Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: CORBY STARLET BY CHRIS WHITE

Well, that 'splains that.

Jim[8D]
    J.M. Surra, author of AERODYNAMIC and
    T.I.T.O.R. - In early July of 1947, something crashed in Roswell, New Mexico. . .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Jim

I used to use loctite and maybe tried CA to stop the servor screw falling out, but many years ago a mate of mine suggested silicone instead,its just enough to stop it coming undone but still allows you to do it up tighten enough to be secure. I have used this method on both metal and nylon shaft servoes of both futaba or JR.
    Hope this helps...

Regards

CHRIS WHITE

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi chris, i purchased a corby from tates a while ago and powered it with magnum 180 4s as recomended, a fellow at our club had one with a 50cc petrol and he said it needed that sort of power but after flying it
    with the magnum i can say that it is one of the best flying planes we have ever flown, tracked straight and very aerobatic, the kit quality was first rate and i think i will buy another as a spare, so far no issues with
    the covering, well done!!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Michael,

Thankyou for your kind words. I am always happy to see others flying the model,with regard to engine size I think it gets down to personal taste. I have only ever flown the ARF version with the Magnum 180 as you have done. My scale version which is the same model size but the weight is 25 pounds (much heaver) it has a FS 300 Flat twin which I think is 48cc. The scale version needs the extra power but I think the ARF version is happy on the FS180 or maybe even the OS 200FS would be nice. I had 3 proto types until I was happy with the production version and the covering was only a problem on the first model,it was fixed after that. I just love the way the model takes off,so easy. Once again thankyou

Regards

CHRIS WHITE

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chris
    I know that feeling, as I produced Super Decathlons in series, first the 30% scale and later the 35% scale. The 30% is designed around the 50cc engine, I powered mine with a FUJI BT50-EI. Many different engines were used by the customers, and there were some overkillers, like a 3W85B2. One asked if a DLE-111 would fit (obviously not, except with a lot of cheaterholes in the cowl).
    Therefore I enlarged the design to 35% where now any 100-150cc twin will fit. Then again one customer is installing a DA-85 in the 35% as he believes anything over that will be non-scale...

Back to the Corby Starlet - where you ever able to locate your orginal plans? I mean, I have a very complete file on the Starlet, with drawings of the full-scale structure, which is easy to replicate, however if there was a full size model plan to start with, even doing mods and enlargin on a copier, it would be nice...

I am sure this one will be an eyecatcher at any field, both on the ground and in the air.
    This is the FullSize I am thinking of replicating (see photos)...

Marcus
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sq46652.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	642.5 KB 
ID:	1690136   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xs57732.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	737.5 KB 
ID:	1690137   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pu50068.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	1690138   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fz73103.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	1690139  
    A good landing is one you could walk away from. A spectacular landing is when the airplane is reusable...!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Magnificent paint job. First one I've seen that I like as well as the yellow and white.

For a moment I thought the last photo was of a tan variation of the same paint scheme, but a closer look showed it to be the same plane. Must have been a low-light shot or the light playing tricks.

Jim
    T.I.T.O.R. - In early July of 1947, something crashed in Roswell, New Mexico. . .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In Time: I just learned that this plane crashed last December, and unfortunately the pilot, "El flaco Bilbao" ("Skinny" Bilbao, the builder/pilot) died in the hospital a few hours later.
    A reason more to build the model as a tribute to the pilot.

And yes, the last pic is probably taken in the late afternoon sun of the argentinean pampas (prairies) which made for that tan effect on the white surface. I liked the simple yet eyecatching trim.

Marcus
    A good landing is one you could walk away from. A spectacular landing is when the airplane is reusable...!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Kellermann
    Back to the Corby Starlet - where you ever able to locate your orginal plans? I mean, I have a very complete file on the Starlet, with drawings of the full-scale structure, which is easy to replicate, however if there was a full size model plan to start with, even doing mods and enlargin on a copier, it would be nice...
    Traplet in the UK offer plans by Dennis Tapsfield for a Starlet of about 80 inches span. Mr. Tapsfield's plans are held in relatively high regard and I believe the airplane is quite accurate to scale. I also have plans for an 82 inch version of my own but I have stretched the fuselage just slightly to relieve some of the effects of the short coupling on flight (and landing) performance. While I have never finished my plans to what I would consider a marketable standard everything needed to build the airplane is shown and should not pose any problems for an experienced scratch builder.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Chad
    I guess we are repeating ourselves around here, I had seen your drawings before, nevertheless, my question is: are these plans drawn in CAD or Corel Draw? Would you mind sending me a copy of the file so I can enlarge and modify to suit? I am not intending to go commercial with this plane...
    Perhaps I give up the planned humongous scale version and settle for a small(er) version like yours...could even be electric-powered.

These plans look VERY good!

Marcus

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Marcus,

The plans are CAD drawn but I can offer them in various file types including some that should work with Corel if that is what you need. (Actually, won't the new versions of Corel read a .dwg or .dxf anyway?) Send me an email at the addy below and let me know what kind of files you can work with and I will send you the plans.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: lettaviation

I probably have asked this before but, does anyone know if the 38% Corby Starlet ARF is being imported to the USA again?

John

Have a NIB Corby 38% Starlet that I would like to sell. Live in the Los Angeles area and would prefer to sell it to someone in the area.

Gil

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chad Veich
    If you're into sharing, I could use a PDF of what I just saw.
    roningram@vabb.com will get it to me.
    Excuse me if I'm mistaken.
    RD
    Th\'\' Roaddog
    Montross, Va

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bill:

I live in Stockton which is South of Sacramento on I-5. This is somewhat in your area. What are you asking for the plane?

John L.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gil:

Sorry, I called you Bill. (too much wine at the pre-Thanksgiving lunch)!

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chad you can send it to my email info@marcusmodelfactory.com - yes I believe Corel Draw opens dxf files.
    Thanks in advance
    Marcus

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: lettaviation

Bill:

I live in Stockton which is South of Sacramento on I-5. This is somewhat in your area. What are you asking for the plane?

John L.

Price is $250 plus shipping cost, but I would lower the price if I didn't have to go through the effort of shipping it. Not even sure how to ship the large box it comes in safely.

John, would you like to visit LA and fly at a great airfield http://www.valleyflyers.com/?

It's only a few miles south of Stockton.

Gil

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gil:

Let's talk off line. Please e-mail me at lettaviation@aol.com

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For all those interested, here's the HP of "El flaco Bilbao" - building and finishing the CJ-1 LV-X277 which I am intending to replicate.
    http://www.aracuan.com.ar/corby.htm

Unfortunately, as reported before, the plane crashed on Dec. 6, 2010 and the builder/pilot did not resist to injuries of the crash.
    According to witnesses, he was circling at low altitude over a private field when the left wing touched ground and the plane cartwheeled right in front of a hangar, catching fire.
    The pilot was rescued from the wreckage but did not resist, he died a few hours later in the hospital.

This plane was awarded Grand Champion in the homebuilder's category at the argentinean 25th EAA convention a couple of months before.

Building a replica of this plane would be a nice tribute to this bold builder and pilot.

So far for the background of this beautiful CJ-1 Starlet.

Marcus
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jh15235.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	1690949   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sn41758.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	209.9 KB 
ID:	1690950  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's sad. And it was a beautiful plane.

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes - it always is. Planes can be rebuilt or built again, but lives lost aren't replaceable.

I want to go public to thank Chad for sending me the plans in dwg format. Thanks man!
    Will report here when I start my building project.

Marcus

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anybody have a NIB corby starlet kit they want to sell?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 4wheelin711

*Anybody have a NIB corby starlet kit they want to sell?

Sold the one I had to lettaviation.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am building a Chris White 38% Corby Starlet for a friend. We are installing an Electic motor. Can anyone tell me the CG position. I need to make a battery platform and I will balance the model by moving the battery. I met Chris White at my local flying field last year and he flew his beautiful scale Corby. A great airplane. Close up it is better than the photos show.

Regards
    Tom Watson
    Sydney Australia

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Tom,

Good to hear from you again. In 2010 i was flying my Corby with a FT160 flat twin, I then re-engined it with a OS FT300 which helped both in the power department and and C/G. I am not sure about electric but I would mount the battery more on the forward side of the C/G. This well help take the bounce out of the landings that sometimes happens with the model. I have a copy of the instructions somewhere but I hope it mentions iy somewhere in the book about the C/G. All the same I would look to keep it nose heavy for you.... hope this helps.Take care

CHRIS WHITE

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Chris,

The model belongs to Noel Priestly. I think he got it from Brian Winch. I am helping him to get it going. I have extended the motor box and will mount the motor (it is electric equivalent of a 160 two stroke). Unfortunatly he does not have the instruction book, so I don't know where the CG is supposed to be. I was going to start with 25% of the chord. it should be safe at that.

It is a really well made model and I am sure it will fly well.

Noel is very excited about it.

Regards

Tom Watson
    Sydney Australia

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast