Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Giant Scale P 51 Mustang and A6M Zero Flight Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV99zWZ1NsA

At PlaneVideoArt Productions we like to set new standards in model aviation videos. This video was developed using our newest video production software and the latest in computer generated 3D video graphics technology. We would like to thank our Ace Warbird Pilots Tim Cardin and Brian Young for their time in helping us produce a new level in model aviation video.

Please Enjoy!

PlaneVideoArt Productions

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Giant Scale P 51 Mustang and A6M Zero Flight Video

The new graphics are good! But I will make one comment. In all your videos I always notice something weird happening with the spinning props. They appear to stop at times, or rotate backwards, all the usual visual tricks of spinning hubcaps. It makes the props look like a pin-wheel. Maybe this is just a "real world" reality, but I find it a bit distracting and haven't noticed it on other RC videos I've watched. Could this have something to do with the "shutter speed" (or whatever the equivalent is) of the camera you're using?

Maybe I'm just completely wrong on this. But it's something I seem to see on each of your videos (and it's particularly noticeable in slow motion shots or when the engine is turning at lower RPMs).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You're going to hate me for saying this, but, "know your audience" when posting scale videos in this thread. This was nothing special. Nothing you can't see anyday of the week at Supelveda Basin (Van Nuys,Ca.) I suppose these pilots are good warbird pilots, however, they fly way too fast!....SLOW DOWN, you're flying at a scale speed of mach 1.5 and pulling a scale 50g's in the turns and that Zero's "vertical pull" yikes! [X(]

I've seen Brian fly at Scale Masters, Hemet-07, so I know he is capable of more realistic flying.

As far as the "video"....well I agree with abufletcher, slow the camera shutter speed down so you're not freezing the prop. It's too distracting...When I read your discription for this video, I thought I was going to see something really unique, maybe a mix of B&W , sepia (sorry abu), muted color,grainy or something akin to WWII movies. Maybe sound effects or dubbed over voice tracks of F.D.R's "infamy" speech. But, I was let down.[]

The reason I say "Know your audience" is, we will view your videos with a discriminating eye. After all, we fly scale not ultrasports.

Sorry if this was too harsh,but you asked
    ~kensaeroden.com~
    Producer of model airplane calendars~\"Masters of SCALE R/C\" new for 2014

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi guys,

It's all good. The prop issue is a hard one, if you want clear HD video you need to shoot at the higher speeds which will freeze the prop. If you look a any movie of the old west you will see this happen. It's a damed if you do damed if you don't thing. Other videos may not show this issue due to the point and shoot fuctions on the consumer level gear but the video quality well be lower. Adding special effects to the videos I have done and I get just as many people saying take them out and just show us the plane as it is. So here again your damed if you do, damed if you don't. It's all art at the end of the game and everyone has their likes and dislikes. We always try to do better on each video.

Six

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dont listen to the neh sayers... that video was COOOOOLLLLL!!!!!! Both planes are AWESOME! The video production itself is very good! The transitions are good. The background images are good. Music, good. I want to see more!!!! If you truly love planes and RC how could you complain? Or get sick of seeing HD videos of some purty planes????

Would changing the prop to get higher/lower RPMs help with the recording rate problem? What about 3-4 blade prop? Yes I know this would change how it flies,,, I'm just asking for the sole purpose of the record rate problem.

If these guys where to take HD quality and record at higher FPS (not taking into account the cost of equipment that CAN do that),,, they wouldn't be able to post it on you tube because the file would be orders of GIGABYTES.

so when do we get to see more??????
    Team Jesus Freak
    Yup you can love God AND airplanes... life is great
    Vet USAF B52 Crew Chief 00-04

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks aerofly0610 for the kind words! Everyone has a right to comment, I did ask for feedback. It's all good and we listen to the pros and cons on our feedback. That's how we get better in the long run.

Thanks for watching!

Six

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: At_Your_Six
    The prop issue is a hard one, if you want clear HD video you need to shoot at the higher speeds which will freeze the prop. If you look a any movie of the old west you will see this happen.
    Maybe. But Paul, who is clearly a pro as RC video, occasionally shoots something besides jets ( ) and I don't notice this in his videos. Also, while this effect might be glimpsed in "old-timey" camera work, it's not seen in any Hollywood aviation movies. So there must be a solution with high end equipment.

Adding special effects to the videos I have done and I get just as many people saying take them out and just show us the plane as it is.
    This is always a tough call. I'd say that 90% of good video art is good editing (which depends of good shooting) and 9% good music (involving more good editing). The other 1% is special effects.

But I applaud your efforts and your stuff is clearly a cut above.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

On the Paul Reese subject, we will see how his video turns out from his work at Wings Over Chino this weekend. It's all warbirds he will be shooting so we will see if the "PRO" has a solution to the prop spinning issue. The issue can be corrected if you want a less clear image and slow down the shutter speed. This all depends on light levels at the time your shooting and if you can lower the CCD's gain level without killing your color temps.

Six

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: At_Your_Six
    ...slow down the shutter speed.
    As a photographer (rather than a videographer) I've never really understood what "shutter speed" means on a video camera. Is there actually a shutter blade that travels in front of the CCD? If so, I assume it travels horizontally across the frame and that's where the problem arises.

Anyway, it's just something I have noticed each time in your videos. It happens to bug me, but may not bother others. BTW, a related problem is the old "rubber prop" syndrome that plagues both video and still photographers (as seen in this photo I took a couple of days ago).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw68760.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	1308657  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Regarding the issue of shutter speed; I'm coming from over twenty-five years of airshow and model airplane photography (stills mostly and only about a hundred hours of video).
    With that said, I've learned that most people prefer some propeller blur even at the expense of a "tack-sharp" image. With a "still" picture of any airplane, I belive it's more pleasing with prop motion (no "dead stick" fly-bys). And with video, shoot just fast enough (shutter speed) to minimize camera shake. If you shoot too fast, then eveything will be in focus (on a clear day) including the backround, which is distracting and visually competing with your subject. ie; a low pass panning shot, zoomed in tight, with mountains in the backround.
    I prefer a good pan-blur action shot over having EVERTHING sharp. But that's me.

I applaud your desire to produce the best R/C videos (BEST is subjective) around. So far I like what I've seen except this lastest one. I do realize you can't please everyone

Several years ago I had this same conversation with Clay Lacy and Bob Hoover, and they also prefer prop blur on videos of planes "in action". This was back when High 8 cameras came out and people were shooting on the "action setting" which made the prop on a mustang, at speed, look like the rotor speed of a Bell "Huey"

Try not to get too absorbed by the latest and greatest technical gadgetry on these "High-end" cameras at the expense of good cinematography. I'll take substance and story-telling over technical prowess and style=fluff any day. But that's just me.

Regards, Ken
    ~kensaeroden.com~
    Producer of model airplane calendars~\"Masters of SCALE R/C\" new for 2014

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RC is about the people...the models are just the eye candy. That's where the heart of the story is.
    And the heart of this story is at a frame rate of 60 and below. All color grading and correction is done in post!
    Paul

Should be a good event. Especially with a logo this nice

Yeah, I use mixing... Balsa & Dirt.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

All good information here! Yes, these are all good issues to have posted here. It's a fine line that we all try to keep in balance and that's why I like the subject. When you get it all working, the rewards are great. Hi Paul, I hope you have good hunting out a Chino this weekend! I look forward to seeing your video work out there! I saw the T-shirt last weekend, good job!

Six

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, yes, nice logo. But where's the WEATHERING on those shiny, shiny planes! And I want to see some grunge on those chrome letters too!

I agree with your general approach to focus on the people not on the event. When I go to festivals here in Japan I rarely take more than a snap or two of the "scheduled events." Instead, I'm always looking for things happening in the crowd and around the periphery of the event itself. For example, a shot of a troupe of dancers getting ready to dance is often much more interesting than a shot of those dancers doing their routine on stage (in front of dozens people with cameras all essentially snapping the same thing).

That being said, I think I'd prefer a mix of about 90% planes and 10% people in any RC video I buy (or just watch on YouTube). For me, as a modeler, it's really more about the models. And I feel I'm never getting enough about the models themselves. And not just shot after shot of fly-bys.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: abufletcher

Well, yes, nice logo. But where's the WEATHERING on those shiny, shiny planes! And I want to see some grunge on those chrome letters too!
    How 'bout instead of showing you all that dirt, I just show you the budget for doing this logo instead

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Stang in that logo is Chino-based "Lady Alice" and is absolutely spotless, so ancillary weathering would be incorrect.
    Don't know about the cheezy Bonanza though, I just imagined a proud and meticulous aircraft owner when conceptualizing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Budget for producing this recreation of the German Integral propeller decal (used in the CD book below): Zero. Nada. Zip. Bupkis.

Edit: But everything worked out fine.

Name:	Ca80478.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	1308849  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That sounds like a negotiation issue to me. Was there any?[:'(]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Paul, don't say your working for free? A man with all your talent should be making the BIG bucks on a design like that.

Six

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SDCrashmaster
    Well, to be fair and honest, I was just making it for my own purposes and then I asked Bob a few questions and we started collaborating on the details (i.e. I'd send him a version and he suggest what wasn't quite right according to his extensive research). In the end, he was so impressed that he asked if he could use it my "recreation" since a good quality photo of an original Integral decal wasn't available. I suppose I was just pleased and honored.

Anyway, it all worked out. Last night I sent him an email and being an upright and honest chap (as one imagine anyone with a dedicated interest in something as specific as WWI propeller decals would be), he happily agreed to send me a copy. Which is all I want (or would expect).

There's a good reason I'm an English professor and not a businessman.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nope, no freebie's. But plenty of RC-related work done more for the "love of the game" than for the "show me the money".
    Thankfully, there are real-world clients for that

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, to be fair and honest, I was just making it for my own purposes...
    Tough to get coinage for something you weren't commissioned to do.
    Although plenty of stock photo houses do...every day, all day.

And the guy collaborated with you so that it was correct on your cool scaled-down prop.
    The least you could do is give him the artwork and the rights to go and make money off of it...don't be selfish

Did you get a credit/mention in the book. That, and a copy of the book is probably all you'd need to be happy.
    Some thing's you do 'cause it feels good doin' it.

I'm thinkin' this was one of 'em.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

And the guy collaborated with you so that it was correct on your cool scaled-down prop.
    The least you could do is give him the artwork and the rights to go and make money off of it...don't be selfish
    Exactly. When hobby activities start turning into business, it becomes...well...work!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Exactly. When hobby activities start turning into business, it becomes...well...work!
    Tell me about it
    I curse the day I came up with the attached brilliant idea.

Name:	Ki20543.gif 
Views:	9 
Size:	257.7 KB 
ID:	1309153  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have deep buried belief that NO ONE should be able to buy work of that quality, no matter how deep the desirous buyer's pockets are! Either you can do it yourself...or you can't have it on your model! But I suppose that's the world of art. Even artists have to make a living.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Scott, here is a little sample of something Paul did this past year. http://www.ca-jets.com/Theater/09movie/CAJets09_Lrg.wmv

I can not wait to see what Paul creates with the amount of footage his crew shot all weekend.

BTW Scott, Check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeV13PdJzlw It was shot with pro equipment, and the prop looks a little better. One thought on getting rid of the "stopping" of the prop would be to find a better frame rate?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast