RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   Grumman F3F2 plans (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/1064696-grumman-f3f2-plans.html)

mselby 08-18-2003 01:37 AM

Grumman F3F2 plans

Has anyone run into a set of plans for the Grumman F3F-2 ?
Mike

mcrouchman 08-18-2003 02:53 AM

Grumman F3F2 plans

Hey Mselby,

I just acquired a set of Ziroli HellCat F6F plans...I bought them from a guy on ebay, they are HUGE! i am going to take the venture and try and build the plane in the next year or so. this isn't the same plane you are looking for, but if you are interested, I may be able to do some combing and see if the guy I bought these from has the F3F-2 plans to sell, if that is what you are looking to do. He has a Multitude of plans that he sells on a regular basis. AND if you would be interested in these particular plans I have, maybe you might want a copy? The plans are for an 86 inch wingspan!...FANTASTIC detail as well. let me know.

Cheers!

mselby 08-18-2003 03:14 AM

Grumman F3F2 plans

thanks for the offer on the Hellcat, but it is rather far off from the F3F2, what I am looking for is information on who may have produced plans for this plane.
Mike

CoosBayLumber 08-18-2003 01:28 PM

Grumman F3F2 plans

Walt Musciano did the plans for the F3F kit which was produced by Polk's Hobbies. The A/C has a span of about 40 inches, and is quite ruggedly built. There are a few versions of this A/C kit out there, and the last version was for four channel radio. I think it was pulled off the market about 1980 due to poor sales. Walt still has these plans available. His address is noted at bottom.

No retracting gear was shown, as none was produced back then. The Robart/Century gears recently introduced are for the F4F. This gear "resembles" the F3F but is different in linkage, angles, etc. As I remember, a few F3F A/C were reproduced in full size about ten years ago, and flown through Chino airport.

Wm.

Plans at:
Walt Musciano
133a Dell Glen
Lodi New Jersey, 07644
(973) 340-9410

mselby 08-18-2003 09:59 PM

Grumman F3F2 plans

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
Mike

bobripley-RCU 08-19-2003 12:45 AM

Grumman F3F-2

Hello Mike,

I have an Aristo-Craft (Polk) F3F-2 kit in my stash of kits waiting to be built. The wing span is 48" and the box states that a .40 -.60 size engine is required. It has been awhile since I looked through this kit but as I remember the landing gear is very basic. Music wire bound with cooper wire and then soldered. Non-retractable. That's to be expected for a model this size. Even though I love the subject it is a good way down my building priority list. You are a long LONG away from West-By-God-Virginia, but if this model suites your fancy maybe we can find a way of getting it to you.

carlbecker 08-19-2003 03:52 PM

Grumman F3F2 plans

I have a 1/4 scale set and probably will never use them.
Carl

mselby 08-20-2003 01:37 AM

Grumman F3F2 plans

Bob, thanks for the reply, but I prefer to build against plans, and will probably develop my own plan, I wanted to see what some other plans look like as a reference point.
Carl, I would be interested in the 1/4 scale plans, who drew them? and how much would you like for them airmailed to Thailand?
Regards
Mike

carlbecker 08-20-2003 11:00 AM

Grumman F3F2 plans

Mike,
send me a private email [email protected]

Carl

JohnBlankenship 08-20-2003 08:59 PM

Grumman F3F

On the Gary Hunter's Plan Page at:

http://www.theplanpage.com/Months/2010/2010.htm

you will find a downloadable plan for a rubber powered F3F1 "Gumman Fighter". It may not be just what you're looking for, but it's free.

John Blankenship

mselby 08-20-2003 11:28 PM

Grumman F3F2 plans

thanks John
Mike

HalH 08-21-2003 12:23 AM

F3F

I have a set of plans I would be glad to send to you for the cost of shipping. I could also have them enlarged for you to any size you want. Once again for whatever it costs. I received the plans from Grumman years ago. The wingspan is 42 inches.

bobripley-RCU 08-21-2003 02:04 AM

Grumman F3F2 plans

No problem. I understand completely!

Mike Denest 08-21-2003 10:33 AM

Grumman Iron Works

RCM has plans available for the Grumman G-22, the civil version of the F3F. The model was designed by Lou Peretti for .60 power and four channel radio. The model was built the "Gulfhawk" flown by Col. Al Williams in the 1930's for airshow work. The model is also eligible for VR/CS events.

mselby 08-29-2003 08:47 AM

Grumman F3F2 plans

Thanks Mike,
will check out RCM
Mike

slipkid 09-02-2003 02:21 PM

F3F-2 Plans

Hi MIke,
I am actually starting out my own design of this ship and am planning it around the Robart F4F gear. I finally got myself a CAD drawing of the gear layout, since the ship scaling has to fit these gear. I am planning on 1/5 scale on the F3F, which yields about an 80" top wingspan. I am in early design stages where I have to decide on airfoil, one piece vs. two piece wing, etc. I like to settle most of these questions early since they have major design impact. Let me know if you find any plans, I did my own search and found nothing recent nor bigger than the RCM plans

Joe Finkelstine

mselby 09-04-2003 09:04 AM

Grumman F3F2 plans

Hi Joe,
Interestingly enough it was the Robart Wildcat gear that got me moving on doing an F3 design. It sounds like we are working on fairly similar parameters.
Regards
Mike

slipkid 09-04-2003 04:12 PM

Grumman F3F2 plans

Hi Mike,
Yep, it sounds like we started from the same inspiration - how far are you in your design? - I am just starting out myself

CoosBayLumber 09-04-2003 11:25 PM

Grumman F3F2 plans

You do know that the real F4F and the F3F A/C have different designs of landing gear. The links look different as you will see.

Wm.

mselby 09-09-2003 12:19 AM

RE: Grumman F3F2 plans

Hi Joe,
Just back from out of town, hence the slow response. I am not very far along on the F3, I am currently drawing the fuse, formers and stations.
Regards
Mike

clausxpf 09-09-2003 02:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
you are not the only one fidling with F3F - 2
Especially to make those reacts work for simple RC made me come up with this..
The spacious body of the plane makes it ideal for Electric-power, and scale props 15 " are awaileble so why not make it to fit that. That is what I have in mind.
If any of you get better details of the cockpit outlines I wold be happe to see those.
Claus

slipkid 09-10-2003 09:18 AM

Hi CusBayLumber,
Yes, I am well aware of the difference in the F4F and F3F landing gear. I had a long talk with both Robart and Century Jet at Toledo where they were showing the gear. SOme of the difference could be easily modified by me, but since I do not compete with my scale ships, I am not worried that anyone will notice that my F3F gear look a lot like the F4F gear. If I could build good enough to compete, I would work out a solution, but I fly for fun and the challenge of making a true scratch ship - the number of us in the hobby who do this are a dwindling breed!

mdugas 09-19-2003 10:40 PM

hi ,barrons scale plans had 1/4 scale gulhawk1a. may not be easy to find
good luck
mike

phreakish 11-13-2003 09:32 PM

I too am working on an F3F, have full wylam plans from MAN in the 60's... They're for static display and have measurements for the full sized plane... I noticed the drawing farther up, and the F3F did not have any upper wing dihedral, and only 2^ of lower wind dihedral... I also have drawings (without dimensions, unfortunately) of the geometry of the landing gear!

check out this link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=167195

Avaiojet 11-15-2003 07:14 PM

F3F Enthusiasts,

I'm working on an F3F also in 1/5 scale.

I havn't completely finished drawing the plans but I have sketches for the retracts.

I plan on making a working set out of balsa and dowels. I expect to make the operating one out of aluminum.

Problem isn't making the gear, getting it to go up and down is what I believe to be difficult.

Anyone know how Robart's go up and down? Cable, gears, electric?

Suggestions.

Charles

www.cfcgraphics.com