Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

feedback on Model Sounds Inc. Shockwave system

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

feedback on Model Sounds Inc. Shockwave system

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 01:15 PM
Eindecker_pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default feedback on Model Sounds Inc. Shockwave system

I ran across the website for Model Sounds Inc. They sell a system called Shockwave that has a wide variety of real engine & machine gun sound effects recorded for playback. The engine sound is proportional to throttle position & it has a gun sound effect that can be triggered on a separate channel.

They have a video gallery where customers have showcased their applications of the sound module & it's pretty impressive from the looks of it. This one seemed like the best...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcLi-4GqAWc

How difficult are these systems to install and setup? Does it work as advertised? I'd like to have a machine gun sound effect in my 1/4 scale DH2 & this could be the ticket. The engine sound effect is incredible too.

I'd like to hear if people are satisfied with the product, I'm giving serious consideration to buying one.

best regards,
Greg
Old 03-31-2013, 03:36 PM
cjtyped
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: feedback on Model Sounds Inc. Shockwave system

I recently bought this system. Two speakers, wiring, the magic box, etc. although I haven't rigged it up yet, I am impressed with the apparent ease with which it will take. When I ordered t he stuff, it was shipped promptly. The owner seems accessible and there seem to be quite a few people using..
I am installing mine on a VQ Pilatus Porter, using the sound effects for a PT6 turboprop engine. I am quite excited by it. Good Luck
Old 04-01-2013, 02:25 AM
Eindecker_pilot

Thanks, let us know how the installation goes.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:38 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Notice that one the SE5 model the whine of the electric motor is clearly heard above/through the sound module sounds. This might be less of an issue with larger electric motors where prop noise starts to play a larger role.

Presumably the speakers are mounted BENEATH the fabric covering. Right?
Old 04-01-2013, 09:00 AM
Eindecker_pilot

From what I've read the sound level of the shockwave module is dependent on the battery voltage used. It can work with as low as a 3S lipo but 6S is supposed to be a lot better. I would guess that se5 might have been using a lower voltage battery.

Th module and speaker have to be mounted under the covering as you say.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:26 AM
Teus

Nice sound system indeed but the gun fire can't convince me on the WW-I models. And as with all sound systems: You need a big resonance box to achieve a good result. And thats just the difficult part in our models.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:45 PM
Tmoth4

If the machine gun sound is as good as the engine sound in the video, it should be good. I really need to get some machine gun sounds in my WW1 models. The paintball gun system in your Pup sounds great but this seems like it would be less weight and you wouldn't have to deal with the CO2 tanks.

Jim
Old 04-01-2013, 04:52 PM
Eindecker_pilot

ORIGINAL: Teus

Nice sound system indeed but the gun fire can't convince me on the WW-I models. And as with all sound systems: You need a big resonance box to achieve a good result. And thats just the difficult part in our models.
Yeah some setups sound better than others. The dh2 might be pretty good though, the fuselage is basically a box with a nosecap!

Old 04-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Eindecker_pilot

ORIGINAL: Tmoth4

If the machine gun sound is as good as the engine sound in the video, it should be good. I really need to get some machine gun sounds in my WW1 models. The paintball gun system in your Pup sounds great but this seems like it would be less weight and you wouldn't have to deal with the CO2 tanks.

Jim
Yes this electronic system weighs much much less than my paintball gun system. To maximize sound quality, they recommend the 6S lipo and the 4 inch speaker. They sell smaller speakers but they don't have the sound quality which makes sense.

The speaker weighs 6oz, throw in a couple of oz for mounting structure and hardware, and then another 7oz for a 1100mah 6S lipo and your at about a pound. The paintball system is probably around five pounds ...

Old 04-01-2013, 08:09 PM
Tmoth4

I definitely can't afford to add an extra 5 lbs. to my planes, so an electronic system is what i would have to use. I looked at the Shockwave system and it seems awfully expensive...$200 just for the sound card...correct? Then you have to buy the speakers and wiring units.

I was thinking...would it be posssible to get the RAM Products machine gun unit ($40) and add a more powerful amplifier and speakers to give it more volume?

Jim
Old 04-02-2013, 04:37 PM
Eindecker_pilot

I definitely can't afford to add an extra 5 lbs. to my planes, so an electronic system is what i would have to use. I looked at the Shockwave system and it seems awfully expensive...$200 just for the sound card...correct? Then you have to buy the speakers and wiring units.

I was thinking...would it be posssible to get the RAM Products machine gun unit ($40) and add a more powerful amplifier and speakers to give it more volume?

Jim
Yes, judging by their price they seem proud of the product that's for sure. But we never get more than we pay for right? Art always says "you pays your money & you takes your chances." With regards to modifying the RAM unit with a new amplifier & speaker... I'm sure it's possible, but I wouldn't know how to do that myself. I'd probably short it out & catch my plane on fire. I like realistic special effects but that would be a one shot deal!

Greg

Old 04-02-2013, 04:39 PM
Eindecker_pilot

Jim
I bet your Gotha could handle 5lbs & not even notice!

Greg
Old 04-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Tmoth4

ORIGINAL: Eindecker_pilot

I bet your Gotha could handle 5lbs & not even notice!

Greg
That's true, and wouldn't it be really cool to have the sounds of two guns firing?
Old 04-03-2013, 03:02 AM
Teus

ORIGINAL: Eindecker_pilot

I like realistic special effects but that would be a one shot deal!
Well, start savings Greg

It can't be better than this: [link=http://www.inzpan.com/product_p/305026.htm]Microgun[/link]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AYDtS-H1-Y[/youtube]

Teus
Old 04-03-2013, 04:54 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! And only 523 Euros!!!
Old 10-08-2013, 04:40 AM
Model Sounds Inc

Originally Posted by Tmoth4
That's true, and wouldn't it be really cool to have the sounds of two guns firing?
Our ShockWave sound system can play up to four sounds simultaneously so you can have the engine and two guns firing at the same time.

David Harrison
CEO
Model Sounds Inc.