Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

WHAT IS THE VERY BEST 60 SIZE SCALE - 3D FLYING PLANE OUT THERE

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

WHAT IS THE VERY BEST 60 SIZE SCALE - 3D FLYING PLANE OUT THERE

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 03:53 PM
tony0707

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHAT IS THE VERY BEST 60 SIZE SCALE - 3D FLYING PLANE OUT THERE

HI WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHICH IS THE VERY BEST 60 SIZE SCALE PLANE FOR 3D FLYINGDO INCLUDE THE ENGINE YOU ARE USING PROP ETC THANK YOU TONY
Old 04-18-2010, 04:00 PM
Laird SS

Default RE: WHAT IS THE VERY BEST 60 SIZE SCALE - 3D FLYING PLANE OUT THERE

Why are you yelling at us?? Try using lower case letters. All caps is considered yelling.

What do you really mean by "scale"? Most, if not all "scale" planes, P-51, P-47, Stearman, Jungmeister, etc., aren't in the 3D category.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:34 PM
tony0707

HI i would be talking Extra 300-330-260 the EDGE 540CAP 232 and any other aerobatic planes-as in 3D flying -as i stated -not war birdsthey are not used to do 3D flying yelling was not my intensionjust easier reading BEST REGARDS TONY
Old 04-18-2010, 06:38 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd do a google search of "aerobatic airshows" and see what you find. Off-hand, I can think of the Extra, CAP, Sukhoi, and the various biplane types like the Pitts and Ultimate. BTW, check out the photos of the nice Ultimate on the Best Scale Photos page.

While these can all be pretty wild flyers, they are not exactly 3-D and typically don't do (can't do?) some of the more extreme moves that 3-D models routinely perform, for example hovering. There aren't many (if any) real aircraft that can hover. For that reason, I wouldn't call them 3-D models.

To count as "scale" in my mind, you'd have to build and fly the model in ways that mirror the original aircraft and its flight envelop.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:45 AM
tony0707

HI let me put this another way i am asking for the best flying 60-90 size aerobatic RC airplane -with scale demensions that will do 3d aerobatics for example at this time the AERO-WORKS EDGE 540 46-60 SIZE looks like it may be one of those airframes- any others come to mind all due respect looking at full scale planes does not help me with the RC scale flying model i am trying to locate the older FLITTON EXTRA 330 FREESTYLE I think 90 size plane is another but no longer made from my research so i am looking for a smaller type scale plane that flys great-( will do great 3D stuff ) any hands on experience with such an airframe is greatly appreciated do please indicate the engine prop size and brand you may be using ENJOY REGARDS TONY
Old 04-19-2010, 11:37 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the 3D aerobatic planes are stretched from scale to make them fly better. I would go with the Aeroworks if I was buying one. The IMAC threads would give you the best info.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:10 PM
tony0707

HI I will close this thread and go to a different location
Old 04-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You don't seam to realize that you're asking the impossible question.

First off, which scale plane flies 3D better is an oxymoron. Ya see, full scale aerobatic planes don't fly 3D. They can't. Wing loading too high. Power too low. Control surfaces too small.

2nd - our little toy models aren't anywhere NEAR real scale. The airfoils are different due to Reynolds numbers. The control surfaces are WAY over-sized. The placement of the horizontal and vertical stabilizers are all modified. The engines are overpowered for the actual size of the plane.

3rd - which airframe design flies better is a matter of opinion. The Cap, Extra, Edge, Giles, Yak, Sukhoi, MX2, Pitts etc. etc. will all perform aerobatics very well. There is no definitive answer as to which one flies the best. They all excel at certain maneuvers and they all have shortcomings with other maneuvers. None of them are perfect. You have to pick one and learn to fly it - or pick one and modify it, in which case it wouldn't be "scale" anymore - or fly a LOT of different types of airframes by different designers and then pick the one you like best.

So, if you can accept that none of our airplanes are really "scale" and then understand why most of the previous posters were giving vague answers - then we can have a discussion.

I've got one of the best darn 3D foamies ever made. It's light. It's tough. It's powerful. Can I fly it to it's full potential? Nope. The airframe is about 10x more capable than my thumbs and brain are.

Honestly, if you want to fly 3D I would suggest you think long and hard about what the top pro 3D pilots are always telling newbies:
Foamies and 40's

Foamies are cheap and tough. They are quick to build and usually very reliable with regard to power. Plug it in and fly.

40% scale and larger planes are the best at 3D, but not everyone can afford to wreck 50 of them while learning 3D.

So, forget about the glow powered 60 size junk. Yes, it's all junk. You can quote me on that.

Get an electric foamie around 26-30oz that uses a 40 amp ESC. Fly it and wreck it until it's a 3lb ball of glue and popsicle sticks. Go buy another one. Fly that one until it's a 3.5lb ball of glue and popsicle sticks. Now do that about 3 more times. Finally, about 2yrs from now, go get yourself a 200cc gasser and strap it on the nose of your 40% plane.

THAT is the best 3D scale plane. [8D]

I know thats not the answer you wanted to hear. You asked for a 60 size 3D plane thats scale. What I'm trying to help you with is this:
It's all junk. 60 size glow planes don't 3D worth beans. If you REALLY want to learn 3D - you need an electric foamie. Glow engines suck. Gassers are too expensive to learn on because budding 3D pilots crash A LOT. Even a stick built glow plane is a pain in the butt. Every time you dork it, you'll spend 10hrs in the shop fixing it just so you can go fly again. With a foamie, you just pick it up, fit the pieces back together like a jigsaw puzzle - slap some foam safe CA on the thing and hit it with the kicker. You're flying again in 5 MINUTES.

You wanna fly?

Or you wanna fix busted balsa?

Get a foamie and fly it until your eyes bleed!!! Then put on some sunglasses and fly it some more!!! [8D]