Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

C121 Constellation Project

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

C121 Constellation Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 03:01 AM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: C121 Constellation Project

Looking great now, man i can't see those hack marks anywhere, sure its not the same nose.....LOL

Yeah i know what ur saying n that was one of 2 reasons why i did mine in all foam structure Vs built-up as urs.....
Old 04-25-2011, 05:55 AM
dleboeuf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't hack off the whole nose section, just behind F21 is where I cut off the old one.

I then glued on a new nose section former 1/2" bigger than the old one. I also moved it 1/4" to the left to fix the not stright problem and flush at the bottom since that area was okay. Then I just filled in with 1/8" balsa sheet around the fuse to the first former.

I had to put 3 layers in some places and then sanded it all back off with 30 grit paper then used100 grit followed by 180 & 320. And it turned out amost perfect. It's now straight and has the correct profile.

I didn't take any pictures along the way since Ididn't want anybody to see my blunders. I'll try to do better whenI straighten out the back 2 stations. I'm open for suggestions on how to fix that! I think I'm going to have to remove the sheeting from the back three or four stations to fix that problem. Anybody get a better idea. I'll try to post a picture this afternoon that shows this problem.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:52 PM
xTheWolfman

ORIGINAL: Props4ever

If you look up at Ebay, you can find these there. If u haven't gone through these threads http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_45...page_37/tm.htm , then i suggest you do as these are very old Kyousho plans from 60's for control line model. We have modified them into full RC plans to make out models plus they have there good share of errors in the areas of fuselage that need attention before commencing builds.
Thanks for the info.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Props4ever

ORIGINAL: xTheWolfman

If you look up at Ebay, you can find these there. If u haven't gone through these threads http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_45...page_37/tm.htm , then i suggest you do as these are very old Kyousho plans from 60's for control line model. We have modified them into full RC plans to make out models plus they have there good share of errors in the areas of fuselage that need attention before commencing builds.
Thanks for the info.

Hey No problem Wolfman.

You can also get any scale CAD designed plans for S Connies, as big as 1/6th scale monster from these guys:
www.cmsmithplans.com

Tell Mike i sent ya.....
Old 04-27-2011, 07:12 AM
dleboeuf

After thinking about the problem in the back, I think I have a solution that will be an easy fix. I'm going to cut a new former then cut it in half, mount it to the existing former that is off by 1/4" and fill in with balsa to fix. Should be no different than the front was to fix.

I think I'm going to go for more scale on the fuse and stab mounting also. In the full scale Connie the stab is notched in the front and the lead edge actually overlaps the fuse by approx 20 to 25%. I haven't measured and figured out the exact measurments yet. I will work on that after I fix the fuse. Since my stab will be removable for transport, this should give a more scale appearance when assembled.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:26 PM
xTheWolfman

Hey No problem Wolfman.

You can also get any scale CAD designed plans for S Connies, as big as 1/6th scale monster from these guys:
www.cmsmithplans.com

Tell Mike i sent ya.....
Outstanding....They have the XP-67! Thanks tons. I will make sure to tell Mike you sent me.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:12 PM
dleboeuf

Okay the previous idea was a bust. I cut all the planking off the section with the twist and have all my alignment marks ready to resheet. I have to install the bracing first but it should go pretty quick.

It took me a while to figure out how to align this thing. It's longer than any straight edge I own. So I tried string and several other things with no luck. Then thought Hah, laser! I just happen to have a laser level and the rest is history. It went very smoothly after that. Here are a few pictures I snapped along the way.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21854.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	589.3 KB
ID:	1600673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19921.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	443.0 KB
ID:	1600674   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17901.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	578.9 KB
ID:	1600675   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg97849.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	634.0 KB
ID:	1600676   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59160.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	1600677   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28129.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	1600678   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68305.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	633.0 KB
ID:	1600679  
Old 04-29-2011, 03:23 AM
Props4ever

Dennis,

R u building this right off the original plans or did u enlarged the plans to another scale?

If it's off the original plans then non of my parts will fit ur model as i enlarged mine to 1/14th scale....
Old 04-29-2011, 05:54 AM
dleboeuf

Here is a shot of N5 from my plans, the measurement is 5.66". This should be the firewall on the engine pod.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ge96274.pdf (56.1 KB, 31 views)
Old 04-29-2011, 06:27 PM
Props4ever

ORIGINAL: dleboeuf

Here is a shot of N5 from my plans, the measurement is 5.66''. This should be the firewall on the engine pod.

Make ur nacelles from scratch Dennis, i did mine from scratch as ones on these plans are totally wrong and out of place!....

If u were doing off scale or sports scale model then do it as per these plans but since u r making scale model, then do it properly....

Take a look at post # 163 on this link, that is how i did my nacelles...: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_45..._7/key_/tm.htm
Old 05-17-2011, 05:01 AM
dleboeuf

Have not spent much time with the project this month. My grandmother has lymphoma and was recently moved to hospice. But plan to pickup where I left off when this is over.

Cheers!
Old 07-24-2011, 06:08 PM
dleboeuf

I worked on the connie a bit this weekend. Still trying to finish up the sheeting on the tail section. Should be over soon though, I only have a few more pieces of sheeting on the bottom section. Then I can start on the horizontal stab and new rudder assemblies. Will post pictures soon, been working on the cabin windshield section also.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:01 PM
warbird lover

ORIGINAL: dleboeuf

Well I guess my description was a little vague. By panel lines I meant each sheet of aluminum that was installed on the plane during assembly. I have detailed views of a lot of the plane but some of the views are very difficult to find. I have most of the lower panels and views.

The ones I am missing specificaly are the top wing panels from the outboard engine to the wing tip and top tail section and top fuse. Most of the pictures I have are from the ground and do not show the detail of the top for a scale build. I have several kits on order, but again at 144 scale a 10'' wingspan of a 123ft aircraft is not going to show much detail.

I think the closest real plane is in arizona, but even if I visited the real plane I don't know how I would get pictures of the top. I'm probably going to build it first and worry about the covering details when I finish it.

Your right on the covering options on civilian vs military. There are many more options in civilian than the military version. I still like the C-69 Mats military version, and my favorite on the civilian versions are these two.
Found your building forum tonight while researching another project. If you are interested there is a C121 at Lackland AFB in San Antonio in their outside aircraft museum painted in MATS colors.

Warbird Lover
Old 01-25-2012, 10:31 PM
Props4ever

Dennis,

Hope all.is well with u, havent seen u in rhis season so far. Hope to see u making progress
on ur Constellation model. Hopefully mine will be done in next 2-3 months....
Old 01-26-2012, 05:57 AM
dleboeuf

I had a few other projects to build, built a old timer for my stepfather for christmas and still have 3 boats to go for a brother in law. Will get back on this project soon though. Good to hear from you again, hope all is going well with you.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Props4ever

OK now where are you with your Constellation Dennis.

I sure want to see progress happening on your model before thinking that you have shelved it for good....
Old 05-10-2012, 08:50 AM
dleboeuf

Well I have not given up on this project, I just had a few distractions lately. I plan to pickup this project again some time in the future. I have had a lot of other stuff going on and have not had the time to work on this project. None of the projects that I am working on are plane related.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:31 PM
Props4ever

Just hope you don't give up, will see when you get back at it. If you do change ur mind on it and want to sell it, do get in touch with me pls.