Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

TMMY Composite 1/5 Scale Cessna 182

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

TMMY Composite 1/5 Scale Cessna 182

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 03:02 AM
hotspot 01

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: TMMY Composite 1/5 Scale Cessna 182

Got my Dle 20cc for it this week now onto ordering the model looks great.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Ozflyboi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: hotspot 01

Got my Dle 20cc for it this week now onto ordering the model looks great.
Hi Hotspot,

Good to hear your ordering one of these models also. Hope you get a reply soon from Tommy. He has been busy working on quite a number of customer projects.

I have also looked into the DLE 20cc motor. My only concern is that as the distance between the prop washer and the cylinder head is quite short, which may mean that the cowling will need to be cleared on the underside front portion.

I have referenced the dimension from DL Engines Australia website. www.dlenginesaustralia.com

I may still stick with my original plan of using the ASP 160 motor. The FEMA on board starter should be arriving in a week or so.

Cheers,
Steve

Old 12-07-2010, 11:31 PM
hotspot 01

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

May need to put an extention on the shaft to have it sitting as close to the firewall as I can get it also got in contact with Tommy and plans are in place on ordering a kit.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:57 PM
Ozflyboi

Excellent news!!

I was concerned about using a prop extension on the motor as this could create vibration issues associated with the propeller/motor.

Are these readily available?

Any information you may have on these prop hub extensions would be a bonus.

Cheers,
Steve

Old 12-14-2010, 04:55 PM
Ozflyboi

Hi Guys,

It's been a little while since my last post as I've been quite busy leading up to Xmas and the New Year fast approaching.

Having a little time off work during the holiday season so will have some time to get to work on this model.

Also my servos finally arrived along with the batteries and fueling peripherals.

First up will be getting my Optotronix lighting fitted to the model. The rudder fin rot beacon lens actually came out quite easily. It looks like Tommy used a shoe goop type adhesive which was good as I want to change this.

I have not yet made up my mind as to whether i use the ASP 160 motor as I am still waiting for my onboard starter to arrive. I was told it should be arriving before xmas.

I suspect this model will be quite tail heavy due the size of the model and being composite construction, so extra weight up front in the engine is preferred. hence why i am giving much consideration in using the ASP with the on board starter. There is the ballast and hopefully no extra lead (dead weight) required.

I will have a better picture of this once I receive the on board starter and can fit it to the motor. The only other thing is whether it will fit in under the cowling. I have taken some rough measurements but of course I cannot be certain until I have it all together. It is looking promising so far though in that having the motor mounted forward for the prop hub to clear the cowling, this will provide room for the starter motor mounted behind the motor.

Regards,
Steve
Old 12-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Ozflyboi

Hi Guys,

I managed to make a start on the lighting install for this model.

Firstly I started off with the Red tail beacon and tail cone (white) installs.

The key here is to use a Dremel rotary tool with a metal circular tip and then to finish off with the smaller drum type sander tip.

Just be sure to take your time and not rush it as that is how you make mistakes.

See pics for the attached completed. Also note that I have used a knife edge reamer to start off the centre hole. This just simplifies the task I have found.

I am now working on the wing lighting and once this is done I will continue with the Aileron and Flap servo installs.

Merry Christmas to all following this thread.

Regards,
Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65100.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1537494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39677.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	473.4 KB
ID:	1537495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34721.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	426.5 KB
ID:	1537496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67128.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	459.7 KB
ID:	1537497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny25643.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	441.2 KB
ID:	1537498  
Old 12-25-2010, 01:53 PM
daviddavid_007

Merry Christmas to everyone,

Good job, Steve. Keep them coming.
I can't wait to see your finished product.
Oh, Steve. How long did it take for Tommy to deliver your plane?

Thanks,
David
Old 01-10-2011, 03:50 AM
Ozflyboi

Hi Guys,

Well I know its been a while since I have posted on the thread.

With Christmas and the new year kicking off have not had allot of time to work on the plane.

I am in the process of wiring up the wings for the lighting using the Optotronix emitters. A little bit of work to go but should have it all done in a couple of nights.

I have run the ASP 160 motor and man oh man she is one sweet motor. So smooth and very little vibration which I am really pleased with. One thing that would concern me with this model being composite is having allot of vibration transferred through the airframe from the motor. This was one reason why I have stuck with a twin cylinder option.

Still waiting for the FEMA on board starter to arrive, however it should not be far away now as it was shipped on the 28/12 from Germany.

I will keep you posted when I have more to show and tell.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 03-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Ozflyboi

Hi all,

It has been much too long since I last posted on this thread.

Moving along I have now completed the wing servo installation and setup. I am using Hitec digital 5625MG programmable servos which simplifies things as far being able to customize the center and end point positions via the HP20 Servo programmer.

Also have made more progress with the wing lighting am now getting ready to complete the mounting of the emitters.

With the ACL's I have marked the positions on the wingtips and used the dremel to clear out a hole. A simple scale aluminum backing plate was cut out and formed which will act as the backing plate which just so happens to be a scale feature in the 182's.

I have now wired up all the lights except for the landing lights which I intend to do tonight.

Servo wing wiring looms have been made up and now I just need to make up the ones for the fuselage/rx side.

I am pushing along nicely as I would like to try and get this model flying by the end of this month.

The FEMA onboard starter has arrived and I have trial fitted it to the ASP 160FT motor. I am now working out if and how this will fit inside the cowling. My only concern now is the clearance with this unit and the top of the cowling. If it doesn't fit then I will just stick with the conventional method and use the unit on another model.

Another addition to this plane is I am having a scale pilot of "myself", namely mini me made for this plane as well as a larger version for my 1.3 scale TMMY Cessna 182. I will post some pics of when the pilot's arrive but they should be an excellent addition to the scale appearance of the aircraft.

I will post more pics of the overall construction soon.

Steve
Old 03-16-2011, 03:32 AM
Ozflyboi

For those are still following this thread I have finished with the wings. All lighting and servo installs are now completed.

Next up is tailplane installation which is a permanent fixture unlike the bigger variant 35% TMMY 182.

I am now starting to look at the engine install of which I have to regretfully say that I now have the onboard FEMA starter here although the complete motor with assembly fitted will not fit under the cowl, sadly []

Ah well the model will still be great even so.

Here are a few photos of trial fitting the wings and tailplane. This is the first time I have had it all assembled.

Steve

Name:	ig13749.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	1579507   Click image for larger version

Name:	wr55701.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	1579508   Click image for larger version

Name:	kq35644.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	970.9 KB
ID:	1579509   Click image for larger version

Name:	jc86123.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	888.5 KB
ID:	1579510   Click image for larger version

Name:	fq88086.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	717.3 KB
ID:	1579511   Click image for larger version

Name:	oe57241.jpg
Views:	1639
Size:	806.5 KB
ID:	1579512   Click image for larger version

Name:	pr24044.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	552.4 KB
ID:	1579513   Click image for larger version

Name:	az85995.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	692.7 KB
ID:	1579514  

Click image for larger version

Name:	jh75580.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	790.6 KB
ID:	1579515  
Old 03-19-2011, 07:42 PM
cgcrc

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Steve;

Great to see the progress on your 1/5th 182, got to still get that nice lighting system for the 185.....

Sorry to hear re the FEMA with the engine not fitting, as you mentioned, you can use the FEMA for your next build, but I know what it is like when you have your build set on all the components.

Nice weather it looks like you are having over there from your pics, I'll trade you, however our weather is starting to get a little better, it's above freezing these days.

I'll be in touch.

Regards
Randy
Old 03-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Ozflyboi

Hi Randy,

Yes the weather is probably a little finer over here at the moment although it won't stay like this for long. Winter is fast approaching.. []

A few more items have been ticked off my build list and now I am getting the motor mount constructed out of 3 ply.

As the ASP 160 has a rear mounted backplate this seemed like the most sensible solution.

I'm also really happy that the servo/lighting wire looms have now been hidden behind the interior side panels. The Receiver and Batteries will mount under the floor panels as well.

I forgot to mention the tail plane has been glued in place and all servo connections have been completed.

The Hitec digital servos sure make it that much simpler to setup using the HP-20 servo programmer.

More updates to follow.

Steve

Name:	vs55572.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	1583033   Click image for larger version

Name:	wr55220.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	1583034  
Old 03-25-2011, 08:48 AM
cgcrc

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Steve;

"She's" looking sweet now, nice to be able to hide the wiring under the panels......
Just moving to that stage now on my build.

Also figuring out the tank setup for the 212.

Keep up the great effort on your build, and keep us posted.

Regards
Randy
Old 03-29-2011, 05:07 AM
Ozflyboi

Hi Randy,

Great to see your 185 project progressing.

Just to keep everyone updated of my progress I have now completed the motor install and fitting of cowling. I had to cut clearance holes on either side for the rockers to hang out but all in all it did not turn out too bad.

My main reason for sticking with the twin cylinder motor was that I wanted to steer away from excessive vibration of which is common in the single cylinder petrol motors.

Next up will be the fuel lines followed by fitting the spinner and prop.

Just a little more and I think she will be ready for a Maiden fly.

I will let you all know the overall weight of the model and also how I go with the centre of gravity balance point.

Stay tuned for more details soon.

Cheers,
Steve

Name:	ec88016.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	377.1 KB
ID:	1585718   Click image for larger version

Name:	aw70575.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	367.1 KB
ID:	1585719   Click image for larger version

Name:	lq37312.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	546.9 KB
ID:	1585720   Click image for larger version

Name:	tn32255.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	485.9 KB
ID:	1585721   Click image for larger version

Name:	xi62328.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	397.6 KB
ID:	1585722   Click image for larger version

Name:	tk76323.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	342.3 KB
ID:	1585723   Click image for larger version

Name:	gi85094.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	319.2 KB
ID:	1585724   Click image for larger version

Name:	lk34232.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	1585725  

Old 09-10-2011, 03:40 AM
Perthbro

Hi Chaps,

I recently received my new TMMY 1/5 Cessna and it's time to start putting my baby together.

Before I go crazy I thought I would ask those in the know.

I'm starting with the tail section and notice when I install the elevators onto the tail, I cannot rotate the elevators as they are catching on the overhang of the tail section above and below the mating edge.

Do I trim them back or am I pushing the elevators in too deep?

The same happens when I install the rudder onto the tail section.

Any advice would be appreciated before I trim something I shouldn't.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 09-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Ozflyboi

Hi Ian,

As to your question on the hinge gap for elevator and rudder.

The answer to this is yes you do not want to push them in too far.

What I did was used some fine sand paper to clean up the inside lip of the elevator/rudder false trailing edges to smoothen out any of the bumps from the resin when Tommy glued these in.

Also when glueing the control surfaces in I used several thin peices of balsa as a spacer that sits between the false leading edge and the surface to ensure the gap is even along the entire length.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Steve
Old 09-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Perthbro

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for the response mate. Much appreciate it.

Your advise was most helpful in that I had the same problem with the ailerons. Advise taken and I can happily report the control surfaces are now all fitted and await final attaching.
Before I do though I noticed even with cleaning up the edges and spacing the back edge I don't get much throw on the ailerons. Around 12-15mm. Is this enough for this plane?
I don't see how one can get 25mm according to the book without cutting back the leading edges. 

I am hoping you could also help with the following problem. I trial fitted the rudder and only get about 5mm throw because the control rod is hindered by the stabilser inside the fuselage. I take it I need to bend the control rod perpendicular to the fuse. If I do this then the elevator control rod will be in the way.
May I ask how you solved this problem?

Cheers,
Ian

Old 09-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Ozflyboi

ORIGINAL: Perthbro

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for the response mate. Much appreciate it.

Your advise was most helpful in that I had the same problem with the ailerons. Advise taken and I can happily report the control surfaces are now all fitted and await final attaching.
Before I do though I noticed even with cleaning up the edges and spacing the back edge I don't get much throw on the ailerons. Around 12-15mm. Is this enough for this plane?
I don't see how one can get 25mm according to the book without cutting back the leading edges.

I am hoping you could also help with the following problem. I trial fitted the rudder and only get about 5mm throw because the control rod is hindered by the stabilser inside the fuselage. I take it I need to bend the control rod perpendicular to the fuse. If I do this then the elevator control rod will be in the way.
May I ask how you solved this problem?

Cheers,
Ian

Hi Ian,

Firstly with the Ailerons I also was a little concerned I would not have enough although when I did the maiden flight I soon realised that they were way too sensitive so I backed them. I would say only set the maximum mechanical travel on your Highest rate and for low rate I would almost halve this. Just keep in mind they are full strip Ailerons and there is quite a bit of area on these which can make this deceiving. I cannot recall the exact amount I am getting on mine. I will have to check this when I assemble the model next time. I think anymore than 15mm is way too much in any case. I think Tommy may have made a type in the manual.

With the Rudder and Elevator I have taken some photos for you to refer to. I hope this answers your question as I was a little unsure if you were referring to the front or rear hookups. Photos are of both so I do hope it makes sense.

I have also provided the control rates settings from my transmitter (JR 12X) for your reference.

Aileron / Elevator
POS0 74% Expo +30%
POS1 100% Expo +28%

Rudder - I can recall using the hitec servo programmer to digitally set the end points, this was for maximum mechanical travel. For such a small plane the rudder is not so powerful, much like a 40 size trainer. Still quite manageable.
POS0 100% Expo +34%
POS1 100% Expo +30%

Flap System settings
NORM UP 100% ELEV 0%
MID - 0% ELEV D 14%
LAND DOWN 100% ELEV D 24%

Delay 2.0 sec

When your ready to maiden her just make sure you take heaps of photos beforehand. This model can be a bit of a handful on take off and landing. Just need to make sure she has plenty of speed in both cases. My poor unfortunate Cessna has been labelled a pylon racer. But yes these smaller ones are much heavier than the built up wooden counterparts so the loading on the wings is much higher. Watch out for Tip Stalls as well as accelerated stalls, especially downwind. I had a wake up call when the plane decided to wing drop and spiral down. It had my full attention I can assure you.

Hope this info helps and good luck with the rest of the build!

Cheers,
Steve

Name:	Ig12457.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	1663238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10523.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	1663239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz70198.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	1663240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf94851.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	1663241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx22123.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	1663242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xn87949.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	1663243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zb58850.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1663244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl40898.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	1663245  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz48585.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	1663246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Er79898.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1663247  
Old 09-17-2011, 04:53 AM
Perthbro

Steve,

Again thanks a plenty for all the info and advice. It is most appreciated and the photos are faaaaaaantastic.
They show me all I need to know.
Safe to say I am now happy to proceed with glueing and screwing. I was a bit nervous but now good to go.

Kind Regards,
Ian
Old 10-01-2011, 09:54 AM
airsteve172

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Steve,

As someone who is currently working on the same size TopFlite kit and discovered this thread only a few days ago, I'd like to thank you for posting some of the most informative photos of this model that I had ever seen!!! While the model I'm building and yours are two entirely separate entities, the data you've supplied has helped me immeasurably in evaluating the appearance of the details and determining how critical the fit and finish is to the final look of the model.

My interest in a 182 model is generated from the fact that I am a full scale pilot with a bit of RC experience. It dawned on me one day, how cool it would be to capture all the details of a full size 182 in an RC model, the kind of subtle details that you don't normally see associated with RC, like the depressions that the rivets make in the aluminum skin, how the windows are installed, how the doors fit into their frames, etc. Although I've never attempted a scale RC model until now, I've somehow figured out ways of duplicating the kind of detail that I've so wanted to see and I'm slowly and patiently accomplishing a little at a time a caliber of detail that is to my satisfaction. I never realized however, just how tedious and time consuming the process could be. Because of this, I've had a great curiosity about the level of detail and workmanship that someone like TMMY would offer.

From the magnificent photos posted in this thread, I can now see that this product is a far cry from what I'm trying to achieve, but at the same time, I must say that the price is more than reasonable for the amount of hand work that must have gone into the manufacturing process of this model. In any event, the look of this TMMY model would easily stand out on most any weekend gathering at the flying field.

Thanks again for the information and the inspiration and wishing you many happy landings!

(another) Steve
Old 11-17-2011, 06:51 PM
alexeev75

Hi All
Steve (Ozflyboi), could you tell total weight the craft?
And where did you instal a battery?
All regards
Vitaly
Old 11-17-2011, 07:08 PM
Ozflyboi

Hi Vitali,

My 1/5 Cessna came out at 9kgs which is very heavy for a model of this size. I was originally using three 6 cell NIMH batteries, however to reduce weight I have removed one of these.

Both batteries are located in the front bay under the floor almost directly beneath the fuel tank but set back to the cross member on the floor.

Due to the weight the wing loading is fairly high so care needs to be taken when flying this model.

I have decided not to fly my Cessna in scale ARF competition as it does not handle as well as I had hoped.

Still it is an excellent looking model and great for those scale rallies and club weekend events.

Best Wishes,
Steve
Old 11-17-2011, 07:27 PM
alexeev75

Steve, thank you
will think
Old 11-18-2011, 02:34 AM
Perthbro

Hey Steve,

Been slowly plugging away at my cessna and have since bought a OS 155 ALHPA PUMPED motor.
Busy running her in. Looks like fitting the Muffler into the cowling might be a problem.

Your comment re how this bird flies is a concern to me.
A heads up as to what to expect before I take off would be appreciated.
What does she tend to do or rather what should I not do when flying her?

I fly mainly scale and scale planes. This is my second 80", the other is an 80" Cirrus SR32. I had the 40" Cessna 185 before and it flew quite well until I had a mishap with it.

Cheers,
Ian

Old 11-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Ozflyboi

Hi Ian,

As to your concerns over my last post, you just need to be aware that with this Cessna being a little heavier than a built up model of the same size and scale, that it will need to be flown a little faster and will not be able to slow down as much as a lightly loaded model.

I've already experienced one wing drop up high which certainly grabbed my attention very quickly.

As long as your not expecting too much from this model then you will be fine.

I did not buy this model for aerobatics and I do not recommend this model for this sort of flying.

As I have said before my Cessna flies well, although it can be challenging to perform some manoeuvres due to the higher wing loading.

When you do maiden fly this bird be sure it has plenty of airspeed and do not be too greedy on the elevator.

Same goes for landing, use the flaps to help reduce the stall speed of the model and most of all do not hold off too long or slow the model too much.

Hopefully this info helps.

Cheers,
Steve