Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

What is the difference in these two aircraft

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

What is the difference in these two aircraft

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 02:25 AM
DGUY
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the difference in these two aircraft

I have a question,
What is the difference between a regular Cub and a Super Cub. I know that in the full size aircraft the engine in the Super Cub in more powerful and that is about all I do know. I am wondering about flight characteristics in the R/C versions.
Thanks
Derrick
Old 04-03-2010, 06:47 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What is the difference in these two aircraft

I don't have a ready source for a list of differences, but if we're being super detailed, they are significant enough that it takes quite a bit of work to bash a regular cub kit into a super cub. But superficially, the most visible differences are that the SuperCub has a different style of cowl (to accommodate that more powerful engine) and it also has flaps. It's the flaps that give bush-style Super Cubs their STOL abilities.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:15 AM
pd1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The RC versions of the J3 and Super Cub ( PA-18) should be the same.
As already mentioned the biggest differences are the cowl and flaps.

There are 3 two place tandem Cubs, J-3, PA-11 and PA-18.
The J-3 has wooden wing spars and the fuel tank in the nose, because of this it has to be soloed from the rear.
It had a 65 or 75 hp engine without an electrical system

The PA-11 has metal wing spars with either one or two wing tanks, it can be soloed from the front.
The PA-11 did not come with flaps, it has a 85 or 90 hp engine and usually had an electrical system.
It had a cowl very similar to the Super Cub and is easily mistaken for one.

The PA-18 Super Cub has a larger engine than the PA-11, started at 135hp and went to 150 hp.
It also has an additional air scoop under the cowl and electrical system was standard.
Also some more instruments started showing up on the instrument panel.
Some very early Super Cubs didn't have flaps, I don't know if these were modified PA-11's or actually labeled PA-18s.

Now having said all this, the J-3 and PA 11 has been around a long time. Many people recovering or repairing their airplanes have opted for updates. I flew a J-3 with metal spars.
I've seen some PA-18s with the engines exposed, usually towing banners.
Didn't come with them originally but someone changed them a long time ago.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:57 AM
Chip_Mull
My Feedback: (1)

Most J-3 Cubs are 65 HP and the PA-18 Super Cub can be as much as 150 HP with flaps and an enclosed cowl. The J-3 is low and slow and the Super Cub has the authority to get up and out. As for models, there is very little difference.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:13 AM
ARUP

There are some differences depending on time frame of production. Flying a fullscale Super vs a regular Cub is like comparing apples to oranges but as to models' flying performances the differences will be little. To emulate the fullscale put a smallish engine on a Cub and put a more reasonable sized one on your 'Super'. Here's some pics of my 1/6 SIG conversion to be covered soon. The wings plug in the cabin, the door is functional and a new cowl plug was made to make a FG cowl. It has attach points for floats and a tow release.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:33 AM
DGUY
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do thank you for setting me straight on the issue guys.
thanks Derrick