Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Ron Weiss 1/3 Fokker DVIII

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Ron Weiss 1/3 Fokker DVIII

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 11:02 AM
vdubman2002
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ron Weiss 1/3 Fokker DVIII

I have one of these hand cut from the old "Aeroplane Works" in Martinsville, NJ. The cutting/parts/wood all look to be SUPERB. I aquired this kit from the original buyer as he opted out of doing the build... sooooo,

Was wondering if anyone might have a comment on this kit and/or how well it goes together, as well as the flying impressions. I am currently flying the BUSA 1/4 DVIII w/G26 and like it a lot! ( it has it's quirks for sure!, but once those were figured out, it's a dream ) Anyway,

I have a Quadra 75 slated for power in the Weiss DVIII, which according to the plans will be quite ample as well as helping with the balance/CG, probably without having to add weight to achieve CG... a plus I would think! I am considering this for my "winter project" and really wanted to get some input from anyone that has built and/or flown this particular model. Hopefully I will get a response or two!, and THANKS in advance for taking the time!

vdubman2002/TP
Old 09-12-2009, 03:34 PM
vdubman2002

Default RE: Ron Weiss 1/3 Fokker DVIII

140 views but not a single comment? Hmmm... I have been researching the Weiss 1/3 DVIII and what I'm finding is... very little to nothing!! Should I assume that this model isn't all that popular... or ... perhaps it was designed back in a time where not many guys were willing to cut out ALL THOSE PARTS, which believe me, I can certainly understand!! The kit I have is again, hand cut by "The Aeroplane Works", and back at LEAST 8 years ago, although the cutting and quality of the wood is SUPERB! Still... I have to wonder WHY there are no comments either for or against. Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? :-D

vdubman2002/TP
Old 09-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

We had the first I have seen fly at the Hoosier Dawn Patrol this year. I was impressed with it. I have the 1/4 scale from BUSA and like the aeroplane. I thought it flew and handled well enough to put on my build list. There are pictures of it posted on the HDP thread in this forum.
steve
Old 09-12-2009, 05:07 PM
vdubman2002

Hello Steve!...

... and THANK YOU for checking in and your comments! I did in fact visit the HDP thread previously... ( only wish I lived closer as I would attend! ) ... and did see the 1/3 DVIII and was indeed wondering if it was a Weiss plans model... now I know that it is! Any way/chance you might be able to supply me with the pilot's name/email? If that were possible it would be superb! I want to mention that ALL the aircraft at the HDP were quite excellent, and the photgraphy... well, incredible. Also,

I have been flying a BUSA 1/4 DVIII for the past couple seasons too, and I like it a lot. There were some "quirks"... ( typical incidence concerns ) ... but I kept working with it and flying it and got them all worked out. I'll try and attach a pic to this post for viewing, and while the color scheme I chose is NOT SCALE, it is what I felt "could have easily been" had the war continued with pilots adding personal color/bits to their respective aircraft. I have a scheme all picked out for the Weiss 1/3 DVIII though, and this time it WILL BE scale! ( should I end up building it that is! )

vdubman2002/TP

PS: Needless to say, my DVIII is the black/white in the foreground with my friends in the background. They are both BUSA models. BUSA is using this picture in their catalog, and I was flattered for sure!, but again... the color scheme is my interpretation of what COULD HAVE been!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52539.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	1273821  
Old 09-12-2009, 07:22 PM
jumpinjan

My brother & I have the Weiss plans, but we are going to use foam & aluminum tube spars for the wing. For the fuselage, I was thinking of using aluminum tube and TIG the tube clusters together. We have a DA50 engine available for it too.
Jan
Old 09-17-2009, 08:50 PM
wings2an3
My Feedback: (1)

This was one of the last kits that Chuck Gill had cut. Flys great, powered with a FPE 52,(scale like flying) a 75 will be great and you will need less added lead.
Don't force off the ground on take off and keep the speed up on landing. In the air its like any other plane. I'm building another from a short kit which will be powered with a Q75.
This one is getting a sheeted wing and making some other mods. Bending my own wire and using a heavier axel, built the one piece wing version again(big surf board) and have not decided on the colors. The other photo is my 1/3 scale DVII, all hand painted.

Name:	Nl28964.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1277245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24358.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	1277246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93368.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	1277247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84937.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	1277248  
Old 09-17-2009, 08:58 PM
wings2an3

Better shots of the painted pattern.

Name:	Xv63368.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	1277250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34673.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	1277251  
Old 09-17-2009, 11:45 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey wings..glad to see another member of the LOZENGE PAINTERS GUILD on the forums

I did some hard time on the paint brush with a 1/4 D7...

I sure like the D8, but have yet to see a nice one up close..or even fly well. I have known 2 people that had issues with the 1/4 BUSA version...

I HAVE to ask...what are those blotchs on the rudder?
Old 09-18-2009, 05:38 PM
wings2an3

DVII covered with koverall, nitrate dope, then Nelson paint. Had a dead stick off the main runway slightly higher grass and no roll out, flip over on the tail/rudder. Repaired without removing the fabric, and used bullet whole and power residue for effects.

Name:	Ki18127.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	1277687  
Old 09-18-2009, 05:40 PM
wings2an3

Photos of DVIII no.2

Name:	Ge94917.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1277688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81585.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	1277689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99063.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	312.2 KB
ID:	1277690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv59086.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	1277691  
Old 09-18-2009, 07:05 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kawabunga! Surfs up, dude! [8D]
Old 09-18-2009, 09:30 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow, I had no sense of the size of that thing until it was sitting on the counter...
Old 09-18-2009, 11:19 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

I don't know much about it, but Glenn Torrence just released a 1/3 scale kit of the D-VIII.
steve
Old 09-19-2009, 06:25 AM
vdubman2002

wings2an3!...

THANKS for chiming in on this post as I was hoping that you would! Again, I want to mention that I have a Chuck Gill cut kit of the Weiss 1/3 DVIII and wanted to know a bit more about it prior to commiting to the build. I have been flying my BUSA 1/4 DVIII for two years now and like it a lot!... it does indeed require one's attention on take-off/landing, but once in the air... GREAT! It would appear that the Weiss DVIII is no different in that regard, which makes sense as it is in essence the same plane, only larger. Needless to say,

GREAT job on yours!, and the pics of your 2nd one under construction were great to see too! Interestingly, I had already decided that I am going to SHEET the wing on mine as well, although I will be doing the wing in halves as transportation of a 9' "surf board" will be a problem! I am going to modify the joining system though as techniques/materials have changed a bit since Ron designed this back in '93. Structural integrity won't be compromised at all. Interesting reagrding the beefing up of the axle on the undercarriage, and I shall do the same as you already have the experience with the load it is subjected to on take-off/landing. As mentioned, I have a Quadra 75 slated for installation in this plane, neat that you are using the same in your 2nd model! My research has supplied just what I was looking for regarding the build/flight of this model. Between you and another great guy that Steve Percifield put me in touch with, well... let the building begin! Here's a pic of my 1/4 DVIII out on patrol...

vdubman2002/TP

Name:	Cz79897.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	1278071  
Old 09-19-2009, 03:18 PM
wings2an3

Kit offered in two versions. Full cockpit detail and every scale item you can think about for aprox. $1200. Less scale detail $1000. You can get square stock or dowl stock for the fuselage, same price. GTM kits are primo.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:00 AM
rcnats
My Feedback: (56)

I got one too! I got a set of Ron Weis plans and had a short kit cut by Alex Guzman of A&M Models. I mentioned to him that I would be making the wing two-piece and he cut wing tube holes in all the ribs for me! He even cut the spars as one piece instead of built up. All this for $200.00!!! I will be using a FPE 4.2 to power it. Time to gather so wood and clear off the building table!. I'll be following you as well. As you said, "Let the building begin!"
Old 06-17-2010, 04:36 PM
jlsimon
My Feedback: (164)

Hello all. I too, got a set of plans for the Weiss D8 a while back. After attending Rhinebeck, Warbirds over DE and recently Warbirds over Long Island, it became apparent, third scale was the way to go. And seeing how well the D8 flies, it seemed like a great choice. So after pulling out the plans again and studying them, I was curious what is the best way to build the wings? I am finishing a BUSA D8 currently and it doesn't appear you don't build the wing in the same way. Considering that the Ron Weiss' version has the spar on the inside of the ribs (as opposed to BUSA's with the spars on the perimeter of the rib) how do you start the layout of the wing and keep everything straight? Do you have to jig up the spar and then position the ribs or do you build it more traditionally with everything pinned down flat on the table? Look forward to following this build! Thanks,
Jerry
Old 10-28-2010, 11:43 AM
vibi08

Hello,

Your Fokker DVIII is looking very good. I just started to build one from Ron Weiss plan and using a kit that was cut by Precision Cut but the whole kit is almost useless and i have to redesign all the wing and many parts are not fitting . I think that they dont understand the plan or they never try to put all this together.

I build the fuselage from the plan but again, the plan is not very clear and has a lot of mistakeor missing information. Did you encounter the same problem with your plan while building it?

I have to improvise a lot to build the plane but so far, it is going well after i redesign most of it. I think i should make a kit out of it... . One thing i can say is that i build the whole wing in three evenings. The wing is made of three part but can be build in two as well. I did this to be capable of removing the outer wing panels while keeping the center area stay attached to the struts. My only concern is how will it fit into my car. This wing was made of lite ply but if i build another one, it will be all balsa to reduce weight

I will try to post some pictures tonigth.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:40 PM
robster1
My Feedback: (37)

I see that this thread was going on long ago. I just started my Ron Wiess 1/3rd scale DVIII, and was wondering, why the cowl former was out away from the fuse on the bottom. There would be no way to cover the gap. Don't have the money to build the....whatever you call em... on the side of the fuse and then sheet, so I will use just a simple former from theout side edge of the cowl former which will go down to zero along the side. I did this on my Tri-plane and it ended up beautifull. On the bottom, from the front of the cowl former which sticks out at a right angle from the fuse I am going to put a wedge, which will trail off to nothing. Thats all I can come up with. It will be similar to the one down the side. I am not going for contests, just want a big flying bird. any thing you can tell me about the beefing up of certain areas will be greatly appreciated. I am an old school kit and scratch builder, and I still cut out every piece. It is by far, the cheapest way for me to still afford to get one of these girls made and in the air. If there is an incidence issue, I need to know before I bend my wires. I could use shims, but I would rather build the incidence in.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:11 PM
vibi08

The bottom of the firewall should be flush with the bottom of the fuselage. So there should be a flat on the bottom
Old 04-05-2012, 02:17 PM
vibi08

here is a picture showing the bottom of the firewall

Name:	Bz77620.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1747119  
Old 04-05-2012, 02:19 PM
vibi08

Concerning the incidence, i build some kind of fixture to hold the wing in place while i was making the rod.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:20 PM
robster1
My Feedback: (37)

I just wonder if the wing incidence is zero, or a couple of degree's positive. Also, it doesn't say anything about down or right thrust, so I am going with 2 degree's down thrust and 1 degree right. I will be using a JC engines 51cc. I was going to use a ryobi 31, but my gut tells me it will be way under powered, and a 18in. prop wont do the trick. Plans call for a 22/8, but I think I will use a 24/6. I am not worried about how fast she will fly, as to how much "wash" I get to go around that huge cowl. I liked your photo. Mine is flat in the front like yours and it is flush. But the way the cowl ring stuck out past the square fuse sides had me bewildered, so I cut a wedge, or a really long skinny trianglefrom the cowl formeron the bottom that trails down the side and tapers off flush with the side. I know it is not true to scale, but it was the only way I could figure out to cover that bottom corner area. I whish I knew how to post a picture with my reply. I would show you. All in all, it will have a nice round effect to the sides. On the wing, I would like to make a center section that stays mounted to the fuse, and then add the wings on each side to it. But I need a good idea for securing them to it. I built a Ziroli Dauntless a couple of years back, but they want alot of money for a aluminum tube and sleeve. A 9ft 3in wing wont fit in my full size truck, unless it sticks out the back. I built a 1/3rd scale DR-1, white and black solartex, and the wing on top is 8ft and fits in the truck. It has a 100cc on it. On that plan set, the cowl former met the fuselage at that bottom front corner, and had no issues. I know I ask for alot, but does the wheel plane match the wing incidence? Thanks for your help.... It is appreciated. Robert
Old 04-06-2012, 03:43 AM
vibi08

For the wing incidence, i measure on the drawing and the bottom of the wing is zero but the mean aerodynamic chord is at 4.25 degrees.

I use a 3W75 engine on this plane to help for balancing. I made a complete redesign of the whole plane because there were many things i did not like on the drawing. Making a 3d model makemeverything in line and the assembly of the new parts went very well.

I also redesign the wing in three parts. I use a 1.25 diameter aluminium tube to holdemthe wing and i have 4 1/4-20 nylon bolts to secure the wing. They are installed via 4 small hatch located in the outer wing panels. There are smallmhatch cover maintain by 2 small screws for each cover. I will post some pictures of the wing

By the way, if you want to post pictures, it is easy. When replying to a post, on the bottom of the reply window where you write, you will see two comments and one say click here to upload image and files. Cick on that link and then you will be able to select files one by one. You can also use the other option multi upload.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:13 AM
vibi08

Robert,
here are some picture of my Fokker DVIII. as i mentionned before, it is a complete redesign of the Ron Weiss plan so there may be some parts that you will not find in its plan. I did this design with the intention of making a kit out of it but it is not finalized yet.

Name:	Ay76170.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1747281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33131.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	1747282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19281.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	1747283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg98929.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	1747284  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.