volts not the 3.5 Volts stated in the manual. I found I could get the radio tofail with most standard RC plane batteries during bench testing. I fixed the problem by installing a DC to DC converter from Hobbycity. This takes 9 to 24 V LIPObattery to 6V 3A to supply receiver power. I did numerous test and to matter how fastI moved the transmitter controls I could not get the DC to DC converted output voltage to drop below 6V. Ihave notlosta plane to a radio problem since. I am slowly converting all my plane power supplies to use this converter.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:37 PM
R/C Lee
My Feedback: (3)

I installed two MPI switches in my Proctor Nieuport 28, wired up so if one failed, the other was still functioning. Upon installation, I checked the switches to be certain that they worked independently, and wouldn't you know it, one failed. The failed switch worked fine on the bench, but when installed, evidently tightening the mounting screws changed something inside the switch and it wouldn't work. I e-mailed MPI and they sent me a replacement switch right away. I hate to think what might have happened if I had installed only the failing switch, turned it on, and it worked on the ground then failed in the air. It really makes me a believer of redundancy in switches. By the way, I am only buying switches from Electrodynamics now. Lee
Old 07-10-2009, 09:48 PM
djsdog

To h#@@ with switches of any make, I'm trying an "arming" setup I designed myself using 1/4" head phone plugs and sockets. You can get enough for two setups for under $10 at Radio Shack. Yes I must do some soldering but I trust what I do better than what I can't see. Have been using it in a 70" USA Balsa Phaeton with no problems yet.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:09 PM
rvnrcer
My Feedback: (4)

Sorry to hear of your loss. I crashed an EDF today. I have a JR 9303 and was using a Spektrum 7 channel receiver. I also had a separate 4.8 V battery for receiver. When I did a check of components after recovery, I found that when I powered up receiver with all servos still connected nothing responded. I disconnected all servos and connected a servo from my drawer and receiver worked fine. I then started reconnecting servo's from plane. They all worked until I hooked up retract servo. Receiver stopped working again. Servo had a bad spot in gear. Normally I would assume it happened in crash, but I believe either servo was too small or retract valve bound up. I lost control about the same time I retracted gear. Motor quit and control was lost. i assumed the ESC had shorted and blew out receiver. I now think this servo jammed and locked out receiver. I can't say servo didnt have bad gear when it was installed but I can say plane had flown before with no problems and gear servo was functioning properly. I did check all surfaces for correct throw and checked on high rates also. Since retract servo only moves a small amount and gear cycled I assumed it was OK. I hope this may save somebody else the same grief.

Keith
Old 07-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Raman
My Feedback: (1)

2.4 ghz receivers have a circuit breaker.. a jammed servo can definitely cause this.