Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Favourite Scale Models in Flight

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Favourite Scale Models in Flight

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 02:45 PM
mark fadely

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Favourite Scale Models in Flight

Hi Neil,

Yes, the filter is the slot near the camera end of the lens. Canon sells a filter holder that replaces the original piece. It has a ring that accepts 52mm screw-in filters. Many 52mm filters are available. The circular polarizer is an all-in-one unit that has a thumb tab on the top so you can turn the filter around while it is inside the lens body.

Mark
Old 11-14-2010, 05:30 PM
xcead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all, who knows the name of this airplane??? It's one of the nicest!!
Old 11-14-2010, 06:22 PM
NeilHutch

Hi Xcead,

The aircraft is a Super Steerman. The model is built from the BalsaUSA kit.

TTFN,
Neil
Old 12-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Tango Juliet

Wow guys! Some great, great shots. I haven't been over here on RCU in a while and I've missed so much.

Mark - Love the SeaKing shot! Getting the proper blade blur on R/C heli's isn't easy as they spin so darn fast.

Neil - My favorite has to be the shot of the D-VII being chased by the Camel, with the Fokeer in the forground and the Camel slightly OOF behind. It really gives the feel of a heart-pounding, fly or die duel.

I rented a 300mm 2.8 last spring when I went to Joe Nall. I loved it, but I found it too bulky for my taste, although it produced some great images. I kept having to back up to shoot the things I wanted. I suppose if I didn't have the flight line access I had, and was shooting from behind the spectators, it would've been the perfect lens, but I found myself wanting the 70-200 f2.8.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Oberst
Banned

Mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlgnW9D_CbI

Pete
Old 01-03-2011, 02:36 PM
NeilHutch

Hi All,

Been a while since I had some fresh materiel to post, but now have some new stuff. Barkston Heath's Christmas Bash (which ended up a week late because of the inclement weather here in the UK) Day turned out very good - cold, but some excellent models & flying .

TTFN,
Neil
Old 01-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Tango Juliet

Excellent work as always Neil. By chance, is the Mig from Australia? There was one being built on RCScaleBuilder.com that was a very large model.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:43 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Wow Neil, Thank you!
Old 01-03-2011, 02:56 PM
NeilHutch

Hi Guys,

Whow, That was quick work[8D]

TJ - not really sure where the Mig came from, but I think its an import from China (where else????). Its an ARF composite model & that's about as much as I know. I'm going to do a photo shoot over at Barkston - when the weather improves - if it ever improves![&o] So, I'll find out more info on it then & let you know. The model is crying out for some good weathering & getting rid of that shiny surface. It flies on rails & looked superb in the air. Would be great to see an F-86 in the air with it at the same time.

Happy New Year to you all,
Neil
Old 01-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Tango Juliet

Actually I was referring to the prop model. I thought it was a MiG design from WWII, but I could have the wrong design bureau.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:08 PM
hairy46

Happy New Year Neil! That will be great! keep posting I am such a big fan of your work! One day you have to come over and do the War-birds over the Rockies event, Neil we do so much thank you for posting your work on this tread, Have a great year and bless you and yours across the pond!

My girlfriend told me if I gave up RC airplanes I would have time for other things, WHAT OTHER THINGS?
Old 01-03-2011, 09:45 PM
georgewaldrop
My Feedback: (28)

TJ,

I think what you are refering to is the Lavochkin...looks like an LA7? NICE fotos Neil!
Old 01-04-2011, 04:25 AM
Tango Juliet

Yep, that's it George. I knew it was a 7, but for the life of me I couldn't remember Lavochkin. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:28 AM
abufletcher

Great photos....but I just have to get this off my chest...WHAT'S WITH SKINNY TIRES ON ALL THOSE WWI BRITISH MODELS??? IT LOOKS RIDICULOUS!

There. I feel better now.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:45 AM
NeilHutch

Hi Fletch,

Better get this one posted quick before you blow a gasket I've haven't had time to do more, back to work after the Christmas break

Happy New Year to you,
Neil
Old 01-04-2011, 07:56 PM
abufletcher

Hmm...aren't those wheels a bit small?
Old 01-04-2011, 07:59 PM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: NeilHutch

Hi Fletch,

Better get this one posted quick before you blow a gasket I
The super skinny tires that you see on most of the 1/3 scale Dawn Patrol models is one of my pet peeves. I assume these are all from the Mick Reeves wheel kits, but really the proportion of the tire thickness to hub diameter is WAY off.

You know, I'm starting to believe that even that lousy British weather makes for better model photography! The muted colors on the inbound and outbound La-7 couldn't be more appealing.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:09 AM
NeilHutch

Hi Guys,

Fletch; don't shot the messenger I wouldn't know whether those tyres are scale or not - I just snap the piccies. I get those muted colours quite easily - I set the cameras colour balance to Auto White Balance (AWB) then depending on whether I want a soft warm or cold backdrop I change the colour balance in Photoshop. In those pictures I wanted cold background colours so I set colour balance to daylight. If I'd wanted warmer, softer colours I'd have gone for either shade or cloudy settings. The other thing, I was was shooting all day at ISO400 & the aperture never got above f5.6 - at least I can't remembering seeing it any higher - so the distant background is well & truly out of focus.

See what you think of the first one - I took the picture with the x2 lens converter on, but it was far to dark. However I took 4 pictures just see what would happen. The picture was quite dark, but interesting. I wanted to keep an early morning dawn patrol feeling to it, so haven't done much work to the picture.

The above picture shows how poor the light really was & this picture was taken at the best part of the day

TTFN,
Neil
Old 01-08-2011, 09:34 AM
hairy46

This sure has been the best thread, Have loved the pictures! I hope other start posting again. Thanks Neil you are my guy with the camera hero!
Old 01-15-2011, 03:23 PM
NeilHutch

Hi All,

Not had much to do so I thought I'd alter a few pictures - just for the fun of it[8D]

TTFN,
Neil
Old 01-15-2011, 03:42 PM
Tango Juliet

Boy! That Lanc's the bees knees and the B/W treatment serves it well. LightRoom3 has a few presets in it for B/W conversions and Sepia tones and a few others. There's one in particular that gives an image that vintage '60-'70's color snapshot look that would make that Vulcan really pop.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:07 AM
NeilHutch

Hi All,

Whow, this took some finding - didn't realize how long ago since I posted any pictures on here[&o]

& yes it was THAT close!!!

I now have a Flickr Page which has all my model & full size aircraft pictures on it - well a lot of them still putting more on

TTFN,
Neil
Old 04-05-2011, 06:21 AM
Tango Juliet

Great to see more of your work Neil. Are you shooting any fill-flash in those? Or just using Exposure Compensation? The aircraft have brilliant color and tonal range, but the backgrounds are generally dark and dull.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:38 AM
NeilHutch

Hi TJ,

No, I don't use flash at all. I do use the EV, sometimes. I'm still getting used to the Canon 1D iv - bloody superb piece of kit, really pleased with it.

As for the dark background, I think a lot of that is down to our British weather, giving that sort of lighting. I was also using a super fast lens which probably enhances the situation, too. I was also using a polarizing filter as well - well certainly when it was bright enough. Those filters are amazing. The picture below really shows what a good polarizing filter will do. Apologies that its the real stuff & not models but it shows how even it depth of winter with our watery British sky the filter brings out the colours. Picture was taken mid February.

& I guess I need to compensate with a few model pics.

TTFN,
Neil
Old 04-14-2011, 03:27 AM
fromadvisor

OMG!.... For some time I have been saving pictures of airplanes for my computer background and screen saver. I think that like half of photos are yours. The photos are excellent. Superb!. Only one thing .... too much warbird .... I would like to see variety of 3D, F3A, and old school models [sm=thumbup.gif].... but again .... great photos ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.